Notices

Greddy kit, Walbro 255lph-HP, blue box - Should I drill the stock FPR?

Old 11-17-2002, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Greddy kit, Walbro 255lph-HP, blue box - Should I drill the stock FPR?

Like the title says. I've heard my idle will be too rich and catalytic converter will foul if I don't do this. Fuel pump is on its way. I can't afford an adjustable fpr at the moment. With my setup, does this sound like a good idea? Thanks!

This is what I'm talking about: http://www.theoldone.com/articles/regulator/
Old 11-18-2002, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Greddy kit, Walbro 255lph-HP, blue box - Should I drill the stock FPR? (Evil Beaver)

Anyone?
Old 11-18-2002, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Greddy kit, Walbro 255lph-HP, blue box - Should I drill the stock FPR? (Evil Beaver)

Buehler?
Old 11-18-2002, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends what your fuel pressure is after the pump, but most likely you will need to do this for the short term. If your car starts throwing 45 (obd-2) or 42 I think (OBD-1) chances are you idle pressures is to high, the only other thing to do is get a real FPR not a chop-top.
-James
Old 11-18-2002, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Greddy kit, Walbro 255lph-HP, blue box - Should I drill the stock FPR? (Zenki James)

i don't recomend it for long term.I had done this for a while but it became a hassle because you have to prime your car everytime you go to start it.Save up for an aem fpr that way you can adjust the pressure down,don't get the b&m fpr because you won't be able to lower your fuel pressure at all.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:48 PM

I have the Greddy kit as well and just got the motor built after a year of boosting. I am running the blue box, a testpipe, custom 2.5in downpipe, and got a holley 255lph fuel pump which was installed when the motor was built. When I was running a stock motor and stock compression I was getting a CEL for having the testpipe. After just getting my motor built and tuned last week I think I can answer your question. The motor is now somwhere around 9 to 1 in compression. The car runs really rich at idle and evens out to where it needs to be when you start boosting. The car runs great if you have you foot in the gas. When I was breaking the motor in the car would spudder and cut off sometime. The tuner ( Ed balanced performance Atl Ga.) told me that it was doing that because the car was running really rich and it will do that if I try to cruise at really low speeds and rpms.( like about 2000 rpms and about 1/5 on the gas). After getting the car tuned it still runs a little rich just at idle but runs fine. The blue box works fine, but of course if you have the money and want to do the whole 9 then get hondata, it will take care of everything. Also I don't have a CEL anymore even with the testpipe. Maybe because the ECU is fooled because of the lower compression now.

I also have a B&M FPR. From what I have seen if you get a fuel pump with the greddy kit it makes the car run really rich. The blue box will already make a stock car run pretty rich but with the fuel pump it will really run rich. You can try to turn the boost up just a little to have the car lean out a little.

sorry all this info is a little confusing. I am half a sleep and was out drinking.

00 FBP SI Greddy turbo Kit
type 24 IC
custom 2.5in DP and testpipe
Apex-i N1 2.5in catback
eagle rods, JE pistons 9 to 1 compression
HKS SS BOV
Apex-i AVC-R
greddy turbo timer
Clutchnet spring hub 6 puck
denso Ik 24 plugs stock wires
skunk 2 cam gears stock cams
.......and a whole alot of other sh&^..
258 whp and 192 lbs at 10 PSI

Old 11-18-2002, 08:53 PM

Just get a fpr and a testpipe or a high flow cat and see what happens. The car may or may not throw a code. If it runs to rich turn the boost up if you have a boost controller. I ran at 10PSI on a stock motor for a year.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Greddy kit, Walbro 255lph-HP, blue box - Should I drill the stock FPR? (boostedcoupe)

sorry all this info is a little confusing. I am half a sleep and was out drinking.
Hey man go to sleep, sounds like you've had a fun night maybe few to many .
turning up the boost or runing a test pipe will do nothing for runing to rich at idle.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Greddy kit, Walbro 255lph-HP, blue box - Should I drill the stock FPR? (b16ahybrid)

I'm using the blue box, vortech FPR, and the GS317 (255) fuel pump with no problems. I used to get the 45 code but now it's mainly the mis fire codes. Reading my plugs everything seems fine. Last time I dynoed my car I was in the 12:1 range through out until vtec when it went to 10:1. For basic driving and fuel economy you cannot beat the blue box. The Greddy kit it does not require an upgraded fuel pump. That's why they include 310cc injectors.

Oh yeah my fuel pressure will go as low as I want it. Stock setting is no problem without drilling a hole.

[Modified by PressurizedSi, 11:25 PM 11/18/2002]
Old 11-19-2002, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Greddy kit, Walbro 255lph-HP, blue box - Should I drill the stock FPR? (PressurizedSi)

Thanks guys I think I'm going to drill the fpr until I can buy an adjustable one. My current stock fuel pump intermittently buzzes when the car is turned off, key is out of the ignition and nothing is being touched. Not only that, I'm getting detonation sometimes at the top of 3rd and especially 4th. Part throttle acceleration is better than full throttle for some reason. I run 94 octane. My timing is at 14 and about 6 lbs of boost. I'm hoping the fuel pump will help.