Notices

GSR stmbles upon rpm increase

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 09:34 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR stmbles upon rpm increase

My friend has a 98 GSR w/ many upgrades. Upgrades that might cause this occurence being, FMAX turbo kit, BTM 6, Unorthodox Crank Pulley (anything else you might question, don't hesitate to ask). Anyways, here is the problem:

Engine starts and idles fine. When throttle is hit, engine falls on it face and in some cases stahls. The rpm's never go above approximatley 1500 rpm's. Diagnostics are showing no codes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Help us out before we decide to smash the windows, throw it in a river and claim it under insurance .... j/k

Hope to hear from ya soon all fellow posters
Old 04-16-2002, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR stmbles upon rpm increase (tommybanzai)

What kind of fuel setup is he running?
Old 04-16-2002, 11:22 AM
New User

Default Re: GSR stmbles upon rpm increase (dragnGSR)

Factory Fuel Pump and Injectors, plus the 2 additional injectors plummed into the upper-intrcooler piping that comes with the FMAX set-up (contolled by ERL MF2). Fuel pressure stays level when the key is in start position. Fuel pump appears to be fine. This set-up ran perfect last summer. The only thing he has done differently over winter is change the crank pulley and patch the downpipe and is dumping exhaust into atmosphere instead of back into the downpipe.
Thought it might be the throttle positioning sensor, but did not show up on diagnostic run (can only be replaced with purchase of new throttlebody $$$).
Mind bogling, isn't it. Anything...suggestions are always welcome.
Thanx again
Old 04-16-2002, 01:13 PM
Trial User

Sounds ignition related to me. Check the MSD wiring.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GSR stmbles upon rpm increase (5 Liter Eater)

mihgt also be running too rich...just becasue it ran fine last summer doesn't mean it will this summer
Old 04-16-2002, 01:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: GSR stmbles upon rpm increase (Slow_ass_4dr)

make sure the MF2 is still set fine. make sure its adding fuel unless its in boost.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR stmbles upon rpm increase (00SilverLS)

The crank pulley may be starving the MF2 of voltage. Make sure its getting the 12 volts at idle. With my AEM alternator pulley, I get only 12.4 volts at idle depending on the accesory load (A/C, radio, etc.). I noticed this on my Apexi Auto Timer since it has a voltage display.

I've seen another sight mention that the MF2 being bad from the factory. It may not be adding fuel under boost at all. Can you measure the voltage to one of the additional injectors to make sure the MF2 is working?
Old 04-16-2002, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Im willing to bet lunch that its just the MAP and TPS plugs...

I think you have them switched backwards. Plugs the thing on the TPS into the MAP and the map plug into the TPS. you probably have them wired backwards. Ive done it before, and it sucked till i figured it out.
Old 04-17-2002, 06:21 AM
New User

Grab yourselves a beer gentlemen, while we kick ourselves in the *** from being so disgusted. Went as far as switching back to factory ignition (still wouldn't run). checked all the wiring (still wouldn't run), and many other things as well as ECU.
One F*#KING little bolt was loose a hair.... just a little bit. It was the ground for the wiring harness the connects on the backside of the engine. Who would have thought of that....huh... we were thinking worse case scenarios. 3 days of hell for one damn bolt. make sure all of your connections are solid, including the ones you would take for granted.

Thanks for the help anyways guys. Always appreciated. Fist dragwar is a little over a week away, Maple Grove Raceway... can't wait [IMG][/IMG]