Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   The Great Swap Debate. (boost related) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/great-swap-debate-boost-related-3205049/)

Caoboy 04-26-2014 10:50 AM

The Great Swap Debate. (boost related)

Hi All. I'm in a conundrum. I have 2 engine options. Both will lead to boosting. Goals are to initially have a reliable daily driver/weekend warrior, and then to build a monster motor to terrorize all who dare to look at it.

Currently my Civic CX is stock. The motor has high mileage (~200k) and something needs to be done about it. The options I have zeroed in on are replacing the single, or upgrading to a B18b. Both will be relatively stock (internally)

Hmotors has a replacement single ZC. No BAR to deal with, no smog issues etc. Replace the motor, smog it, good to go boost!
I'd leave the y8 style manifold, I already have a Skunk2 cam gear. A few other mods, and a go autoworks turbo kit, (I'm assuming) I can push about 250-300 hp. After that's done, take the original engine and build it.

OR I can just upgrade to a B18B for about the price of the go autoworks turbo kit. I'd have to pass BAR (simple enough) first, and then I'd have to wait and get a B series kit. Push about 250, sleeve another block and go balls out after the first stage of the turbo build is done.

Both options, I want to keep the AC (for now at least) so factor that in your decision.

Both options will be a daily driver until the spare block (either d/b) is built.

OneBadTurboCRV 04-26-2014 11:06 AM

Re: The Great Swap Debate. (boost related)

There isn't really a decision to make unless you lower your horsepower goals. Stock D16 will only support around 220whp safely and a LS will go around 300whp safely. Anything can be made to work with either platform. If budget is a concern then stick with the D16 and get the appropriate kit that spools fast and you will have a fun and reliable vehicle.

wantboost 04-26-2014 01:08 PM

The BAR only covers the stock motor. any modifications that aren't CARB approved will pose serious issues on both motors as they aren't "legal" modifications and if you get stopped the officer will definitely have you see a ref.

Caoboy 04-26-2014 02:05 PM

Reffing is not an issue, just that I'll need to acquire stock parts and get that done before I start to turbocharge the car. I have to plan that into the budget. I'm not dealing with swapping motors for smog. It's easier (imo) to pull off a turbo setup every 2 years than it is to swap the motor or pay for a hot smog, especially the outrageous prices people are charging nowadays.

I believe people are boosting about the same amount of pounds on stock motor, 7-10? That's what I'm understanding, that's all I want to do for now.

wantboost 04-26-2014 03:53 PM

Psi doesn't matter. pick a reasonable power goal and do what it takes to make it.... it all lies in the tune