Notices

GOING TURBO!! GSR or Type-R?? built? Lsd?? Suggestions please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 01:54 PM
TiredToyotaDriver

Default GOING TURBO!! GSR or Type-R?? built? Lsd?? Suggestions please!

whats up fellas... I've been beating around in a '95 GSR for about a year and a half now, and have been saving money and doing homework on a nicer integra... I am thinking about purchasing a type-r and keeping my GSR until I can build up the ITR...
I am going to use the ITR chassis and interior regardless, and probably go JDM ITR HID front end conversion...now for my questions... I was planning on putting the ITR motor in my GSR and having the GSR block/head built for turbo... I want to go turbo regardless but I dont know which engine to go with... I'm sure the ITR swapped GSR would sell and it's going to have low mileage...so I can get some decent money from that... any suggestions on what I should do??
As of now I want to drop the ITR engine in the GSR and bang around in that until the GSR motor is built/boosted and put into the type-r... I am going to start out with a nice turbo kit and probably run 6-8 PSI to start out with...however, I'm sure I'll outgrow my turbo and want to run higher boost... I've heard Type-R motors are generally not the best for turbo because of the head and the high compression of the pistons... does the ITR chassis/transmission sound like it will work well with a built and boosted GSR motor?? All I know is that it is going to be one sexy ride with the ITR front and the Type-R body/seats/interior/tranny...but which motor should I use???

I'm new to the turbo scene but I'm learning quickly and I have my father as a resource because he runs a shop....I need some input from anyone who has done this or knows anything about boosted B-series motors, ITR's, GSR's, turbo in general...I tried searching the archives but could not find exactly what I was looking for...

Also, Im looking for input on which turbo kit works best with b-series i.e. most reliable, least amount of lag, fastest spool, most HP, most upgradable... help help help!~!! ready set go! : D
Old 06-12-2005, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GOING TURBO!! GSR or Type-R?? built? Lsd?? Suggestions please! (TiredToyotaDriver)

Don't pillage an ITR by swapping in a GSR motor. That takes a good amount of value out of the car if you ever want to sell it later. Instead of buying an ITR, why not just take your GSR and build it the way you want to. It'll be cheaper than buying an ITR.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:03 PM
TiredToyotaDriver

Default Re: GOING TURBO!! GSR or Type-R?? built? Lsd?? Suggestions please! (boosted92)

I dont think it would be a crime to throw a bored and honed block with forged pistons and rods and a ported, polished and built head of a GSR into the ITR... I want the goodies that the ITR has such as the interior, suspension, 5-lug,, but I need something that is more turbo tuff whereas the ITR motor is not...

more input?

edit- the body and the interior of my GSR is beat... I want a newer platform to build my monster...i.e. no dings, rock chips, stains, dirt, less wear n tear, less miles.... and the ITR seems like the best platform... Im waiting for one at a dealer auction through my dads shop.. they surface about 4-5x/year and go for very low prices...so the expense of the ITR is only a small factor...

MORE INPUT!! cmon experts!!
Old 06-12-2005, 08:26 PM
TiredToyotaDriver

Default Re: GOING TURBO!! GSR or Type-R?? built? Lsd?? Suggestions please! (TiredToyotaDriver)

tt
Old 06-12-2005, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TiredToyotaDriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont think it would be a crime to throw a bored and honed block with forged pistons and rods and a ported, polished and built head of a GSR into the ITR... I want the goodies that the ITR has such as the interior, suspension, 5-lug,, but I need something that is more turbo tuff whereas the ITR motor is not...</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you put new pistons, rods, and a ported head on the ITR it will be exactly the same as the GSR except for the ITR cylinder head has slightly larger chambers. Same bore, same stroke, same pretty much everything once you mod it that heavily. An ITR motor in your GSR might boost the price up by a grand, but pulling out the original ITR motor might take 3 or 4 thousand off of the value of the car when you end up wanting to sell it, and it'll make it a harder sell for someone looking for a real ITR.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TiredToyotaDriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">more input?

edit- the body and the interior of my GSR is beat... I want a newer platform to build my monster...i.e. no dings, rock chips, stains, dirt, less wear n tear, less miles.... and the ITR seems like the best platform... Im waiting for one at a dealer auction through my dads shop.. they surface about 4-5x/year and go for very low prices...so the expense of the ITR is only a small factor...

MORE INPUT!! cmon experts!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sounds fine then, but taking out the ITR motor for a GSR isn't the best way to go about things. Lots of people on here run ITR's at 8 pounds of boost on even a larger T3/TO45 57-trim turbo with great results, and have great reliability on the street.

If I were in your shoes and you can get the ITR at a good price like you say, here's what I'd probably do.
-Buy the ITR
-Keep the GSR, or buy something else for a good daily
-Turbo the stock motor ITR and drive that for a fun weekend car
-When you get sick of 250-300 WHP, build the shortblock

Or if I had piles of money and a shop to do it, I'd keep the GSR, strip it to a shell, and rebuild it exactly how I wanted it.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: GOING TURBO!! GSR or Type-R?? built? Lsd?? Suggestions please! (boosted92)

GSR or Type R boosted =
Old 06-13-2005, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GOING TURBO!! GSR or Type-R?? built? Lsd?? Suggestions please! (beerbongskickass)

Type R boosted with a Gsr motor, 582HP and he could sell it for alot more than a regular type R!!!!

Old 06-13-2005, 11:48 AM
TiredToyotaDriver

Default Re: GOING TURBO!! GSR or Type-R?? built? Lsd?? Suggestions please! (B18c1turboedEg)

good input guys...keep it comin!! btw...sexy sexy PY Teg.... I absolutely HATE yellow...but that ITR pulls it off with the front end...is that one for sale ?? : D

Modified by TiredToyotaDriver at 10:17 PM 6/13/2005
Old 06-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GOING TURBO!! GSR or Type-R?? built? Lsd?? Suggestions please! (B18c1turboedEg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18c1turboedEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Type R boosted with a Gsr motor, 582HP and he could sell it for alot more than a regular type R!!!!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i bet a regular r with out that stupid hood or wing would be worth more still
Old 06-13-2005, 09:39 PM
TiredToyotaDriver

Default Re: GOING TURBO!! GSR or Type-R?? built? Lsd?? Suggestions please! (Boosted Chemist)

yeh I definately like the OEM hood in carbon and OEM type-r wing...vurry sexy, dont need the rice...but back to subject here... build the GSR?? what pistons would be nice on a turbo setup? what turbo? I dont want any lag, just raw horses!! i also am looking for suggestions as to what else I should do internally to the head, block, tranny, etc... and what kind of fuel/engine management is easiest/most efficient/cost affective... hook me up!
Old 06-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i ditched my R block for a gsr block w. je 9.8:1 piston and probe ib spec rods, i would of boosted the R block but it had ctr piston all done up freshly didn't want to tear apart a beatiful block... i see nothing wrong with real Type R with gsr block

either way i am never goin to sell my car...
Old 06-14-2005, 11:36 AM
TiredToyotaDriver

Default Re: GOING TURBO!! GSR or Type-R?? built? Lsd?? Suggestions please! (GunMETAL_TEgRa)

same here... when its all done, I doubt I will ever get rid of it...and even if i decide to, I'll sit around and wait for the right offer...anything else?
Old 06-14-2005, 04:44 PM
TiredToyotaDriver

up!
Old 06-15-2005, 07:35 PM
TiredToyotaDriver

someones got some info they're holding out on...cmon lets hear it
Old 06-15-2005, 09:08 PM

why dont you just build the gsr longblock how you want, and keep the itr longblock incase you ever sell it, kinda like the old hot rod guys do. like putting a built motor into your 65 mustang will kill the value of a numbers matching car, so they keep the original 289 to put back in.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:18 PM
TiredToyotaDriver

Default Re: GOING TURBO!! GSR or Type-R?? built? Lsd?? Suggestions please! (95cxh22a)

good idea

I could def. store the ITR motor...

I'm pending a sale for an absolutely gorgeous teg...Champ White, CF hood/lip, JDM ITR front end, Recaros,Volks, Turbonetics....01 w/ 27k miles!! JE pistons, eagle rods LS/VTEC...IM IN LOVE...380hp/260ft/lb @ 15 PSI... I want her soo bad

any ideas for a nice block/head + Turbo package?? i want power but i want reliability..and assume its going to be built/installed professionally...
Old 06-16-2005, 04:22 PM

Def store the itr complete swap and buy another swap, to put in, built for the application you will be using it for. Then if you ever want to sell it, you can put everything back to original. If the body is still clean, it will be worth a real lot more than that drag car above.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:54 AM

i say....build the gsr if your gunna go turbo. typeR turbo is a waste IMO. itr has too high of a compression so you wont be able to run the boost!!!....TURBO GSR!!..and if you want one...i have a DRAG kIT for SALE!!
Old 06-17-2005, 03:22 PM
TiredToyotaDriver

Default Re: (2nd_Gen)

thats what I've been thinking...I might just skip out on the whole ITR Idea and build my GSR from the ground up...its just going to be a pain b/c of a strut bar that was welded that I had to cut... and the body on my teg is horrible... i guess thats why they call these things project cars, huh?