Notices

GReddy turbo kit installed, gas cuts off at 6k rpm and check engine light comes on...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GReddy turbo kit installed, gas cuts off at 6k rpm and check engine light comes on...

I recently installed the GReddy turbo kit on my 94' Integra LS. After breaking the turbo in for 300 miles and upping the piping on my exhaust I gunned it to see what it would do. It was very powerful in first and second gear, I shifted at about 6.5k in first and second gear but when i revved up 3rd gear to 6k rpm the gas cut off and the check engine light came on. When this happened the car was running extremely weird, pressing the gas pedal in would just cause it to kindve hop and not accelerate and my air/fuel ratio guage wasnt floating back and forth from rich to lean, it was as if the power to the o2 sensor was cut. I had to pull over and shut the car off. After shutting it off and starting it back up again the check engine light was no longer on and the car ran normal again. The error code saved in memory was OBDI code "13" (my lucky number) which is an error with the fuel injection. I have a feeling that something is wrong with the "blue box" that came with the kit (which is a piggy back fmu). I cant guess why the blue box would cause my car to do this only past 6k rpm in third gear though. I have triple checked all the wiring for the blue box and everything is wired correctly. I have even rewired it to make sure all the connections are good and tried revving it up again and it did the same exact thing. Im not sure that 3rd gear is the only one this happens in but revving first and second up doesnt do it. Also, there is a green light on the blue box that is constantly blinking, I would assume that it would either be on or off but maybe they just didnt realize how annoying a blinking light would be. Is anyone still using a GReddy kit with the piggy back FMU? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:05 AM

what kind of plugs do u have?
Old 07-23-2004, 02:13 PM

Default Re: GReddy turbo kit installed, gas cuts off at 6k rpm and check engine light comes on... (H3AT_int3

Last time I checked the Blue Box doesn't work on OBD1 cars.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GReddy turbo kit installed, gas cuts off at 6k rpm and check engine light comes on... (H3AT_int3

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iiilgsrlll &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Last time I checked the Blue Box doesn't work on OBD1 cars. </TD></TR></TABLE>

your right.. it don't.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:57 PM

Hmm this is unsettling... I was under the impression that OBDII vehicles are post '97 and OBDI is pre '97. The GReddy kit I got was for 96-99 integras... I emailed GReddy prior to buying the kit to ask them why it was 96-99 being that a '94 teg and a '96 teg are identical, of course they didnt respond. I did find wiring diagrams for the blue box for OBDI hondas but apparently the diagram was a mute point since it doesnt work with it anways. I want to thank you guys for responding quickly and helping me resolve this. Well I guess im gonna be doing alot of careful driving until I can afford some other FMU...
Old 07-23-2004, 09:47 PM

i had the same problem on my 94 ls. i got a apexi safc2 hoping it would fix it, that didn't do anything, so i got a vortech fmu with a 12:1 disc. that fixed the problem. it was running on stock injectors.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (aznbmxxxer)

the grewddy blue box does work for the 94-95 you have to wire something diffrent tho-I have seen it on honda tech some where
Old 07-24-2004, 03:48 PM

Default Re: (tegon-gsr)

I dont see what could be wired differently, its all basic really, you wire it to the injectors, map wire and the injector ground wire. Are you sure it wasnt someone with an actual OBDII ECU that just had a OBDI wiring harness? But if there is some way to rig it to where it would work that would be great.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:57 PM

Default Re: (H3AT_int3gr4)

blue box works fine with obd1 cars. i had it on my beater. a 92 civic sedan and it worked great
Old 07-24-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Re: (H3AT_int3gr4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H3AT_int3gr4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont see what could be wired differently, its all basic really, you wire it to the injectors, map wire and the injector ground wire. Are you sure it wasnt someone with an actual OBDII ECU that just had a OBDI wiring harness? But if there is some way to rig it to where it would work that would be great.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Try it on a Integra and you will get an injector failure CEL. It won't happen when you're not in boost but go ahead and try boosting through every gear. Come back and please tell us what happens.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:11 AM

Default Re: (iiilgsrlll)

Heh, I already did try revving it up with the blue box, at around 6k rpm in 3rd gear it error's my computer, and it seems to do it earlier in 4th gear =\. I have decided just to drive her slow until I can afford another FMU. Any suggestions on good FMUs?