Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   GSR Intake Manifold with IAB for quicker low-midrange spool? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/gsr-intake-manifold-iab-quicker-low-midrange-spool-3334068/)

0ptimus prime 02-19-2019 03:37 PM

GSR Intake Manifold with IAB for quicker low-midrange spool?

Hello,

I've searched, but I can't seem to find an answer to my question, which is limited to low-midrange turbo spool and power only (not high horsepower numbers). I'm building a turbo kit for my stock b18c1 engine. My priority for the car is stoplight-stoplight driveability with occasional autocross. I'll be using a go auto cast turbo manifold and a gtx2867r with Hondata S300. I don't care for high horsepower since my daily has plenty of power, and I care even less for a setup that spools late in the RPM range, since the instant spool of my ATS-V has me spoiled.

Is there any benefit to low-midrange turbo spool and power if I keep the stock GSR IM w/ IABs? I don't mind sacrificing horsepower numbers in exchange for quicker spool and a shifted power band, since I'm only aiming for 300hp. If the answer is no, then what is the best IM to go with for quickest turbo spool, Skunk 2?

TIA

turboLScrx 02-19-2019 03:47 PM

Re: GSR Intake Manifold with IAB for quicker low-midrange spool?

Originally Posted by 0ptimus prime (Post 51866415)
Hello,

I've searched, but I can't seem to find an answer to my question, which is limited to low-midrange turbo spool and power only (not high horsepower numbers). I'm building a turbo kit for my stock b18c1 engine. My priority for the car is stoplight-stoplight driveability with occasional autocross. I'll be using a go auto cast turbo manifold and a gtx2867r with Hondata S300. I don't care for high horsepower since my daily has plenty of power, and I care even less for a setup that spools late in the RPM range, since the instant spool of my ATS-V has me spoiled.

Is there any benefit to low-midrange turbo spool and power if I keep the stock GSR IM w/ IABs? I don't mind sacrificing horsepower numbers in exchange for quicker spool and a shifted power band, since I'm only aiming for 300hp. If the answer is no, then what is the best IM to go with for quickest turbo spool, Skunk 2?

TIA

keep stock intake. The bigger the turbo the slower the spool. You need a turbo that maxes out around 350-400hp range (a good t3/t4), the intake would not effect your spool. My stock B18C1 with a good t3/t4 was very fun with almost instantaneously spool up, I don’t know anything about the turbo your talking about and it’s capabilities, but my t3/t4 gave me an 11.6 @ 119mph at the track

0ptimus prime 02-19-2019 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by turboLScrx (Post 51866432)

keep stock intake. The bigger the turbo the slower the spool. You need a turbo that maxes out around 350-400hp range (a good t3/t4), the intake would not effect your spool. My stock B18C1 with a good t3/t4 was very fun with almost instantaneously spool up, I don’t know anything about the turbo your talking about and it’s capabilities

Excellent. Were you running the IABs like stock or did you have them deactivated/always open?

turboLScrx 02-19-2019 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by 0ptimus prime (Post 51866437)
Excellent. Were you running the IABs like stock or did you have them deactivated/always open?

I completely removed that section from my intake, now I will say that having a good intake like the S2 pro intake would help performance and save you some hassle

0ptimus prime 02-19-2019 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by turboLScrx (Post 51866442)

I completely removed that section from my intake, now I will say that having a good intake like the S2 pro intake would help performance and save you some hassle

I see, thanks. My question is more for someone who kept the OEM GSR IM with IABs working as they do in stock form. I want to know if that will result in quicker spool than if I changed to a Skunk 2.

turboLScrx 02-19-2019 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by 0ptimus prime (Post 51866448)
I see, thanks. My question is more for someone who kept the OEM GSR IM with IABs working as they do in stock form. I want to know if that will result in quicker spool than if I changed to a Skunk 2.

turbo cars need more air flow. Period. Those runners don’t open up until vtec if I’m not mistaken which could limit things, I have a dyno chart in my build page that shows a B18C1 curve with out the runners, the only way it could possibly spool faster would be if the car made more power with the runners closed which in return would expell more exhaust gases witch in return would spool the turbo faster..... which is doubtful

motoxxxman 02-19-2019 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by turboLScrx (Post 51866454)
the only way it could possibly spool faster would be if the car made more power with the runners closed which in return would expell more exhaust gases witch in return would spool the turbo faster..... which is doubtful

not doubtful, it's true. That's the entire purpose of the IAB's: to make more low rpm power.

OP, yes, keep the stock intake manifold, and keep the IAB's fuctional. It WILL make more low rpm power, and it WILL spool the turbo faster.
You want a gtx2860 though, not a 2867. The 67 will spool slower and later, and will likely surge a little at low rpm's as well. If you want under 350hp, fast spool, and low rpm power, the 67 will not satisfy your needs. The 60 will.

turboLScrx 02-20-2019 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by motoxxxman (Post 51866580)
not doubtful, it's true. That's the entire purpose of the IAB's: to make more low rpm power.

OP, yes, keep the stock intake manifold, and keep the IAB's fuctional. It WILL make more low rpm power, and it WILL spool the turbo faster.
You want a gtx2860 though, not a 2867. The 67 will spool slower and later, and will likely surge a little at low rpm's as well. If you want under 350hp, fast spool, and low rpm power, the 67 will not satisfy your needs. The 60 will.

i under stand the reason for the IAB’s, put when a forced induction comes into play things change. I understand that there is a fine line on gains and losses when you talking about staying under a certain power

Txdragon 02-20-2019 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by 0ptimus prime (Post 51866415)
Hello,

TIA

Before it turns into a bicker fest, if you're keeping stock cams, keep your IABs. If you're swapping cams, then an intake like S2 would be the way to go. From all the looking into the Bs I've done lately, this seems to be the way for the GSR. Cams=Aftermarket IM with no IAB. Stock cams=Stock IM with IAB.