Notices

Going turbo, buy an LS or GSR Integra?

Old 03-10-2003, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going turbo, buy an LS or GSR Integra?

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but not new to Integras. 2 years ago, I sold my 97 GSR to get out of debt. Now I have the money once again to begin my next project. My question is:

I have not bought my new Integra yet, but I'm going to add a custom/Revhard turbo kit to whatever Integra I buy. I want to make the most power without doing the internals. I plan on dyno tuning the whole project. Obviously the GSR has higher compression (10:1) and the LS/GS has lower compression (approx 9:1). There is a 30 HP difference between both cars. My question is, Will I be able to overcome that 30HP diff by raising the boost SAFELY higher in the LS than I would in the GSR? With stock internals, will I be able to make more WHP in the LS versus the GSR? Any thoughts on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan Fox
91 MR2 turbo
90 Integra beater
SOON 98 LS/GS/GSR Integra
Old 03-10-2003, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Going turbo, buy an LS or GSR Integra? (IntegraFanatic)

everything is better in a gsr..from the flow characteristics of the head to the tranny.....i wish i had a gsr instead of my ls...sigh.... and your comrpession should help with spool time too...sigh....

[Modified by mamaboy, 4:27 PM 3/10/2003]
Old 03-10-2003, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Going turbo, buy an LS or GSR Integra? (mamaboy)

Since your going turbo and modding your teg Id suggest in getting an OBD1 Integra that way if you intend to go hondata or whatever, it will be easier to hook up and less hurt on the pocketbook. There also cheaper to buy...and less **** to worry about over all.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Going turbo, buy an LS or GSR Integra? (BVM)

Since your going turbo and modding your teg Id suggest in getting an OBD1 Integra that way if you intend to go hondata or whatever, it will be easier to hook up and less hurt on the pocketbook. There also cheaper to buy...and less **** to worry about over all.
BVM,

Just out of curiosity, What types of times do you run in th 1/4? also the WHP you put down? I understand your point on the OBD1. Thanks. BTW, Do you recommend the GSR or LS if you were to do it over?

[Modified by IntegraFanatic, 12:14 PM 3/10/2003]
Old 03-10-2003, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My best time was right around 13.0 @ 113 on Drag Radials.
Id go GSR still.

[Modified by BVM, 11:14 AM 3/10/2003]
Old 03-10-2003, 08:15 AM

My best time was right around 13.0 @ 113 on Drag Radials.
Id go GSR still.
Real quick, Do you have built internals? or any special mods besides the usual turbo goodies? Thanks man
Old 03-10-2003, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as for completely stock blocks, I believe the LS can make more power (probably close to the same HP, but more Torque than the GSR) by being able to run more boost (say 12 psi daily) whereas the gsr wont be able to do it,

Of course its a toss up because, its a fact the GSR head outflows the LS no problem, and the GSR tranny is more sutiable for drag strip conditions.....however, the LS tranny will make a good tranny for 'highest' speeds, and also better for highway crusing.

Personally, if you even have a chance at building the motor (which most people will want later when they have a craving for more boost), id get the gsr motor. But if you are gonna keep it stock, id go w/ the LS.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Going turbo, buy an LS or GSR Integra? (Mase)

what Mr. Cheap Bling said
Old 03-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Going turbo, buy an LS or GSR Integra? (Flamenco-T)

screw a LS. spend the extra money an get a gsr, u will be happier in the long run.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Going turbo, buy an LS or GSR Integra? (DIRep)

screw a LS. spend the extra money an get a gsr, u will be happier in the long run.
WHY? so when you get smoked by a STOCK LS, and you up the boost to beat him, and blow the motor, and it costs 3x as much for parts for your GSR as an LS does??

Old 03-10-2003, 08:44 AM
Smarter than you

WHY? so when you get smoked by a STOCK LS, and you up the boost to beat him, and blow the motor, and it costs 3x as much for parts for your GSR as an LS does??

but then the gsr guy builds his motor and the LS guy is pissed cause he realizes if he wants to beat the gsr he has to buy all gsr parts.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

but then the gsr guy builds his motor and the LS guy is pissed cause he realizes if he wants to beat the gsr he has to buy all gsr parts.

weaker than my great grand mothers hip....

Regardless if he builds it, he still blew the motor, was the laughin stock of the whole town cuz everyone saw him get smoked, then get smoked again when he blew up the motor, then he left his car on the side of the road till morning....His car got broken into, everthing stolen from it....

In the long run, not only will he take forever and spend a lot of money, by the time he saved up enough money to build the motor, replace the interior stuff that got stolen, THE LS GUY - Bought him a spare GSR block, built it, and had NO DOWN TIME!

Beat that ****!

/end novel
Old 03-10-2003, 08:55 AM

Get the gsr motor. It will make more power regardless, pound for pound.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:58 AM
Smarter than you

that just proves the guy driving the gsr was a retard. he should have got hondata before he tried to turn up the boost. tune it to 10lbs and put down 300whp, or maybe install an inline pro headgasket and tune it or 13-14 just like LS. then the motor would have never blown and he would have never lost. and he'd still have money to build the motor later. suckkk iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttt!
Old 03-10-2003, 09:05 AM

Ok guys, I get the point With all the talk of motors blowing, Doesnt anyone dyno tune their cars (regardless of LS/GSR) with V-AFC, FMU, and dynojet? Are you saying you cant boost 12lbs without the Hondata, even if I did the 3 things(V-AFC, FMU, and dynojet)
Old 03-10-2003, 09:13 AM

You can boost it w/o some sort of fuel management system (hondata, aem, dfi, haltech, speedpro, etc...).

It's just safer with a fuel management system.

Old 03-10-2003, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that just proves the guy driving the gsr was a retard. he should have got hondata before he tried to turn up the boost. tune it to 10lbs and put down 300whp, or maybe install an inline pro headgasket and tune it or 13-14 just like LS. then the motor would have never blown and he would have never lost. and he'd still have money to build the motor later. suckkk iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttt!
Still weak....Well you made a good point GSR Owner = Retard (haha), but you see, when he got the headgasket, since he was a retard, and didnt torque it down to the right specs, and boom.....gsr still loses
Old 03-10-2003, 09:20 AM

This is off subject, but what is the max psi that can be run w/the stock injectors? Assume a Revhard 2 kit, w/walbro fuel pump. Thanks
Old 03-10-2003, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your only limitation on the FMU is fuel pressure at 7.5psi, you're pushing about 125ish of fuel press, right about borderline...

so it's not the max HP or boost you can push, more like fuel due to the FMU...

stan
Old 03-10-2003, 09:40 AM

go with larger injectors & the afc hack or standalone.

FMU = ***** Motors Up
Old 03-10-2003, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Going turbo, buy an LS or GSR Integra? (Flamenco-T)

The last time I went to the dyno with my car before it was stolen, the max we could get the stock injectors to handle safely with a VAFC was 7 psi before the fuel pressure got riduculous or CEL would come on. We backed it down to .45 bar and had no prolems getting close to a 11.8 AFR. I could have been having other issues as well but thats just all that particular set would do ON MY CAR, someone else's car may have been able to get more..who knows...

This was on a Rev-Hard kit with B trim running into a 2.25" exhaust, VAFC, 12:1 FMU, inline fuel pump, with stock in-take fuel pump.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Going turbo, buy an LS or GSR Integra? (ski_rebel_3)

I would get an LS... Just my $.02... Use the search this has been covered soooo many times. I like the fact that I can go pick up a nice, relatively new b18b longblock for under a grand if something happens to my current engine.. knock on wood. Good luck with whatever route you take
Old 03-10-2003, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Going turbo, buy an LS or GSR Integra? (mskibbz-T)

Get an RS its lighter than the ls. On completely stock motors whp would be a tossup but the ls should get more tq. The gsr has shorter ratio tranny wich will make it slightly faster but higher rpm on freeway. Gsr should last longer; ie. girdle oil squirters. However ls motor is cheaper to replace.
In the end i'd go with the RS trim because its about 150lbs less than the gsr which makes a huge difference(gsr 2667, ls 2643, rs 2529); it will be cheaper to buy than the gsr, and it will have cheaper insurance.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:08 PM

It's about hp, gsr will make more power with less boost. I had LS, 220hp @ wheels with Hondata and a cat(without cat maybe 240ish. GSR will make more...period. I will hit @280hp with the same boost, because of higher compression and a WAY better flowing motor, VTEC, etc. (Also got a Revhard going on instead of DragIII). Doing the swap right now. GSR is just a better motor now, and later after buildling it. BUT, if you want to go cheap, can't beat $600 LS longblocks if you blow it......which you shouldn't do unless you get 1-greedy, 2-no tune, 3-no engine management.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Going turbo, buy an LS or GSR Integra? (Reilly)

Get a '95 GSR, turbo, hondata, your there. 8K redline, what more can I say?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going turbo, buy an LS or GSR Integra?