Notices

Greddy 18g any good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy 18g any good?

As some of you may or may not know I effed up my garrett turbo. It's a hybrid, and it says Garrett m11 .60 on one side, and .63 on the other. My friend had a good greddy 18g laying around he sold me. Now is this turbo pretty good? How does it compare to the one i had? I know the connector is smaller like a t25. He said it's a good turbo, I don't know jack about them except the fact that it looks smaller than mine. A local shop wanted to rape me for 525 to repair my turbo. It needs the center turbine, anyone know where I can get parts, or send off for repair? I was thinking getting a chinese turbo for a few weeks till I repair mine. If I put the 18g i need new headers, and work on the down pipe. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Greddy 18g any good?

the Greddy 18G is not a "temporary" turbo that you can just bolt on after your T3/T04E died. Depending upon the application you're using, its very potent, but you must do A LOT to integrate it to what you already have. $525 for a new cartridge is about average price for a standard one. Many people believe that a turbocharger as a whole is equal to the sum of its parts. that's not the case whatsoever, and you're actually to a point that you can either repair, or replace, and you'll pay the same amount.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Listen to this guy ^^^^

He's speaking the truth
Old 08-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
the Greddy 18G is not a "temporary" turbo that you can just bolt on after your T3/T04E died. Depending upon the application you're using, its very potent, but you must do A LOT to integrate it to what you already have. $525 for a new cartridge is about average price for a standard one. Many people believe that a turbocharger as a whole is equal to the sum of its parts. that's not the case whatsoever, and you're actually to a point that you can either repair, or replace, and you'll pay the same amount.
Thank you Shodan, I was not considering using the greddy as a temporary...I was talking about the chinese turbo. I am a total noob when it comes to this, and can't really find much info on the greedy 18g. My local shop just told me that it was a tiny turbo and that I should get a gt35. Of course they happen to have one used laying around, so I am assuming maybe they just wanted to sell it. How much hp can I expect from the greddy 18g? I have a guy that can get my stuff working, so if it's a good turbo I would keep it. What do you mean I must do A LOT? Sorry for all the noob questions, and thank you very much for your help.

What can you tell me about the garrett GT3076R ? I have someone locally selling a almost new one for 500. Is that worth it? He only used it for one start up he claims. I saw it and it does look new. I would only have to weld the 4 bolt, so it's not so bad.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:15 PM

Dude, you're all over the place with 3 different turbos that do 3 different things. Give us a layout of the engine that you have, the power level you're looking for, budget you have to spend, the use you plan to use the car for. Any Steel ball-bearing cartridge like a GT3076 or GT35R requires the use of water lines which adds to the cost. Do you want to stay t3 flanged? T2 flanged? are you planning on changing manifolds? Help us, help you. Stop just finding "deals". Let's get the right turbo for you.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Dude, you're all over the place with 3 different turbos that do 3 different things. Give us a layout of the engine that you have, the power level you're looking for, budget you have to spend, the use you plan to use the car for. Any Steel ball-bearing cartridge like a GT3076 or GT35R requires the use of water lines which adds to the cost. Do you want to stay t3 flanged? T2 flanged? are you planning on changing manifolds? Help us, help you. Stop just finding "deals". Let's get the right turbo for you.
Ok. I will try to explain as best as I can. I got this car as a partial trade. At first I thought about selling it, but after seeing all the upgrades I decided to keep it. I have a 93 Prelude. These are the mods I know it has.

Imported H22a
Hondata S300
Skunk 2 pro intake
cp low comp pistons
sleeved block
stage 3 clutch
8 lb flywheel
t3t4 hybrid garret turbocharger (that went bad)
externalwastegate
dual flow master exhaust cat delete
aftermarket light weight pulls jam
3 inch custom 5 flange downpipes
Denso 720cc Fuel Injectors
I know it has aftermarket cams but dont know which ones
It may have more, but I am not aware of anything else.

With the garrett turbo the car was running pretty good, I did not get it dynoed but previous person did and it was at around 290 hp

What do I want to do?

Basically I guess get the most out of this car. I want to maximize the ugprades that is has on pump gas and for street. I am not looking to spend a lot of money, but maybe keep it under 1k. Of course with time more money, so basically what do you reccomend I do? Does my engine still need more work? Fuel injectors?

My local shop told me the greddy 18g is a tiny turbo, and that mine garrett was also small. That I needed a gt35r. Like I said this seems like a big turbo, but I am a total noob when it comes to this stuff. I don't even know what type of water lines you are talking about, but definately seems like a lot more money to spend.

I would like to stay t3 flanged, because the headers I have seem pretty nice, and also to keep the cost down. Local shop said I could weld a t25 flange on the header if necessary. This is not my primary car, but I have been using it a lot lately (since I just recently got it). I would like to be able to use it often, without having to worry about heavy wear and tear.

AGAIN thank you very much for taking the time to read this, and put up with my crap.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's nothing wrong with being a noob. Everyone is at some point. I still REALLY am especially compared to The Shodan.

As far as changing things, what he means is that everything has to work together. To have the turbo bolt right up in the previous location, the flanges all have to be the same. Your turbo is probably a journal bearing, so going with a ball bearing is going to require water cooling which will be more work and money. The 18g is probably a lot different than the T3/T4 you're taking off, so you'd have to change more parts to make it work. And being so small, it might not put you in the power area that you want to be.

Searching is going to be your friend when it comes to learning about turbos. Start with http://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygar...ch_center.html that. Read the tech parts. That will get you started with the basics of how your turbo works and picking one out.

You'll need a power goal and a budget to start off with. I personally am going to purchase my next turbo from the Shodan. He has years of experience with designing them and properly matching turbos to customers' requests.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I forgot to mention I also have a hondata 4 bar map sensor. Another noob question, my AC and my powersteering were removed. Is this necesarry? Can I at least put AC back on there? With what you see on my engine how much whp is possible with the right turbo? I was reading and I see how it says the engine needs to be built for the right turbo, I am still unaware what the right turbo is. I guess now that I think about it my ultimate goal is to get as much whp as possible with the right turbo and my current set up. Is a GT3076r a good choice? I understand it needs water lines, but is that a reasonable choice? Is there something else I should look into? How do I know if my motor can handle such turbo? Again thanks. Shodan do you make turbos? If so what would YOU reccomend? PM a price list if you could.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:12 PM

You've been AIM'd.