Notices

greddy turbo,,or drag gen 3??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default greddy turbo,,or drag gen 3??

i am askin cuz there is that great group buy goin on now for the drag gen 3,,plus much more,

but i was reading on a site,,that if u plan not to really upgrade any internals,,then ,,the greddy is a nice kit to go with,,cuz its smaller,,and it will spool up quicker then the t3/t4,,isnt the greddy a t25 or something

and they max boost on the greddy is like 10 or so,,am i right

if i got t eh drag gen 3,,i would only stay at 7-8 PSI,,and prob never change it,,

let me know your thoughts on eaither

let me know what u recommend to get to run safely

i may get a hondata stage 2,,with a boost upgrade
my friend had a J & S safeguard,,and didnt like it,,he said it was unaccurate

thanks mike
Old 09-20-2001, 03:50 PM

Default Re: greddy turbo,,or drag gen 3?? (Wrath of VTEC)

You can boost higher than 7-8psi with a drag...depends on what your wastegate will allow. In the groupbuy you are referring to, a Tial wastegate(the best) is included with the purchase and will allow you to boost higher. IMO the only advantage of the Greddy is that it has the internal wastegate, therefore emissions legal.
Old 09-20-2001, 03:57 PM
New User

Default Re: greddy turbo,,or drag gen 3?? (maxim_force)

i think he was only planning to boost 7-8 psi. if thats really what your gunna do then the drag kit would most likely be better for you. if your gunna boost that low then you wont really need to upgrade your internals. and the groupbuy has alot of other great freebies to help you out. and you really CANT beat that price!

jase
Old 09-20-2001, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: greddy turbo,,or drag gen 3?? (JaEz)

yup i have all stock internals,,so i dont need something that is gonna blow my motor,,cuz the stock stuff cant handle it

of right now,,if i buy it,,,i dont have any money to do any internal mods,,so i would just be boostin the 7-8 PSI,,,,just a safe PSI so its no gonna blow,,and be faster

maybe later on down the road i will,but for the 1st year i wont have any extra money to do any other mods,,,besides a clutch,,.hehhehhe\

what kinda qtr do u think i can get with boostin just the 7-8 PSI???

i may upgrade to the 440 CC's,,but i dont know,,,if that will help out a lil,,then il do it

any thoughts on the J & S safeguard??

or hondata stage 2 with boost???

if i dont get a turbo now,,im gonna just get a 50 shot of NOS,,
and lower my 90 honda civic

thanks mike
Old 09-20-2001, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just don't get the greddy kit.

Dustin
Old 09-20-2001, 05:01 PM
New User

Default Re: greddy turbo,,or drag gen 3?? (dustin)

Just GET what you WANT..... Get whats gonna suit your needs not what biased people say...
Old 09-20-2001, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: greddy turbo,,or drag gen 3?? (boost killz)

im just trying to get people thoughts

i have been readin up on turbos as of late

still need to find out what some stuff does,,,and if i need it to make my setup better

but i guess the setup that the group buy contains is a nice starting point,,
now can i still use my stock ECU,,or should i upgrade to a hondata??

also is the J & S worth it???

and by getting the hondata will i need the J & S safeguard???
sorry for all my beginner ?'s
thanks mike
Old 09-20-2001, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gee they should change the URL address to http://www.we-hate-greddy-kits.com

whats so bad about them? do people make the assumption that if its carb legal that makes is "slow"?

the reason why it seems slow to others is the simple ratio between drag kits and greddy kits on this forum. there are only a handful of greddy turbo owners on this board, and im sure most of us dont exactly have the skills to drive like papadakis and friends. heck how many people have even timed there greddy gsrs? i only know of two. me and woong who both ran a 14.2 ( i dont even know if hes still on this board)
many people also make the assumption that a drag kit will get you into the 13s easily. ive only been to carlsbad twice and from my personal experience i witnessed a good amount of turbo gsrs having trouble hitting 13s. and i know of a guy who ran a 13.6 w/ his revhard kit which you may think it pretty fast but considering that this guy was running straight out of the downpipe and had an aftermarket clutch. heck, half of the people here haven't even gone to a track or either timed it using a gtech. have i confused you enough yet? well my point is, most of the arguements on this board are pretty shady when it comes to turbo kits cause its all biased. as for dyno numbers..you gotta remember that some of these guys run open loop and who knows what else.

but back to your question.. the greddy kit is simple and is not slow! you dont have to worry about j&s safegaurds, vortech fmu's and all that other stuff to confuse you more! the greddy kit comes w/ less parts and therefore less things to worry about

remember...it took drag 3 tries to make their kit what it is today! i know this is comparing apples to oranges but compare drags 1st attempt at a turbo kit to greddy's...

sorry if i sound ****...but my stylus on my shure m447 is bent and it keeps skipping on me!
Old 09-20-2001, 06:27 PM
Banned

Default Re: greddy turbo,,or drag gen 3?? (SagaGSR)

to all the people who said the greddy turbo cant handle high boost

Old 09-20-2001, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: greddy turbo,,or drag gen 3?? (SagaGSR)

Well there is nothing wrong with the greddy kit, it is purpose built for a certain result. It is just not expandable. The turbo does not flow anywhere near as well in high rpms as a t04e/t3 hybrid, and the internal wastegate is a serious limitation IMO.

Dustin
Old 09-20-2001, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, I had no problem getting a 14.8 in my GSR with I/H/E. .6 off that time is not too terribly impressive.

Dustin
Old 09-20-2001, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i have hiot 14.9 in my teg with I/H/E

and i was hope'n with a drag gen 3,,maybe mid 13's but om not sure,,if im gonna stay at the 7-8 PSI
do u think i could

if im gonna spend 3000 and up,,i want to hit some 13's

mike
Old 09-20-2001, 06:57 PM

I'm sure the Greddy kit is a good kit. But I have had great experience with my friend's ride on a DRAG 3. The kit is good and produces great hp at low boost. Here's a pic:

We didn't take it to redline cuz he thought he was running lean.. and he was a little.. staying around 13:1 A/F. But this is a STOCK GSR running a DRAG 3 at 6psi! He also has the J&S (Best safetly blanket I can think of for a stock block) and a Clutch Specialties 6-puck.

[Modified by Rob92SC, 10:58 PM 9/20/2001]
Old 09-20-2001, 07:00 PM
New User

13.7@102 was my best with average of 13.8@100 or 101 for average on my greddy kit.... This was on drag radials and a 2.3 60' which wasn't to good and could still pull off 13's. the setup again was merely the greddy kit at 7.8psi stock internals, stock timing, msd wires, ngk plugs. and a crappy hyper exhaust..only 2.1"... The greddy is a great kit once a few adjustments are made to release it's hidden power behind restrictions. And yes Dustin is correct as far as not being expandable, but then again not everyone, actually I would say 70% of people in here are not fully built running radical hp numbers but then again each his own and as for the guy wondering what kit to go with I say GET IN ON THE DEAL DUDE! I know I would have but the simplicity of the greddy is what appealed to me in making my purchase decision. Good luck man
Old 09-20-2001, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: greddy turbo,,or drag gen 3?? (boost killz)

who sells the greddy kit??
so i can learn more bout both

thanks mike
Old 09-21-2001, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Drag 3 great group buy or the F-Max but i think its way too late. As for Greddy. You can check out for more info at http://www.greddy.com
Old 09-21-2001, 07:17 AM
Trial User

Default Re: greddy turbo,,or drag gen 3?? (IgniteTeg)

how much is the greddy kit and the drag is what 3200?
Old 09-21-2001, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: greddy turbo,,or drag gen 3?? (4dGSR at work)

well modacar sells the greddy for 2700$$,,that doesnt include the FMI,,thats a extra 800-1000,,they have 4 avail i saw,,

and no BOV ,,so thats what a good 175-250 or so???

i local shop said he can get me the greddy kit for 3500 with the IC,,then manyeb 600 to install,,he said the stock boost is like 8.5psi or so.

im still not sure,,i may go talk to him,,he said he would work with me if i was serious,,but i think he thinks im not,,most people that go in his shop r just lookers

there is still 2 shops around the 5o mile area that can do it,,,,other then the 3 places around here,,ill prob have to go out of state,,or over to KC

any more info is great

and i do not plan on upgrading my internals any time soon,,so lets say its gonna be like this for a good 2-3 years,,and by them something better will b out,,so ill prob just upgrade to that

if someone can list what comes with the greddy kit that would be great
and will i need to get the J&Ssafeguard,,or should i look into the hondata

would i need to upgrade injectors,,,,for eaithe the greddy or the drag gen 3

thanks mike

Old 09-23-2001, 04:54 AM
Banned

Hey wrath, Im thinking about the greddy kit too, the simplicity is what appeals to me since i plan to install it myself. I want a system that will be the most reliable and at first I was looking at the JRSC but that idea got nixed fast. It does comes with upgraded injectors. Theres a deal on Groupbuycenter if your looking for a good deal on one.
Old 09-23-2001, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: greddy turbo,,or drag gen 3?? (digitalspice)

I vote AGAINST the greddy kit, it makes less power, and has less potential to upgrade.
Old 09-23-2001, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: greddy turbo,,or drag gen 3?? (DragIIcivic)

i would just like to compare both kits with their basic PSI,,and on a car with stock internals

,,cuz thats all im really lookin at right now,,

i know the greddy doesnt come with the intercooler,,,
but u say the greddy comes with its own injectors??
the greddy doesnt have a BOV,,but u can add one,,so thats more money,

does anyone know if u should buy hondata ,,or get the J & S safeguard for the greddy??

i am not gonna be boostin more then the safest PSI on whatever kit i buy,,so im not really lookin for how upgradeable it is

and i want to have things added to make the turbo the safest it can be,,if that means i should get hondata,,or the J & S safeguard ,,ill get it

but if i bought a turbo,,and i couldnt run at least high 13's,then i think ill pass,,and eaither get a nice 50 shot of NOS,,or just leave my car the way it is

i have found the greddy kit for 2500-2700,,modacar,,options auto,,and there are prob others i havnt found
then u still have to add the IC,,and BOV,,j,,so the greddy kit may b more money then what the group buy for the drag kit is

im still doing my searchin,,
if u all can list what to add on when buying the greddy kit,,and what to add on when buying the drag gen 3 kit,,that would b great,,remember i am gonna have all stock internals for a couple years,,,,

and more track times from owneres of each kit is great too,,even tho it may b a different qtr mile time,,then compared to where i am ,,cuz of elevation,,and temp.
and comment if u are glad u went with the kit,
i think most people have more then just the basic drag gen 3 kit,,,,and thats y people say it wont compare to the greddy in its basic form

any more thoughts would b great
mike
Old 09-23-2001, 01:27 PM

I don't know anything about the greddy kit, because haven't really paid any attention to them. Though, if you are interested in the Drag kit, ben from importparts.com is having a great deal. I went to optauto.com and a couple other sites to look for the Drag and found prices around 2700-2900 and that's JUST the kit. If you get in on this groupbuy you will have everything that you need that you might have to spend another 500-600 buying from one of those other retailers, so you would probably save about 200-300 with the groupbuy. IMO the only other things you might want to think about are larger injectors or a stage II or III clutch - which are offered at a pretty good price. Go with the Drag
Old 09-23-2001, 01:43 PM
New User

Well if i want to hit mid 12's or just in the 12's what kit should i get. will a drag gen 3 kit for a GSR get 12 with it stock or will i only need a few things to buy?? Will i get 12's if i get a greddy kit??? or will i have to build my bottom block too much??
Old 09-23-2001, 01:51 PM
New User

Default Re: greddy turbo,,or drag gen 3?? (VRxDReGoNxGSR)

Drag at stock boost level will not net 12's and neither will the greddy on sotck tires or even drag radials, but with slicks either kit will acheive that task, the proble there being you have to launch the car hard and run the chance of maybe snapping an axle..Is it worth it, is the questionyou gotta ask.. I will say at stock level the drag if tuned right can take out many cars on the street,the greddy on the other hand being a bit more restricted utilizing the smaller turbo can make that task a bit harder but no where near impossible.
Old 09-23-2001, 01:59 PM
New User

IMO, first of all since no one answered this question for him, the Greddy kit comes with an 18G. Also, it is the same turbo for an Eclipse upgrade and they run 18-20 psi daily. Yes the Eclipse can handle it, but it is the same turbo, so for the people that are saying that the Greddy turbo can't handle it, your wrong and I say that plain as day. I like the Greddy kit myself. On clubsi.com, they are having a group buy for it right now for $2300, you can't beat that. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I like the Greddy kit because it comes w/310 injectors and you don't have to buy them. I like the Drag III kit because it comes with a bigger turbo. I have also not heard of anyone yet blowing up there car with the Greddy kit. I am sure I just have to give it time because the Drag III kit has been out for so long but who knows. Just my $.02

Quick Reply: greddy turbo,,or drag gen 3??