Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got my turbo ls hatch dyno'd today,,got ?'s

i cant put the charts on here,,but
best run of the day was 185HP,,156 tq,,at 7 psi

but when we brought it in the shop,,we were only runnin on 4psi
and it was hitting about 180 or so HP,,and 150 tq

what would b the prob??
shouldnt uppin the boost make me gain about 35-40 PSI going up to 7 lbs???

my mods are
93 LS motor(all stock as far as i know) 93 GSR tranny,,t3/t4 turbo,dont know stats on it,,has fmic,dont know who its made by,turboxs rfl BOV,greddy profec b(didnt really mess with it)deltagate wastegate
740 injectors,,255 lph in tank fp,,aem FPR,,thermal 3 inch catback,3 inch test pipe,hondata 2b ,thats basicly it

im just wondering y i didnt really gain any more HP after upping the boost??

i made a total of 12 runs,,

what shoulc i look into now?
i was hopin for over 200HP,,,we are gonna take the turbo off,,and see what its all about,,since i bought the car from txhatch like that,,,it may b too big or too small,,

we tried to make all the runs with the water temp around 170-180 or so

and just to let u guys know,,,
i made those 12 runs for only 150$$$,,and we were there fro about 2-3 hours,
i love livin in st louis

well,,let me know what i should look into ,
the car runs strong,,and stuff,,just kinda wanted some 230HP like i see alot on here

thanks mike
Old 08-02-2003, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice set up! im looking into a similar set up. one question.. why a gsr tranny? the ls tranny are perfect for turbo with there longer gears
Old 08-02-2003, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: got my turbo ls hatch dyno'd today,,got ?'s (Wrath of VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wrath of VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i cant put the charts on here,,but
best run of the day was 185HP,,156 tq,,at 7 psi

but when we brought it in the shop,,we were only runnin on 4psi
and it was hitting about 180 or so HP,,and 150 tq

what would b the prob??
shouldnt uppin the boost make me gain about 35-40 PSI going up to 7 lbs???

my mods are
93 LS motor(all stock as far as i know) 93 GSR tranny,,t3/t4 turbo,dont know stats on it,,has fmic,dont know who its made by,turboxs rfl BOV,greddy profec b(didnt really mess with it)deltagate wastegate
740 injectors,,255 lph in tank fp,,aem FPR,,thermal 3 inch catback,3 inch test pipe,hondata 2b ,thats basicly it

im just wondering y i didnt really gain any more HP after upping the boost??

i made a total of 12 runs,,

what shoulc i look into now?
i was hopin for over 200HP,,,we are gonna take the turbo off,,and see what its all about,,since i bought the car from txhatch like that,,,it may b too big or too small,,

we tried to make all the runs with the water temp around 170-180 or so

and just to let u guys know,,,
i made those 12 runs for only 150$$$,,and we were there fro about 2-3 hours,
i love livin in st louis

well,,let me know what i should look into ,
the car runs strong,,and stuff,,just kinda wanted some 230HP like i see alot on here

thanks mike
</TD></TR></TABLE>

it sounds like your turbo is trashed or soon to be..i made 224 on 6 psi and 290 ish on 11 psi with pretty much the same kind of set-up.. ..
Old 08-02-2003, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: got my turbo ls hatch dyno'd today,,got ?'s (espanol)

well,,some of u may know,,this car used to belong to txhatch on here

a couple months ago i bought it from him,,and did some of my own lil things to it
i bought it basicly with the 93ls motor,,93 gsr tranny,,profec b,and fmic,,
i put everything else on it that i listed,
about 300$$ worth of stuff,,
we are gonna take the turbo off,,and find what size it is,,and maybe then truly find out it i need a new turbo,,,
is there any way to tell if i need a new turbo,,besides takin it all apart??

can someone explain y it would make around the same HP and TQ at 4psi,,and at 7psi??

thanks ,,any more comments please
mike
Old 08-02-2003, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also,,i have seen many debates on the ls or GSR tranny,,but im gonna wait,,and see how i do in the qtr mile,,with the GSR tranny

i know some people say u end the qtr shiften to 5th or something like that

i may find a good used ls tranny around here,,and borrow it,,and see what kinda diff it makes,,

thanks
Old 08-02-2003, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ambition)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ambition &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> one question.. why a gsr tranny? the ls tranny are perfect for turbo with there longer gears</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hope you are kidding This isn't the time or place for this conversation....

I would recommend checking out the turbo as said above. I hope you find out what is wrong cause it seems like you have an affordable and effective setup if you can get it running right. Good luck

-Ryan
Old 08-02-2003, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Kwuaymaikrup)

actually the 90-93 ls trannies are better for turbo cars because they've got shorter gears than the 94+ ls'. my brother has a 91 turbo'd ls and i've got a 99 ls in my hatch and at 80mph he's doing 3.8-4k while i'm only at 3k. so the 90-93 ls trannies have almost the same gearings as the 94+ gsr's.

sorry but to answer your question...did you change plugs during the run? that could of been the situation. when i dyno'd my car for the first time i was at 165whp at 8.5 psi...changed the plugs and BOOM...185whp. it makes a difference on turbo'd cars
Old 08-02-2003, 09:48 PM

Default Re: (shermanyang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shermanyang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually the 90-93 ls trannies are better for turbo cars because they've got shorter gears than the 94+ ls'. </TD></TR></TABLE>

But the orignal post sayed the ls was better because of the longer gears (as where you correctly stated that shorter gears are better)....
Old 08-02-2003, 10:39 PM

Where do u live in st. louis and why dyno did u go to?
Old 08-03-2003, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a 90-93 integra ls that im turboing so yah for me.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:21 AM

hey wrath my car dyno'd like **** to the first time then found out my distributer was shot ... actual gear fell off in my hand when i took it off lol so check all your ignition. Also you may want to check your valves if they are loose or out you could be getting valve overlap bad that was another issue of mine. If you adjust them yourself the ls adjustments are intake .03-.05 and exhaust .08-.10 but for peak turbo hp you should want more lift so to get more lift make them the smaller size for less the larger.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:47 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ambition &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice set up! im looking into a similar set up. one question.. why a gsr tranny? the ls tranny are perfect for turbo with there longer gears</TD></TR></TABLE>

longer gears are never better for acceleration. shorter gears ALWAYS let you accelerate quicker and longer gears ALWAYS give you a higher top speed.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:51 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ambition &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice set up! im looking into a similar set up. one question.. why a gsr tranny? the ls tranny are perfect for turbo with there longer gears</TD></TR></TABLE>

WRONG... unless ure racing up pass 120+ and then you have the problem of boosting too long in 5th (which is a NONONONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... BOOOM)
Old 08-03-2003, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jeremyEG)

well i live in st charles MO
and i dyno'd at stiegeyier port and polish,,,the guy has the dyno behind his house,,hes cool as hell

i dyno'd my teg there,,about 3 years ago,

im gonna check all kinds of stuff out on the car
ill check ignition,,and ,,i have a fireball ignition system,,that was in the car when i bought it,,maybe its not right for it,,or plugged up wrong

when i 1st got my car on the dyno,,it was messing up at around 500rpm,,cutiing out a lil,,but still revin to 7100 or so,,it was doing 155 or so HP,,
,,after about 3 runs,,we changed the plugs,,to some the guy at the shop had,,they are alot colder then was in there,,and that was the prob with the cuttin out,,the spark plugs were only 1 colder then stock,,so after we put those in,,we were pullin about 180HP,,,
then we put a big fan in front of the car,,and it gained the 5HP,,
but for some reason the FMIC,,wasnt coolin the car down right,,i forget waht temp we were lookin at ,,but it was around 113 degress's ,,and it should of been well below that(thats what the guy from the shop says,,)

is there anything else i should check,,i really wanna see another 50 or so HP,,from the 4lbs to 7-8 lbs of boost,,but there is no change

i guess 185HP,,is good at 4lbs,,but i dont know why is wont make more HP,
maybe ill go back for a couple runs,,,,just to see what it does ,
cuz i made my best HP&lt;,on the last run,,so maybe it was a lil heatsoaked

anything i should do to keep it coo,,in between runs??

what kinda spark plugs are u turbo'd guys runnin??
ill have to get the # off the plugs in the car,,they r some champion,somthing or other,
maybe some NGks will b better

well any more help is great,,

the car runs great despite the dyno chart,,
with that 185HP dyno'd,,how much HP does it really have?
doesnt it lose about 15% or something threw the drivetrane??

thanks mike

Old 08-03-2003, 10:05 AM
GSRswapandslow

i think your turbo is FUCKED

you gained 5whp on 3psi?? that's fucked
Old 08-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GSRswapandbanned)

so is the turbo i should look into asap,,and not drive it??
what kinda future probs could i cause,,if i keep driving it,,if it truly has a f'ed up turbo

also,,what kinda turbo would u recommend??
how much can i get one for??
could i just use mine,,and charge wheels inside??
i dont know what trim,,and internal #'s mine is,
but
what should i look into for a 93 LS motor with the GSR tranny???
Old 08-03-2003, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr.JDM_KiD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.JDM_KiD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

WRONG... unless ure racing up pass 120+ and then you have the problem of boosting too long in 5th (which is a NONONONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... BOOOM)</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are wrong, i boosted all the time in 5th.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:28 PM
GSRswapandslow

5th gear kills boosted engines because the engine it turning faster than the tranny at that point. That puts weird load on the engine and EGT's just soar
Old 08-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRswapandbanned &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">5th gear kills boosted engines because the engine it turning faster than the tranny at that point. That puts weird load on the engine and EGT's just soar</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive made probably 30+ runs of 140 mph or more on my car, stock motor, over a 1.5 year period, and kept perfect compression to the day the car got stolen.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:54 PM
GSRswapandslow

you might have, but that doesn't mean everyone will

it's all in the tuning
Old 08-03-2003, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRswapandbanned &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you might have, but that doesn't mean everyone will

it's all in the tuning</TD></TR></TABLE>

you're right, i tuned the car to run a tad rich up top. its not about the mechanical side of an engine failing boosting in 5th. its the tune.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:26 PM

Default Re: (Mase)

arnet thoose injectors a lil big unless you have your fpr down the hondata should of helped you out with all that, try going somewhere else to get it tuned I ran like that almost on a base map. or you could have a exhaust leak along with a fucked up turbo cant really tell I would have to be there.

but good luck
Old 08-04-2003, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BoostedsiR)

well i found out something
it seems as tho i wasnt at full throttle when i shoulc of been

i was only at full boost at 6600rpm,,and i shut it down about 7100rpm

the guy that is doing my car,,was goinf over the files from his laptop,,and found it was only at like 1.5psi at 3000rpm or so

i really eased into the throttle,
so i need to just punch it i guess after i hit 4th,

would that make me gain more HP??
i hope,
im goinf to the strip next tues,,so ill let u know if i brake anything and what i run

let me know what u think
we are going back to the dyno in a month or so,,after we see what kinda turbo is on the car,,and see if its right for the motor,,and maybe add som elil things here and there
mike
Old 08-04-2003, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the tranny is longer then you stay in boost longer making more power longer hence going faster.... that was my thinking please correct im new to F.I.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:00 PM

Default Re: (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you're right, i tuned the car to run a tad rich up top. its not about the mechanical side of an engine failing boosting in 5th. its the tune. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Boosting 5th causes too much load and is not good for your car. if you stay in 5th gear from 40 mph to 120 mph constantly boost youll probaly **** something up.

Quick Reply: got my turbo ls hatch dyno'd today,,got ?'s