Notices

Got the turbo in--and it runs (wow)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the turbo in--and it runs (wow)

Alright, well the car is a 98 civic dx and heres the setup:

greddy 19t kit
-emanage
+precision fmic
+greddy type rs bov
+p75 jk tuned ecu with a crome basemap
+d16y8 intake manifold

Heres a little bit of progress pictures:

The kit

First couple of days on it

Completed and running (mostly)
Sorry for the blurry pictures (I was a little excited).

Okay, well heres the tech-- The car started up first try which was a big surprise. Anyways it idles high (I'm almost sure is due to the basemap and no tune) and the exhaust is choppy (I'm thinking mostly because the downpipe isnt bolted onto the exhaust, which I have to take to a shop to fix). This is mine and my dad's first ever turbo install, so I have a couple of concerns. First of all, there is a squeeking noise thats kind of faint but definately audible. (sounds like it is coming from the turbo itself) It happens right after you let off the gas. This made us wonder if the turbo was getting oil, how would you check/know? Also, the turbo manifold got pretty damn hot after only a couple of minutes of running, is that normal?...Well, I haven't driven it yet, still need to do a couple of things, but thanks for any input. Oh, and a tune will be scheduled once I feel comfortable.

Modified by alacard at 11:33 PM 5/7/2006
Old 05-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got the turbo in--and it runs (alacard)

34 views and no input?
come on
Old 05-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good job
Old 05-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The idle high could be just because of cold start and after it warms up and the temp needle moves to the normal location the idle should be like stock.... also the manifold does get really hot quick so that's not anything weird.... As for the sound I'm not sure what that could be....
Old 05-07-2006, 11:24 PM

Default Re: (rhdune16)

idle could be because of a cold start
Old 05-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rhdune16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for the sound I'm not sure what that could be....</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm almost sure that the sound is coming from the turbo itself. Would the turbo not getting oil make a sound like that? If so, how would I check to see if it was getting oil? Pull out the oil return line (when the car was off) and see if oil comes out?

edit: Yeah, we didn't let it run long enough to get up to normal temperature, so the idle could settle down a little when it is warmed up.

thanks for the replies guys.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah you could check the oil return line if the turbo is getting oil but that doesn't mean it's getting sufficient amount of oil. You can put an oil pressure gauge right before the feed line enters the turbo to see the oil pressure.

BUT I WOULD NOT see how it would be making sounds if the turbo is not getting oil. It could be just a leak or something...
Old 05-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rhdune16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah you could check the oil return line if the turbo is getting oil but that doesn't mean it's getting sufficient amount of oil. </TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah, thats true.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rhdune16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can put an oil pressure gauge right before the feed line enters the turbo to see the oil pressure.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah, i thought about that too

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rhdune16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BUT I WOULD NOT see how it would be making sounds if the turbo is not getting oil. It could be just a leak or something...</TD></TR></TABLE>
hmm, well im stumped then...but i really dont want a squeeking noise to go and ruin the setup
Old 05-08-2006, 03:18 AM
big strong guy

Default Re: (alacard)

The Manifold Will get hot, That is normal!

I would not worry about the noise, Your car is not stock anymore, It will not sound like it did!

You did good, I remember Doing a turbo install With my Father on his Miata!

Eric
Old 05-08-2006, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rainmanEK)

Old 05-08-2006, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, the turbo manifold got pretty damn hot after only a couple of minutes of running, is that normal?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's why the sucker comes with a heat shield.

Questions: Is the squeking like a repetative, short type, like: -------- Or is it intermittent, or is it drawn out like ___ ___ ___ ___? Could it just be the new silicon couplers squeaking against the turbo housing, or does it sound metallic? Did you put oil INTO the turbo befor you hooked up the lines?
Old 05-08-2006, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how much cfm does the 19T push, and when are you expecting spool?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:35 AM

Default Re: (rainmanEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rainmanEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would not worry about the noise, Your car is not stock anymore, It will not sound like it did!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not good advice. Bad noises are bad noises, you want to get it fixed or at least find out what it is.

Make sure all bolts are tight. My down pipe bolts will work loose every now and again and make an awful squeak when I let off of the gas. I also had a problem with my wastegate dump pipe rubbing on the A/C fan guard when the engine would shift forward on a decel and it made a horrible squeal as well.

To diag where a noise is coming from, start with the engine off and things cool enough to touch. Grab everything with your hands shake it around to replicate the noise. Everything from the exhaust manifold, the turbo, exhaust, radiator, everything. You might find a bolt or something you forgot to tighten down. Also, while things are cool enough, take the intake piping off of the turbo and spin it with your hand. Test shaft play and listen for any of these noises. If there is no oil in there the shaft will not spin easily.

Next, if you can't find anything that way, start the engine and listen around for the noise. Have someone sit inside the car or use the throttle cable to change the engine speed to replicate the noise on decel. Keep an eye out for things that move and clearances that close or open with the change of load on the engine. If you're sure it's coming from the turbo, take the intake piping back off and keep an eye on the turbine. Turn the car off and the turbine should smoothly come to a stop, indicating it has lubrication. With the car back on, get a breaker bar or long screwdriver and use it as a stethoscope on the turbo housing and any other part of the engine you think the noise might be coming from. Manipulate the throttle to replicate the noise while using the tool to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from.

Let us know what you find and good luck!!
Old 05-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostednlinefor)

I gave myself a nice red mark from my downpipe after a minute of running, you don't want to touch anything near the turbo

If you can, put a clear line on your turbo return, just for diagnosing, you can see the oil easily, and can determine how much oil your getting.

Also, a piece of pipe works great for listening for noises vs. a screwdriver.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the help
turns out the noise was my blow off valve...it kind of flutters open instead of one big burst...so i tightened it down a little and its a little better but it still does it. I also didn't want to rev too high, since my car isnt tuned yet....so im thinking if i tighten it even more it should work out...what exactly is the proper way to adjust the bov?
Old 05-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just a question, are u running the emanage and the chipped ecu? Because its listed in your mods. If you are unplug the emanage.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have crome basemap for stock injectors? I'm confused.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (willyboyK20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by willyboyK20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just a question, are u running the emanage and the chipped ecu? Because its listed in your mods. If you are unplug the emanage.</TD></TR></TABLE>
its a "-" sign which was supposed to symbolize that i subtracted that from the greddy kit..i guess it wasnt as clear as i had hoped..haha.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have crome basemap for stock injectors? I'm confused.</TD></TR></TABLE>
the 19t kit comes with 310 injectors i believe?...so they aren't stock...and even if they were i would still need some kind of engine management
Old 05-09-2006, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for all the help
turns out the noise was my blow off valve...it kind of flutters open instead of one big burst...so i tightened it down a little and its a little better but it still does it. I also didn't want to rev too high, since my car isnt tuned yet....so im thinking if i tighten it even more it should work out...what exactly is the proper way to adjust the bov?</TD></TR></TABLE>

tightening it down will cause it to happen more, you want to loosen it asmuch as possible without allowing it to leak.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tightening it down will cause it to happen more, you want to loosen it asmuch as possible without allowing it to leak.</TD></TR></TABLE>

neither seems to be changing it...whenever i rev a little, the valve will open a little and make a squeeking a little...and with a high rev, it will open all at once in a burst...so im not sure what to do
Old 05-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the person that was curious about the 19t CFM.

and for anyone else that wants compressor maps.
http://www.stealth316.com/2-3s-compflowmaps.htm
Not trying to thread jack

Good day
Old 05-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a question on your IM, are you using a different throttle cable? and for the oil supply did you use a sandwich adapter, or did you T it off the oil pressure?
Old 05-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VTcivicHB)

you can't just rev the car really and have it blow off you need to have load on the engine, so go drive it and see what happens
Old 05-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VTcivicHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTcivicHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a question on your IM, are you using a different throttle cable? and for the oil supply did you use a sandwich adapter, or did you T it off the oil pressure?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yup, using the y8 throttle cable, and i used the T that came with the kit for the oil supply (which goes off the oil pressure)...are there problems with using a T?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can't just rev the car really and have it blow off you need to have load on the engine, so go drive it and see what happens</TD></TR></TABLE>
alright, ill test it out soon.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:20 PM

where did you buy the greddy kit?

Quick Reply: Got the turbo in--and it runs (wow)