Notices

GOT big probs, after engine swap, high crazy idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GOT big probs, after engine swap, high crazy idle

ohk, got the motor in and everythin is fine till we started it up, upon startup it sounds like its choking and then it skyrockets in rpms..sometimes it will idle at about 3.5k. all the sensors to my knowledge are hooked up in accordance w/ the helms. its the damdest thing. ystrdy we bypassed the coolant lines to tb and IAVC and it would jump from 3-4k over and over like it was reving up n down. re did all the stuff to wat it should be and now the problem is just a climbing or high idle.what could it be? the car is a 99 gsr w/ new rebuilt motor, it uses a b16 oil cooler so the heater hose no longer had its own port on the coolant bar, we T'd it off into one of the coolant lines that goes into the stock cooler.

PLEASE HELP.
99gsr , gsr motor, sigh..gsr manifold n sensors.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GOT big probs, after engine swap, high crazy idle (rOby)

did you check your throttle cable?
Old 01-03-2003, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GOT big probs, after engine swap, high crazy idle (2K_TEG)

you sure you didnt smack the tps sensor? is it cracked or damaged in any way? getting any codes? the helms and a multimeter is your best friend
Old 01-03-2003, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GOT big probs, after engine swap, high crazy idle (lucas569)

cable is fine, loosened and tightened, no real difference.
tps doesnt look cracked..i might have to change it out tho and try..sigh damndest thing is no codes.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cable is fine, loosened and tightened, no real difference.
tps doesnt look cracked..i might have to change it out tho and try..sigh damndest thing is no codes.
well unless you know the exact resistance that thing has to be at youll have no luck there, theyre not interchangable. that is why you cant remove it, youll notice there rivits on it.

what most people do is cut some slits on the rivits to unscew them, its a bitch to do but if you know what your doing it can be done.

if your not handy w/ that type of **** RC engineering can calibrate it for you or you can buy a used tb off someone...
Old 01-03-2003, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i never removed the inside of cable, the only adjusting that has been done is removing it from the tb . we just tighterned and loosend the nut. other than that its never been removed.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oic, i thought you actaully removed the entire engine out of the car, see alot of people (mostly junkyards) smack the tps, honda actually mounts the motor from the bottom. not many people do that though and sometimes they smack it too when dropping the motor in.

this type of trouble shooting is a bitch, wish i had my helms in front of me cause i could give you exact values but id start w/ the easy stuff 1st, like making sure all the plugs/harnesses arent correded or a loose plug/wire, check the map sensor (sometimes it can get dirty especially if you had a turbo and the seal on the turbo let oil get in there)

check tps sensor, measure values, cas sensor, oh and i dont know if this is true but i think there are two plugs under the intake manifold that are the same and can actaully interchange, i thought i remeber another members car on here ran like **** cause he accidently swapped them (like i said dont qoute me on this)

sorry i couldnt be of more help.....

like i said before its time to start trouble shooting and the helms and a multimeter are your best friends, you wont believe how handy a multimeter is
Old 01-03-2003, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may seem unrelated to what you've done so far, but every time I see a crazy idle I start thinking about manifold leaks. Since it only takes about 2 seconds to check, you might as well. Just spray some WD-40 (or something similar) around the manifold. If the engine starts choking, you've identified the problem. It's a long shot, but it's an easy check...
Old 01-03-2003, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GOT big probs, after engine swap, high crazy idle (fsp31)

i heard the spray idea..but im not sure its a vacum leak..we double tripled every check, im just stumped...sigh
Old 01-03-2003, 11:34 PM

It's going into open loop from what you described. Check your o2 sensor. Or your thermo sensor. How long since you've changed your thermostat? There's a few things. I hope it helps. It sound's like a bad o2 though.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GOT big probs, after engine swap, high crazy idle (tzsir)

It's going into open loop from what you described. Check your o2 sensor. Or your thermo sensor. How long since you've changed your thermostat? There's a few things. I hope it helps. It sound's like a bad o2 though.
how's that solving his problems ? you;re talking about fuel related with open loop in O2 reading....his problem is obviously a throttle issues...not to mention he is on stock ECU

anyway, my suggestions : hold the gas till about 4500 rpm and hold it steady for about 30 sec or so, does the idle fluctuates up and down about 500 rpms ish ? if so, check your TPS sensor, make sure it's connected all the way

most of the time, in order for the ECU to throw any codes, it needs to have loads, if you can drive it around, put it in 4th gear from a dead stop and floor it for about 10 seconds or so, YES FLOOR IT and see if it throw any codes at that point

if you by pass the coolant lines to the IACV, it's gonna do that, leave all sensor and coolant lines as it is...

then post back here

stan

[Modified by Flamenco-T, 3:52 AM 1/4/2003]
Old 01-04-2003, 01:25 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: GOT big probs, after engine swap, high crazy idle (Flamenco-T)

The TPS and MAP sensor have the same plug so make sure you have them where they go. The only way to really do this is look at the color code of the wires. The MAP has 3 wires 1) Grn/white 2) white 3) yellow/red. Im not sure what color the wires on the TPS are but check the helms.

art
Old 01-04-2003, 01:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GOT big probs, after engine swap, high crazy idle (Arturbo)

The TPS and MAP sensor have the same plug so make sure you have them where they go. The only way to really do this is look at the color code of the wires. The MAP has 3 wires 1) Grn/white 2) white 3) yellow/red. Im not sure what color the wires on the TPS are but check the helms.

art
yes, it is so easy so mixed them up too, ask one of us here
Old 01-04-2003, 04:51 AM

Default Re: GOT big probs, after engine swap, high crazy idle (Flamenco-T)

So what happened?
Old 01-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GOT big probs, after engine swap, high crazy idle (turbo Si)

im almost positive its not from misplugging in the tps and map sensors, we thought this initially and retried it it, no avail. im not really sure about tryin to drive the car w/ it reving so high. when we switch the plugs , ie tps or map around, it will change the chareteristic of the reving. everything is wired according to the helms. the only thing i am not using is a breather bar..that black metal bar in which a port from near where the upper radiator plugs into and another end of the bar and ffeds to the tb, we just got tubing and connected it straight from the port near upper radiator port directly to the TB port. i dont see how this can cause any problems though. everythin has been checked plenty of times but i feel its probably a simple solution thats getting overlooked. all the sensors are from a 99 gsr that had 13k miles on it. in fact the only different thing between this motor and the previous is the block is from a diffferent gsr and the addition of an oil cooler.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:13 PM
Better than steak

Ok, you say your car is a 99 gsr but what year is that throttle body off off. Roby, IM me your # and I'll call you.

art
Old 01-04-2003, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, you say your car is a 99 gsr but what year is that throttle body off off. Roby, IM me your # and I'll call you.

art
now there is some HT love, GL bro in solving your problem.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

still lost sigh..we unpluged the sensor s completely just to see if the ecu would register it , it did, it displayed the codes for all sensors that were unplugged. only problem now is that one of my friends tried to start car w/ the jumper still in the blue ecu plug..and it wasnt starting, just clicking in random secession over n over when we tried to crank it over...could it be the battery or even worse the starter? sigh , , this car is kickn my *** left n right.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:29 PM

Take your valve cover off and look for anything out of the ordinary. I rebuilt an old LS motor once and the first time i started it up, the idle shot to 4krpm. I checked everything and didn't find anything wrong. I later went to tear it down to see if anything was wrong, and turns out while i was putting the cams back in one of the rocker arms came out the seat. That's the only thing i found to be out of place so i assume that was where the problem was.
Double check all your vacuum connections, t/b gasket, intake manifold gasket, and timing marks to make sure they all line up right.
As for your battery, just charge it up and it should be fine. Cranking the motor over takes a lot of juice out the battery, so it probably just needs a good charge.
Do you cut the motor off after you start it or let it idle even though it's high?
I may be in Houston soon, shoot me an IM if you're still having trouble and i'll stop by and give you a hand.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GOT big probs, after engine swap, high crazy idle (boostaholic)

so far i startup the motor and it chokes then soars, i end up cutting off the motor in fear of it gettin too high. i am already uneasy about having it rev like this just being rebuilt. the rev charecteristics varry depending on what combination of sensors we leave on or off. if all the sensors and vaccum are pluged normal, the idle climbs fast n high . if some sensors are unpluged , we may have a choppy idle or irratic idle. im guessing im having a problem w/ my iac valve but am not positive. i want to find another teg and just swap all it s sensor, tps, map, iac, evap, and see what the difference is if any. then systematically replace those sesnors w/ my originals until i get a junkie result. sad part is, i dont even know anyone else that owns an integra
Old 01-05-2003, 02:15 PM
Better than steak

roby I have a crap load of sensors. If need one let me know or call me since you now have my phone#.

art
Old 01-05-2003, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

will call art, thanks a bunch everyone.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:13 PM

What happened with your motor?
Old 01-11-2003, 03:46 PM

check the gaskets on the map and iac. My car did the same thing and changing the gaskets fixed it.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i decided to push it off a cliff hehe.
actually, i solved the leak. after tryn different sensors from a ls motor i realized it wasnt those. for some reason i decided to get under the car n spray upward w/ break cleaner.wallah, reving goes down..basically i had a leak at the bottome of the manifold , right where the butterfly plate is.

thanks for the concern its good to know ppl care.

Quick Reply: GOT big probs, after engine swap, high crazy idle