Notices

gsr frankien stien boost help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gsr frankien stien boost help

just need a lil help bc im getting frustrated with this i have a gsr motor with a ls crank rods and pistons with the gsr oil squirters and girdle.....i have 310 injectors skunk2 intake manifold and a full greddy turbo kit it came with a fcu and the 310 injectors....its runnin off of stock boost i think bc it has an internal waste gauge.....and i don't have a boost controller....i have rebuilt prob about two motors messing around with this thing it keeps on cracking my pistons on the intake side and causing oil to come to the top of the head....is this due to the improper fuel mixture if so i have 440 rc will this help and also a fields sfc tuner....any input will help
Old 12-17-2008, 02:44 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm going to see if I can break this down a bit. *cracks knuckles*. Start using a bit of punctuation for the next post please..

Originally Posted by ekdrivern/a
just need a lil help bc im getting frustrated with this i have a gsr motor with a ls crank rods and pistons with the gsr oil squirters and girdle... skunk2 intake manifold and a full greddy turbo kit it came with a fcu and the 310 injectors.
this is part of the problem right here. You've change the entire displacement of the engine in several ways, not least of which more than likely will not work with the FCU that came with the greddy kit, even with the 310 injectors. The GS-R oil squirters even when bent to fit, 9 times out of 10 hit the pistons ever so slightly, when you have the LS crank and rods in the block. Think about it, the rod is made to create a longer stroke, which could easily hit that squirter and cause the piston to knock against the piston wall a bit.

its runnin off of stock boost i think bc it has an internal waste gauge.....and i don't have a boost controller

This is good you don't have one. Right now you don't need one either. It's not just the internal wastegate, but the FCU that is controlling the amount of boost being used. If you're using an intercooler, the Greddy kit for the GS/R or LS is about 8.5psi. If not, it will read the IAT and go down to about 6.5psi to avoid detonation. A boost controller is something you don't need right now, so don't sweat it. Let's go further, here.

i have rebuilt prob about two motors messing around with this thing it keeps on cracking my pistons on the intake side and causing oil to come to the top of the head....is this due to the improper fuel mixture

I'm not going to judge on your ability to build engines, since I don't know your background, but something is DEFINATELY wrong with the way you're clearancing and building this engine. It may be best to get a STOCK GS-R block, or send your engine to another builder to get a second opinion....you actually mean the girdle that covers the mains, like in a GS-R correct?..

if so i have 440 rc will this help and also a fields sfc tuner

Stop. That's enough.. the Fields isn't going to have the capability to control those injectors at all. It was not designed to control those that big. (especially from a tuning device that was popular back in 1997...Does my brother still have mine in his basement? ;-) )

You're at a point now where you need to stop spinning your wheels trying to "throw" this together and start fresh.
1 - If you really plan to use the Greddy kit, and insist on using a LS crank and rods, then take it apart, hone /cross hatch the cylinder walls, and get new pistons and rings (sounds like you messed these up pretty badly).

2 - stop half-assing fuel management. If you don't have the funds to get management a real tuner can work with, then stop, and wait. the Greddy FCU will not properly work with that setup unless it is the E-manage which can be tuned. If it is the older Blue box, with no controls on the side (Pre-2001) then do not use it. If it is a greddy E-manage, ether find a tuner that can work with it, or sell it and get other management. Take the Fields out.. Put it in a plastic bag in a box, and hide it in the basement like my brother did 10 years ago. You won't be using that again.. ;-)

3 - The 440ccs can work, but after you've done what I stated in point #2. When these injectors have been installed (after fixing your engine issues) have it tuned properly with better management. I'm sure someone will chime in about other options, so I'll leave that to them.

4 - If you're using the standard greddy kit for a B-series Vtec engine (B16/B18C), you have the 18G turbo, which can work well for over 300whp, provided that you change a few things (downpipe and flange mainly), but most importantly, fuel management.

No more asking for other opinions.. go get to work now.. Welcome to the world of "pay-to-play".