Notices

Good turbo kit for a b18c5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good turbo kit for a b18c5?

Im wondering what the best turbo kit would be for a b18c5? and would other b18 series kits fit on the b18c5?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good turbo kit for a b18c5?

power goals? precision sc50 or a turbonetics t04e 50 pretty efficient spool up quick and good for around 400 hp

As far as the rest of the kit you can either build one peice by peice or if you want to do a kit thats already done for you, spoolin performance does good work theres plenty of other brands. I put mine together piece by piece that way you can get exactly what your looking for.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 12stepdCivic
Im wondering what the best turbo kit would be for a b18c5? and would other b18 series kits fit on the b18c5?
All the b18 series kits except GS-R fit.

More information please. this isn't the yellow pages.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

few things you'll want to tell folks

1. what you can spend
2. what your power goal is
3. can you run e85 or does it have to be pump
4. is the ITR engine all stock
Old 12-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gt30r pieced together
Old 12-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the engine is stock. price is around 3000-4000, as for hp gains i would like to put 270 to the wheels and keep it as my daily driver
Old 12-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if so then get a simple t3t4 to4e.

270 is a very relaible and easy goal to meet.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

basically copy what i did. with that power goal and that budget you can go with top notch reliability and keep a full size radiator.

1. inline pro manifold
2. precision 5431e cea turbo with .63AR, must be 5 bolt if you use inline manifold
3. tial WG with .6 bar spring, probably could do .5 bar if you want 270whp
4. tail BOV with 12lb spring, check your vac to make sure for the spring
5. spoolin can make you a downpipe or have one fabbed local
6. same with the dumptube
7. aem wideband and boost gauge
8. mishimoto cheapie intercooler, precision would be better if you can swing it
9. charge tubing, was a guy on ebay selling great sets for $120
10. couplers & hoses you can have done from a local hyd line store
11. also suggest thermal coating the manifold, turbo hot side and downpipe, do the dumptube for fun as well.

same idea i had, itr and 300whp

atpturbo.com is great for odds and ends, also an authorized tial dealer

daves turbo has great prices on precision and inline you have to spend 375 and buy direct.

i'm going to start a build thread once i get the last of the parts and start assembly for tuning, probably feb-mar i should be done
Old 12-20-2011, 03:30 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a Mishimoto cheapie FMIC for sale brand new in box if needed to start a build
Old 12-20-2011, 05:58 AM

There are a variety of "kit" companies that include but are not limited to:

-Go-Autowerks
-RC Autowerks
-Spoolin' Performance
-Inline Pro

The reason why I specify these particular companies is because they include the smaller items that you may not be aware of that are needed. (I'm assuming this is your first turbo kit based upon the way you posted your original information).

When it comes to turbocharging, there's not only the manifold and turbocharger itself that you must worry about, but you need to be honest with yourself and ask whether or not Power steering and A/C are important to you, who's going to install the kit (yourself, or a shop) and what injectors and fuel management you plan to go with.

Stay away from Ebay at all costs. Since this is your first kit, and you seem to have a viable budget, I suggest as a first time user that you get your parts NEW. Otherwise, items like feed lines, return lines, couplers, Clamps, and the like, may not fit together if you don't know what you're doing completely. Not to discredit Racebum in anyway, but for first time users, its best to be able to source your major parts from ONE COMPANY; that way if there is anything missing or not fitting properly, you can go to that same source and get some assistance to get you on the road. But his underlying suggestion works; check out other turbo kits (GS-R/B16/C5 all are around the same style), that match your goals and configurations as a base to get your needs in order.

Now, for the "T3/T04E" part. Its best to understand right off the bat, that the term "T3/T04E" or "T3/T04B" are general configurations of the housings themselves in a Garrett cartridge that will fit the turbo kit. There are over 15-20 different combinations of compressor and exhaust wheels that fit within the term "T3/T04", all of which give different power and torque characteristics, so you need to make sure that whichever one you decide, that it fits the way in which you want power to come in, and not just the power goal itself. (Good job for at least stating that.;-) )

As for which turbo you should choose for the 270whp, please be aware that you may actually want more later, and that it should be taken into account when deciding. I'd first check Go-Autowerks, because of the fact that they give so many options of complete kits to fit your needs that is exactly within your $3000-$4000 budget.
http://www.go-autowerks.com. is what you need to check out.

If you notice there are not only several types of kits, but several types of exhaust manifolds to use on those kits. This is where the FAQs is best to check out "which manifold is best for me?" (Located here: https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/why-top-mount-2152865/).

This shows the differences between the types of exhaust manifolds and their different characteristics. In all honesty, the "log" manifolds that are not cast and the "Equal length shorty" manifolds are best for your application. But this is a great opportunity to educate yourself as you go through this process. The entire FAQ line is here: https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/%2A%2A%2Aforced-induction-forum-faq%2A%2A%2A-1024174/.

JOurnal bearing vs. Ball-bearing: Do you really need a ball-bearing turbocharger? 9 times out of 10 the answer is NO, even if you're looking for "quick response", as there are plenty in the journal bearing world that do just that, unless your type of driving involves any type of endurance racing. Its not necessary (nor will you see a difference) in a ball-bearing turbo at that power and pressure levels.

We'll talk about engine management, fuel pumps, and injectors once you've read and understood the information that I've given so far. k?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by 10psiLsEf2
gt30r pieced together
C'mon.. give the man some detail. completely unnecessary.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Another vouch for Go Autoworks. As Shodan said, you may want more later. I'm running a turbo and manifold setup that will leave me some room to grow later. (Go autoworks mini-ram/5857 Precision) If you can afford it, Shodan has his own Reaper turbo that is pretty impressive.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan

Stay away from Ebay at all costs.
as funny as this may sound it's absolutely the truth. even the silly clamps on ebay don't fit correctly. i once ordered some 2.75" band clamps only to receive 3.25" clamps and a seller that told me i was wrong LOL. not fitting, junk and worthless parts are commonplace

just had to emphasize that avoiding turbo parts on this site is a must. buy from real vendors, spoolin, go auto, atp turbo, turbo daves etc...

Last edited by racebum; 12-20-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thx for all the info shodan, i think ill think about putting a turbo in for a little while and just enjoy what i have for now and do some more research and figure out what it is I really want
Old 12-20-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget about engine management & fuel system needs.

I.E.: Chipped obd1 p28 spec ecu + dyno tune or hondata s300 system etc.
Wideband oxygen sensor gauge kit such as innovate mtx-l
Walbro 255 lph fuel pump with install kit
Injector Dymanics or DeatschWerks injectors (I recommend 550-1300cc depending on your goals/fuel being used etc.)
Aftermarket Hondata or Omni power map sensor if your running more then 10 psi of boost

Stock oem honda cap/rotor/coil will be fine up to 500 whp

For more information on this subject, review http://www.phearable.net/tech/efibeginnerguide.html
Old 12-20-2011, 06:39 PM

thx for all the info shodan, i think ill think about putting a turbo in for a little while and just enjoy what i have for now and do some more research and figure out what it is I really want
Good. Names like SSAutochrome, CX Racing, Godspeed, Blackworks , All= EBAY.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TheShodan has pretty much given the best advice you can possibly give. I've been reading this site for years and rarely post on here, obviously, but I've read many of his thread advice and it's all sound. Go-Autoworks is definitely an organization I can vouch for. I've been contacting them regarding specs for my new build, and they've worked with me to determine what setup I need (in my scenario, the Street Kit X). They're also very reasonable for the price considering the quality and longevity of the parts.

From what you've stated, it sounds like their basic kit for about 2000 would fit your needs nicely, but since you've got a bit more money than that, the Street Kit X seems to be suitable.

Just felt I'd throw in my two cents since you sound exactly like I did a few months ago when I decided to go the turbo route. Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mtber
Don't forget about engine management & fuel system needs.

I.E.: Chipped obd1 p28 spec ecu + dyno tune or hondata s300 system etc.
Wideband oxygen sensor gauge kit such as innovate mtx-l
Walbro 255 lph fuel pump with install kit
Injector Dymanics or DeatschWerks injectors (I recommend 550-1300cc depending on your goals/fuel being used etc.)
Aftermarket Hondata or Omni power map sensor if your running more then 10 psi of boost

Stock oem honda cap/rotor/coil will be fine up to 500 whp

For more information on this subject, review http://www.phearable.net/tech/efibeginnerguide.html
Easily the most overlooked aspect to building any setup it seems. People buy this and that, spend all their money, and then blow their motor because they forgot about the most important part, proper fueling and tuning!
Old 02-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go with hondata s300 and boost solenoid option for maxmimum torque!
Old 02-19-2012, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im gonna have to disagree with the ebay thing this one time because his goals are very modest. if u dont try to push them to high numbers and be honest about what youve bought an ebay kit is not all that bad. i realize quality is most definately less but for 1000 bucks for a complete kit is tough to beat. plus my buddys h22 eg is going on year 4 on the same kit no issues whatsoever. please don't rip me to pieces for praising ebay cuz im not, u get what u pay for. but they do work if installed correctly and not pushed to the limit. i have one installed currently and am only upgrading because i want more if i was gonna stay around 300 i wouldnt bother spending the money. just my .02 is all im always the guy thinking of cost. spending 1000 bucks on just a turbo to get to 270hp doesnt add up to me. now spending 1000 bucks on just a turbo that will get u 500+ i think is worth it.