Notices

Got my car running! Boosted VERY late! Help! Why WG not closing fully? Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my car running! Boosted VERY late! Help! Why WG not closing fully? Normal?

The car pulls hard once it hits full boost at 7psi steady, but at 5,500rpm!!
I found out what might could be the problem.

-Checked for exhaust leak but didnt seem to be the case.
-Check charged pipings etc. No couplings loose or blown.
-Maybe tiny hole on weld somewhere? ( but lagged my to mid 5500rpm? to spool fully?) That should might be the case, but not that bad.
-My vac lines are nicely sealed.

BUT the bad thing is. Why isn't my wastegate fully shut?? When turning on the car, leaving it on idle, I can feel exhaust gas exiting the dump tube! Is this Normal on idle?

And yet, im running a MBC (ball/spring)... With or without. It still leaks out air on dump tube@! HELP!!

See sig for info of car.

Modified by synik at 8:18 PM 7/2/2004
Old 07-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got my car running! Boosted VERY late! Help! Why WG not closing fully? Normal? (synik)

O ring is in also.

Maybe the Burnt gasket is not helping?
Old 07-02-2004, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Got my car running! Boosted VERY late! Help! Why WG not closing fully? Normal? (synik)

What burnt gasket?

How big are your charge pipes? How long? How big is the intercooler? Even with a perfectly sealed system, you will have more boost lag than you might expect if you use too large of an intercooler or too much volume in the charge pipes. I made this mistake by using 3" charge pipes. Now I am eating the cost of those and going down to 2" charge pipes.

Remember that the turbo not only has to compress the intake manifold and cylinders, but everything leading up to them as well.

As for the WG, not a clue.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by synik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">O ring is in also.

Maybe the Burnt gasket is not helping?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exhaust exiting the wastegate at idle when you start the car is normal. It's not dumping alot of exhaust, just a little stream I bet. That is normal, nothing wrong.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Got my car running! Boosted VERY late! Help! Why WG not closing fully? Normal? (beepy)

Well I had the same problem and it was because I had a big hole in one of the IC pipe connectors. Air was leaking out so I could'nt full boost until like 6,000 RPM. I would check all pipes and connectors really carefully. Try feeling around the connections and giving it some throttle at the same time, see if you can hear or feal any air.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got my car running! Boosted VERY late! Help! Why WG not closing fully? Normal? (TurboCX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboCX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Exhaust exiting the wastegate at idle when you start the car is normal. It's not dumping alot of exhaust, just a little stream I bet. That is normal, nothing wrong. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Hope thats correct.

As for the piping size its 2.5" pipings all around.
57 Trim 63 AR Turbonetics t3-to4e
Tial 38mm .5 WG
Greddy Type S BOV
Custom FMIC 25x7x3*2 1/2" inlet/outletp72 ECU w/OBD1 Harness (Sportin UBER!) 460cc Inj - B&M Reg

Ive seen many with close to the same setup, and fully boost at 3000rpm ez! Any suggestions?

( from a member, i re route my BOV to the Fuel Pres Reg vacum line. )
Old 07-02-2004, 02:58 PM

I would check all the silicon connectors. But If I remember they were all brand new when I saw them.

EDIT: you also got to think about the elevation to bud. I didnt think I was going to have as much lag as I do with a 16g. Just some food for though.

WG problem is weird to me though

Jon
Old 07-02-2004, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Got my car running! Boosted VERY late! Help! Why WG not closing fully? Normal? (shadow103rd)

disconnect the tube going to the top of the WG, you really only need to use the bottem tube, this is what happened on my friend's old 99 Si with a Deltagate, it wouldnt close, took off the top hose and just ran the bottem as a pressure source and it worked awsome
Old 07-02-2004, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Got my car running! Boosted VERY late! Help! Why WG not closing fully? Normal? (Sideout)

did you install the kit yourself? if you did, did you remember to install the fire ring onto the wastegate? if you didn't this will cause a major exhaust leak at all times and would cause a late spool.
take the WG off and see if the ring is there to be sure.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got my car running! Boosted VERY late! Help! Why WG not closing fully? Normal? (98gsrTEG)

Yes, as stated aboved. Wastegate fire ring was in.
BUT I FOUND OUT WHAT IT WAS!!

The thing is that. FOr some odd reason I looked and looked. Didnt know what it was.

I will need to imform this to Stan.

The line i was using for Vaccum, was from Stan
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=825972
http://www.fast-turbo.com/Produtcs/WGkit/MWK1.JPG

Stoopid to think. DONT SCREW the side fittings from Stan more then Half way into the tial side!! If you do, this will hit the spring inside, causing it to no open, or even wide open! Weird to even find that buggy there, but the fitting was a little to long and had came in contact with the spring inside, which it help the spring and not let it move....

Since the tial fitting fit perfect when tighten.... Which i assume the Fitting from stan does the job also, who would of thunked.?

Now that works. SOme reason my MBC doesnt work now! Damn boosted so early where it hits 12psi~!!! Love the early boost, but loosen all the way, it still go past that big ugly margin.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was going to reply and tell you its the muckman kit that is doing it. But since you figured out that the fitting is to long and you cant screw it in very far.

Same thing happened to my car when I got my kit. I was like the 5 person to order one
Old 07-03-2004, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got my car running! Boosted VERY late! Help! Why WG not closing fully? Normal? (ghettocrxsi)

Yea, weird enough. It never clicked to me. I sat in my garage all day and night trying to figure it out.

I can barely maybe screw it in 40% of the thread.... Gotta keep in mind, you muckman line runners!
Old 07-03-2004, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just boosted my prelude and am not getting any boost at all, and have checked everything! And I also have the muckman kit from stan, and havn't even thought of this as being the problem, but dod you think that if it is screwed in too far that this would prevent me form boosting? thanks.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BB6-213)

Are you even boosting at all? Check the muckman kit and see if its screwed in all the way? Half way is its limit. Tial wastegate right?

It can be possible where it holds the spring open for some reason? ( mine did )
Old 07-03-2004, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (synik)

no boost at all , hopfully this is the problem, cause it might be screwed in too much, because I have checked everything else a million times and can't figure it out, but I havn't looked at that so I am going to unscrew it a bit and see if that works, and thanks for this thread, it might just be the thing that is making me not boost.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BB6-213)

Yea.. - Hope it solves the problem for you. Same here, I spent countless days triyng to firgure whats going on. From every inch of the motor! Does your wastegate leak exhaust gas on idle, from the dump side?
Old 07-03-2004, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (synik)

Yeah it does. It isn't that much but it does leak a bit, and I think that is kind of normal for it to leak a little bit.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I just tried to put on a regular rubber wg line, and still no boost, so I am going to go do something tha doesn't have to deal with my car because I am sick of trying to get it to work for today.