Notices

greddy ls turbo - fmic too big?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default greddy ls turbo - fmic too big?! neeeed help please!!!

ok guys i need help! i gonna buy a greddy turbo kit (tdo5 18g)...(gsr one) and i want run him on my b18a bloc (if it possible without MAJOR mods...) (maybe a gsr) and the fmic come with is 29-30 X 14-15 X3 po.... my questions is.... to run the turbo kit on my b18a without many or major mods is it possible?!(8-9psi) and the IC is too big for my setup?! (i heard maybe yes..?! ) thanks guys....and yes i know my english suck! ** sorry for double topic**

Modified by camocears at 11:48 PM 9/29/2003
Old 09-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: greddy ls turbo - fmic too big?! neeeed help please!!! (camocears)

That's a pretty huge fmic...
Old 09-29-2003, 04:35 PM

Default Re: greddy ls turbo - fmic too big?! neeeed help please!!! (5thgencivic)

if you are running the Greddy type 24 i/c (which i think is what ur talking about) then you will have to cut the bumper support.

if it is a different i/c that you have then idk
Old 09-29-2003, 07:39 PM

yeah its a greddy one...for gsr....i think is corect for my set up so...
Old 09-29-2003, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (camocears)

The Greddy Type 24 is 14-15" high?
Old 09-30-2003, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (5thgencivic)

Its big...its what im running..the top is pretty useless behind the bumper!
Old 09-30-2003, 07:47 AM

with this IC.....can i wait for a bigger turbo lag?!
Old 09-30-2003, 07:57 AM

Default Re: (camocears)

i have the greddy turbo kit on my LS and i have the intercooler that you dont need to cut your bumper supports for and it works perfect for me at 8psi. if you plan on doing some more boost mods and up the boost the bigger front mount wont hurt because the last thing you want is a heat soaked intercooler
Old 09-30-2003, 02:41 PM

Default Re: greddy ls turbo - fmic too big?! neeeed help please!!! (camocears)

Turbolag Could become and issue depending on lots of factors. The size of the intercooler can cause lack of ambient pressure throughout your system and make it take longer for you to get full spool or efficient cooling. If the Piping you use on your intercooler runs to great a length you can also suffer this problem. That does seem large for a bolt on kit, but i would assume that greddy did some testing to find a reasonable sized intercooler if it come as part of a standard kit. I runa SOHC turbo and use a medium(dont wanna go meassure it) Spearco FMIC and get strong quick boost response. I kept the pipe lengths short to keep pressures up when aproaching and in boost. The turbo your kit comes with might put out a great enough Volume of air that the intercooler is needed, I really have no experience with the greddy kits. I've seen people running that size of intercooler on fully built GSR's running T4 and T5 custom turbos that put out great air volume, they benefit from the sized up intercooler. If your going to run low PSI only, and not creep it up beyond say 8-10psi you should be fine with that or maybe a smaller intercooler, look into a deeper intercooler that is somewhat shorter if your worried about clearance. I run up 15-20psi on mine with a smaller intercooler than your kit uses and my pipes stay very cool. Then again, you have more displacement and are interested in "Major Mods..." which will enable you to force more air threw the system. You may have not have decided all the details of your build and final projecct enough that you can really make a final decision on intercooler size. If this is a common size that does work well, stick with it, you can always make changes later. Remember that most people stick with big name intercoolers(greddy, hks, apexi) and thats not bad, but there are companys that make intercoolers smaller and sometimes more efficient for a better price. WIth Big names your not only paying for quality(hopefully) but the brand.