Notices

going boost from being NA. can i change pistons & rods with out pull the motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default going boost from being NA. can i change pistons & rods with out pulling the motor

i have a fully built all motor lsvtec making 198whp& 151tq and i'm sick on how slow all motor is. my setup is in my signature. i already have all the parts to go boost. i have a t3 60-1 and all the other goodies. ialso have forged pistons & rods. i was wondering if i can just pull the head and oil pan and put the forged pistons in. do i need to hone the walls again. i have 81.5mm cast pr3 pistons in the block now. the engine only has 10,000 miles and everything is bacically still brand new. will the clearences be different from cast pistons to my forged pistons.

or should i just buy a new block and start over. would that be easer. cuz its not really hard to pull the head and pan to swap pistons and rods. i'm just worryed if the clearances will be the same and if it will get proper ring seal.

heres a pic of my car for more replys

Old 10-09-2005, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: going boost from being NA. can i change pistons & rods with out pulling the motor (riceball777)

you should be fine, but if you wanted to be extra safe, i would bore the cylinders out another .010 over and get 81.75 pistons
Old 10-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going boost from being NA. can i change pistons & rods with out pulling the motor (riceball777)

i dont see why its not possible get new rings balance your new pitons and rods take the head off drop the pan and do it. even though its not a total rebuild u will still have to break the rings in. and if your running synthetic go back to regular oil for how ever many miles i suggest 2k but others may say different NE ways welcome to boost, broken axles,no traction, and idiots asking u all sorts of stupid questions about yer car and them telling u what they want to do to there car haha good luck
Old 10-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going boost from being NA. can i change pistons & rods with out pulling the motor (mattcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NE ways welcome to boost, broken axles,no traction, and idiots asking u all sorts of stupid questions about yer car and them telling u what they want to do to there car haha good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

soooo true lol
Old 10-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

o/t sweet looking car !!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldn't risk the chance of just dropping in forged low compression pistons without bore/honing it properly.......the forged pistons expand much more than the stock cast pistons. right now your piston to wall clearence is probably .001 where a good forged piston requires a miniuum of .003

if you drop those forged pistons in without the extra .002 clearence they need they will expand to much and expletive up your cylinder walls pretty bad.....

if i were you i would find another short block and build that one up then just do a block swap.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that car will surprise people when boosted..
Old 10-10-2005, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostjunkie757)

I just recently did an internal swap as well. I pulled the head a dropped the oil pan. Most piston companies make the forged pistons with piston-to-wall clearances around 0.0035. Just get feeler gauges to make sure the the 0.003 slightly grabs and the 0.004in doesn't move at all when checking the clearance. It takes a bit of time, but well worth. Immediately get it tuned. Try and get it towed to the tuner and have them break the motor in on the dyno. Talk to Earl. He has good products for a good price + great service answers that will help you along the way.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:21 AM

Theres a good chance that you'd be ok just dropping the pan and pulling the head off and throwing the pistons and rods in. You'd need to get it tuned immediately though. If I were you I'd just save myself the possible trouble in the future and just give the block a qucik hone in order to deal with the forged pistons expanding. Its up tp you. Its your motor.