Notices

greddy b16a2 turbo kit, TURNING UP BOOST? BOV?Tranny? Anyone else with set up...help

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default greddy b16a2 turbo kit, TURNING UP BOOST? BOV?Tranny? Anyone else with set up...help

Heres the deal,
i have a b16a2 with stock trans. JUN ultralight flywheel and racing clutch. The Greedy Turbo kit installed and their full front mount intercooler installed. All runs great execpt one cel code of evap canister leak. Which shouldn't effect the running of the car. I had the whole thing installed at the shop i used to work for. We had a dyno butdin't tune it after the install of the turbo and intercooler.... infact i can't go back to the only dyno now withen 1000 miles. So my problems. I was putting down, 191 whp without the turbo dyno tested. After the install we only checked the A/F rate and it agrees with what everyone has said... RICH as HELL. so my questions some may be dumb as hell but i am new to the turbo world...
Its running at 5-6 psi right now which is what they come stock at. RICH as HEll. What brand boost controller should i run and how high can i push it with stock internal. From my reading on this board it looks like 9-10psi without any other modifications done. is this true?
Can i put a external blowoff valve on the turbo that came with this kit. if so what brand and type....It seems i don't really need one untill i get to higher boost... but alas i like the sound and the look of them... OH and turbo timer? brands? Stick with greddy?
My wonderful expensive as hell clutch has worn out and i need to replace it with somthing.... what brands have people used that they are happy with? I get the feeling that centerforce burn out quick and ACT seems to be a good deal...
Tranny? I have the stock b16a2 hydro tranny? Well it has the MNFCTR defect of bad syncros... and honda wants 1000bucks for the update since it of course is no longer under warrenty... So what tranny should i switch to .. oh i do have the JUN ultralight flywheel as well, would like to keep it butif a diffrent tranny is in order so be it...
I want to hit 11 sec with the car. .. high or low don't care.. keep that in mind... I don't have access to a dyno so all recommendations have to keep that in mind as well. Ill have pics posted in the next week...
off the wall question... could you just sleeve the block and turn up the boost and just add bigger injectors and still run off the oem ecu... seems to make sence to me... I don't have any DYNO's within 3000 miles! keep in mind.
HELP PLEASE IDEAS SUGGESTIONS TRIED AND TRUE ONLY
Also whatever i get suggestions on ill eventually have to buy... anyone have them for sale right now?
I do have cash to spend...
Thanks for all the help... lone b16a2 turbo del sol in alaska
Old 10-17-2003, 03:05 AM

Default Re: greddy b16a2 turbo kit, TURNING UP BOOST? BOV?Tranny? Anyone else with set up...help (b16a2turbo

um wow..dont know where to start here but are you sure you put down 191 hp before you put the turbo on? here's some answers to some of your questions.

you can put a blow off valve on, brand doesn't matter it's just a matter of preference. Same goes for turbo timers, there are some with extra features but they all count down the same.

You will not hit 11s with a greddy turbo, its not big enough to hit 11s in a del sol.

You can not run bigger injectors+more boost on stock ecu. The bigger injectors will make your car run like **** and you'll run even richer than before due to the fact that the stock ecu can not control bigger injectors.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:00 AM

Default Re: greddy b16a2 turbo kit, TURNING UP BOOST? BOV?Tranny? Anyone else with set up...help (b16a2turbo

what parts were u using to get 191 hp before the turbo? you definetely need to put a BOV on it unless you want to slowly kill the turbo. I have heard that at 8psi you are very safe on stock engine. in your cold climate maybe a little higher is possible like 10psi. like the other guy said brand of bov and turbo timer is all up to you they all do the same thing. I am getting an exedy racing clutch for my si in a couple of days, haven't heard anything bad about them and their cheap $250 shipped. as far as tranny it's based on money, you could probably replace it for a used b16a2 tranny for less than honda wants to fix it or try and get a LS tranny, unless I am wrong it should bolt right in and work good. like the other guy said 11's would require alot more than what you thing, I believe the greddy kit can get you their you just need to be running 20+psi completely forged internals and 350+hp, that all estimates thou.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a feeling what he think is a BOV is actualy a WG.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^
I was thinking the same thing.

b16a2turbo were are you from?
Old 10-17-2003, 12:11 PM

sorry my mistype. I put 168 to the ground before turbo and 191 after without tunning it. So i'm at 191 at 5.5psi with stock internals. I have the a dyno graph somewere... so im good up to 9psi... on stock internals? is that what im getting. Since its internal WG do i need a blowvalve at 9 psi and if so does it make the "sound" or is that only the wastegate...
thanks for the help so far. found the pics, ill scan them in tonight.

keep the info coming please!
Old 10-17-2003, 12:19 PM

the wastegate and BOV are 2 different things. The wastegate is actually part of the exhuast side of the turbo, it controls how fast the turbo spins by allowing exhaust gas to bypass the turbo. the wastegate as far as I know doesn't make any noise and it controls the boost. The BOV is whats on the compression pipe near the intake. It releases the pressure in the pipe when it reaches a set amount to prevent any damage to the turbo or anything else. If you don't have a BOV you should not up the boost any higher than the stock 5.5, I am running the stock 5.5 also and after hearing how much air it releases, I would be worried if I didn't have one.