Notices

Greddy Type-S BOV... how do I make it stop fluttering?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy Type-S BOV... how do I make it stop fluttering?

I'm running 5-6 psi with a greddy kit on a stock D16Z6 and the BOV flutters like mad all the time, partial boost, full boost, fully soft setting on the BOV, all the way hard, doesn't matter... pft pft pft psshhh..

I've heard that there are some springs inside that can be adjusted and/or removed... I'm assuming that since I'm not running much boost that that's maybe why, but I'm not sure.. I thought the BOV was held CLOSED by boost and opened with vacuum, so it seems like as long as the vacuum source is good it should open no matter what.

Which leads me to my next question. Right now I have the BOV t'ed off of my FPR vacuum source. Is there a better place to run the vacuum line from on the D16Z6 manifold? I've been told that it works better to run it from it's own vacuum source, but I can't find any free vacuum fittings on the Z6 mani to run it from. Anyone know if there are any or am I stuck running it off the FPR?
Old 02-10-2003, 08:26 PM
Beard

Default Re: Greddy Type-S BOV... how do I make it stop fluttering? (M-EJ1)

Have you looked into running it off the brake booster?
Old 02-10-2003, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Greddy Type-S BOV... how do I make it stop fluttering? (Rguy)

Just curious what causes the fluttering of a BOV and is fluttering bad?
Old 02-10-2003, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Greddy Type-S BOV... how do I make it stop fluttering? (greddyturboGSR)

Actually, the BOV isn't the part that's actually fluttering. If anyone's ever driven a car without a BOV, when you let off the gas the compressor surges and flutters... the fluttering I'm hearing before the BOV is actually because the BOV is not opening right away when I let off the throttle.

Anyway, no, I haven't tried T'ing off the brake booster... I just opened up the BOV itself and took out one of the springs so I'm going to go install it on my car and take a test drive.. but I will take a look at the brake booster vacuum source tomorrow (got to get some more vacuum hose to make any changes).

Old 02-10-2003, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Greddy Type-S BOV... how do I make it stop fluttering? (M-EJ1)

Okay I got it now, I ran my car for a while without a BOV and remember the fluttering, I have a blitz installed now but still get the fluttering at times, mainly when I shift at low boost, I guess that is the delay you guy are talking about. IT just seems like t-ing of the brake boost would be risky
Old 02-10-2003, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Greddy Type-S BOV... how do I make it stop fluttering? (greddyturboGSR)

Not like T'ing off of the FPR isn't risky too... heh.

BTW, I just took the inner spring out of the BOV, and adjusted the outside a little tighter and took it for a drive... it sounds freakin' great and doesn't leak boost at all. Guess us low boosters have to go a little further to get a good sounding BOV.

I also blew off one of the fittings on the charge pipe... never thought I'd have that problem, but I think it's just because when I put it back on I didn't get it seated all the way in the rubber connector before I tightened down the hose clamp.

[Modified by M-EJ1, 10:09 PM 2/10/2003]