Notices

going turbo..auto tranny hold up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 going turbo..auto tranny hold up?

I have a 2007 acura tsx....how much boost can the tranny hold? what do I need to do to it to make it stronger? level 10?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going turbo..auto tranny hold up?

Level 10 will cost 4-6k for a rebuilt trans and convertor.
If thats not a problem give them a try. I would just swap
to a manual if it was my car.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Manual is the only way to go if you want reliability for future power. That engine will hold much more power than that auto transmission will. It can be done but there is a reason that not too many people do it
Old 07-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the tranny is in good condition to start, it will run fine for many years, just avoid doing stupid **** with it that would cause damage, like neutral bombing it. The only thing you could run a risk of is ballooning the torque converter if you do brake launches on the regular. You may want to invest in a upgraded stall converter for those kinds of launches. But they hold up just fine if you take care of them, theres alot of people on here running turbo automatics with nitrous and they handle even better then most of the idiots with manuals on here who sackride the 5spd to no end. Typically you will see someone post about how crappy the automatic is and then a week later they will post about how they missed a shift and over revved t heir engine and blew a rod through the oil pan. Remember, the toughest race cars in the world are automatic, and the toughest trucks haul the heaviest **** with automatics, their designed for the power inherently. Hondamatics are just small in size and not built for drag racing.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:54 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

^^ Excellent way to uphold your argument... Kudos.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
^^ Excellent way to uphold your argument... Kudos.
All i run are automatics my buddys 11 second monte carlo is automatic, his daily driver grand prix runs 13 flat and its automatic. Both his cars would eat the ***** off of any honda on this forum, so the argument between automatic and manual transmissions is a mute point for me, if you know how to buildem right, you get great results.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spawne32
All i run are automatics my buddys 11 second monte carlo is automatic, his daily driver grand prix runs 13 flat and its automatic. Both his cars would eat the ***** off of any honda on this forum, so the argument between automatic and manual transmissions is a mute point for me, if you know how to buildem right, you get great results.
Whoa whoa wait a second...13 flat will "eat the ***** off any honda in this forum"? I was starting to see your side of the argument until you posted that unintelligent piece of nonsense. Now I am questioning how much you know about turbocharged hondas. You will not eat my ***** off with a 13 second car, that is for sure.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If honda automatic transmissions can be built to hold so much power, then why arent any of the fastest hondas automatics? There are loads of 9 second hondas on this forum and I am willing to bet none of them run an automatic transmission. The fact is that automatic trannys work great in domestics and large displacement vehicles because they are not required to rev nowhere near as high as most honda engines. Spinning an auto tranny to 10k rpms time and time again takes its toll and will require countless amounts of money in order to make it bulletproof. To me, that is just not practical when a stock manual tranny can hold 500+ whp with the addition of an lsd. These days, its all about what is practical. Why spend thousands on building an automatic to hold 400hp when you can spend 600 on a manual that will hold that all day (with a competent driver)?
Old 07-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The largest issue with auto trannies is usualy tuning unless
you have a very low power build. But I dont follow the new
stuff well enough to know what they are doing in terms of
engine management.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so any was a poor choice of words, MOST hondas on this forum, granted there are a select number of decent running high hp hondas on here that run good times. The vast majority of this forum though, doesnt see close to 9 seconds.

Just because most of the people on here dont invest in automatic transmissions doesnt mean they are capable of handling 10krpms on a 9 second drag car. In fact automatic transmissions are better suited at those kinds of speeds. Most people covert TOO an automatic transmission when they get that fast.

What annoys me is people that judge other people entirely based on the transmission in the car. Seems to be a very big thing on this forum that people judge people strictly because there isnt a clutch pedal.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nobody is judging anybody. All I am saying is that a Honda auto transmission is not a popular choice due to the fact that it will not hold the torque desired in a turbocharged application without extensive modification. If there was any way to bolt a t-350 tranny to a b series, then that would be a killer setup. But there isnt, so as far as auto trannys and hondas go, not a good match in my opinion. No 9 second honda owner is gonna switch to an auto tranny to obtain a quicker et. I totally support auto transmissions, just not on a honda. If anyone wants to take there 700whp car and bolt up an auto tranny to test it out, feel free to prove me wrong. I am always up for new info and would love to see it. I could care less if it has a clutch pedal or not, if a car is fast, it is fast.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You in luck, im going for just such a "prove everyone wrong" venture on my car :p
Old 07-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol...you speak of an 11 and 13 second cars and then say there aren't many 9 second Hondas on this forum. WTF are you comparing 11 and 13 second cars to 9 second cars for? There are plenty of 11 AND 13 second Hondas on this forum.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by th3pwn3r
Lol...you speak of an 11 and 13 second cars and then say there aren't many 9 second Hondas on this forum. WTF are you comparing 11 and 13 second cars to 9 second cars for? There are plenty of 11 AND 13 second Hondas on this forum.
arguing over the internet is like running the special olympics, even if you win, your still retarded, so im not even gona break into this conversation any further.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

arguing over the internet is like running the special olympics, even if you win, your still retarded, so im not even gona break into this conversation any further.
Right, I agree but I'd much rather be the least retarded in the group of retards. I see you have conceded though. Later, retard.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by th3pwn3r
Right, I agree but I'd much rather be the least retarded in the group of retards. I see you have conceded though. Later, retard.
:rofl: whatever, im available to race anytime my friend
Old 07-17-2010, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

200whp for stock auto,anything more and ul eat the clutch in the tc and the clutches in the box,
must run external oilcooler ,prefably with a fan,thats wat mine looks like,im also running the stock oilcooler aswel,my box is built by ipt(www.importperformancetrans.com)
so far with out 2step and pushing 17saround i get flat 15secs on 151wkw and exit speed of 162kph,once i get 2step and vtec il be looking for 11,low 12s,
one reason of keeping auto is ,do 8hrs traffic evryday with uprated clutch pressing in and out every second ,building that calf muscle till burns or sit and release brake....and be cool coz its auto and u wana be diff,look in the b20 thread thers a 600whp auto,manual jus easier and cheaper,i prefer to be unique thanks
Old 07-17-2010, 06:40 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by spawn_616
200whp for stock auto,anything more and ul eat the clutch in the tc and the clutches in the box,
must run external oilcooler ,prefably with a fan,thats wat mine looks like,im also running the stock oilcooler aswel,my box is built by ipt(www.importperformancetrans.com)
so far with out 2step and pushing 17saround i get flat 15secs on 151wkw and exit speed of 162kph,once i get 2step and vtec il be looking for 11,low 12s,
one reason of keeping auto is ,do 8hrs traffic evryday with uprated clutch pressing in and out every second ,building that calf muscle till burns or sit and release brake....and be cool coz its auto and u wana be diff,look in the b20 thread thers a 600whp auto,manual jus easier and cheaper,i prefer to be unique thanks
Old 07-17-2010, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

didnt know about IPT, thanks, looks like they have the stuff i needed
Old 07-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ty is very helpful,if u cant find it on their site jus drop him a email and he'll direct u,level ten or ipt,but level ten is abit overpriced for me
Old 07-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ipt and level 10 are both in north jersey, so i could drive the trans up there on a uhaul
Old 07-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The design of the Honda transmission is very bad for any decent amount of power and like somone else said 10,00rpm will only hurt it more. The auto can barley handle the v6 and even then there known to go out. They are just not designed or meant to do this period. Drag hondas use jerico transmissions, that's why they do not bother building the auto. Auto also sucks up power and tq and a Honda needs as much as it can when it comes to making power. It's just a bad trans period, yes other imports and domestic can built a good drag trans. Honda will still blow even of there built, it's just a poor design.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm i do not agree with the sucking up of power and torque.period,infact i have a dyno graph of the two on the same dyno and same day(stock vs stock),while the manual made 1wkw more the auto made 15nm more torque,and i think if u search this forum u can find simialar results,the torque converter has the multiplier affect aswel
Old 07-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm i do not agree with the sucking up of power and torque.period,infact i have a dyno graph of the two on the same dyno and same day(stock vs stock),while the manual made 1wkw more the auto made 15nm more torque,and i think if u search this forum u can find simialar results,the torque converter has the multiplier affect aswel
qft
Old 07-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A fluid coupling is a two element drive that is incapable of multiplying torque, while a torque converter has at least one extra element—the stator—which alters the drive's characteristics during periods of high slippage, producing an increase in output torque.