Notices

Go-Autoworks street vs. tuner kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go-Autoworks street vs. tuner kit

Go-Autoworks street vs. tuner kit-
Is the tuner kit more expensive only due to turbocharger options?
The wastegate port location on the street kit manifold looks better than on the tuner kit.
Anyone heard of boost creep when using the tuner kit manifold?

street kit-http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/gostkit.html

tuner kit-http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/gotutusy1.html
Old 12-11-2012, 06:14 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Go-Autoworks street vs. tuner kit

No. the tuner kit is more expensive because they are using a tubular manifold that is made by hand as opposed to the cast. The material is of a better grade in the tubular, and is able to hold both 4 bolt and 5 bolt turbine housing, unlike the cast which is made more for the 5 bolt turbine housing, limiting your turbo options.. It is also able to be repaired more quickly than the cast. The tubular log IMHO is much more robust than the cast for longevity.

So you're looking at the wrong things here. Wastegate location on both is just fine, and the 90 degree elbow does not cause any boost spikes or creep.

Tuner Kit all the way, baby..

Last edited by TheShodan; 12-12-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Case closed. The tuner kit has been chosen.

My first thread made five minutes after I finally registered is promptly answered by none other than TheShodan.

My day has been made.
My pants have been ruined.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by capsule-c
Case closed. The tuner kit has been chosen.

My first thread made five minutes after I finally registered is promptly answered by none other than TheShodan.

My day has been made.

My pants have been ruined.
That is pretty legit, huh?

I actually was in the same boat as you.. I called Greg at Go-Autoworks and ordered the Tuner kit a couple weeks ago. It should be here in a few more weeks.

I really like those guy's over there.. have taken care of me thus far.

I'm just anxious and kind of nervous all at the same time because I'm boosting my 97 spec B18C-R.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg is an awesome guy! Easy to work with and stands behind his product. The fitment is perfect as well.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Waste gate placement is horrible.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ordered the street kit today, After thinking over it for a few days, street kit was good with my power goal.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hopefully the wastegate doesnt fall off or runners crack 3 times like me buddys did at the track. My buddy bought a kit from go-auto and had nothing but problems with the ramhorn manifold. They did warrant the repair, which then the manifold was sold and replaced wth a topmount full race. The owner of the new go-auto ramhorn has recently had weld repairs done again.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by quick_ls
hopefully the wastegate doesnt fall off or runners crack 3 times like me buddys did at the track. My buddy bought a kit from go-auto and had nothing but problems with the ramhorn manifold. They did warrant the repair, which then the manifold was sold and replaced wth a topmount full race. The owner of the new go-auto ramhorn has recently had weld repairs done again.
None of my go-auto parts have had an issue. Over 10k miles on manifold, DP, IC piping. I have the tuner style tubular log and a recirculated wastegate.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

actually i have local guys who have run both kit on similar setups.

if your goal is under 370ish whp i'd get the street kit.
if your goal is 420ish whp i'd get the tuner kit

this is based just what i've seen in terms of manifold restriction limits.
On both case (gsr turbo) we stopped turning up the boost when we saw that that psi per whp gains began to loose ground.

If you want over 450whp get S-Race ... but anything over 500whp will greatly benefit from going with the ramhorn style manifold with the pro kit.

that's just all IMHO... ask greg... he'll help you out with any of your questions.
Charlie
Old 12-15-2012, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Knock on wood my go-autoworks tubular manifold has held up like a champ. The flange that goes up against the cylinder head did warp a little but I think that was because I had some nuts back out on initial install and it had no pressure to hold its shape. I had it straightened out at a local machine shop and used lock washers this time and never had an issue since.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbociv910
Waste gate placement is horrible.
What's wrong with the wastegate placement?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:00 PM

Nothing. They are fine.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I beg to differ on the waste gate location being fine. Creep with a 90 degree bend is very possible where waste gate size should be looked at more closely. There's a reason why my Full Race AC ramhorn manifold has a 44mm gate rather than the standard 38mm.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:49 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Creep depends largely on a few things

Manifold design, gross exhaust flow, turbine wheel size, turbine wheel housing size, wastegate diameter, pressure level... and that is the overly simplistic version
Old 12-22-2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
I beg to differ on the waste gate location being fine. Creep with a 90 degree bend is very possible where waste gate size should be looked at more closely. There's a reason why my Full Race AC ramhorn manifold has a 44mm gate rather than the standard 38mm.
I've used those same 90 degree elbows for years on tubular log and cast log manifolds, with a variety of turbochargers. It all depends upon the factors that were stated above ^^ in addition to what boost control was given. Now, some are not as optimal as others, but in this particular case, he's more than fine.

Example - A setup I had circa 2002 using Revhard's Iron tubular log

20 events, using an older TiAL 40mm Gate (about the same aperture as the 38mm MVS, using at first a GT3540S at 12psi, then an HKS GT30R at 19psi. No creep, spike or issues at about 15 HPDE events in the east coast.

Example 2 -Californiadad's Spoolin Performance tubular log manifold -(C'mon, you know I had to)

At 15, 20, and 24 psi of boost pressure, using IIRC a TiAL 2 bolt 38mm wastegate on a surfer. No creep, no spike, no issues.

There are several other currently running examples of that design being used on running cars right now in several threads.. No issues. I'm not saying that wastegate elbow placement isn't important, especially for Top mount manifolds and Kooks manifolds running a LOT of power over 600-650whp. But more importantly, creating a properly planned manifold/turbocharger/gate combination accordingly without having to resort to bleeding off more pressure is what determines how well these types of manifolds will generally perform..

I'm hoping Tony the Tiger will give some additional insights as well.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

greg is great to deal with. just got my top mount kit from him a few weeks ago
Old 12-28-2012, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
No. the tuner kit is more expensive because they are using a tubular manifold that is made by hand as opposed to the cast. The material is of a better grade in the tubular, and is able to hold both 4 bolt and 5 bolt turbine housing, unlike the cast which is made more for the 5 bolt turbine housing, limiting your turbo options.. It is also able to be repaired more quickly than the cast. The tubular log IMHO is much more robust than the cast for longevity.

So you're looking at the wrong things here. Wastegate location on both is just fine, and the 90 degree elbow does not cause any boost spikes or creep.

Tuner Kit all the way, baby..
Great synopsis, thanks for delivering info.

Our cast manifolds are grea IMO. We've compiled plenty of info and feedback to make sure they are a worry free, trouble free item. We've also opened up turbo availibilty for them and are working on a 2nd SS cast manifold design. The cast manifolds are backed by a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.

Sidenote...a look into the mold

Originally Posted by Jimmy
That is pretty legit, huh?

I actually was in the same boat as you.. I called Greg at Go-Autoworks and ordered the Tuner kit a couple weeks ago. It should be here in a few more weeks.

I really like those guy's over there.. have taken care of me thus far.

I'm just anxious and kind of nervous all at the same time because I'm boosting my 97 spec B18C-R.
Thanks, we should be getting a batch of TUner kits wrapped up within the next few weeks. I know yours is in there.

Originally Posted by 4cylfiend
Greg is an awesome guy! Easy to work with and stands behind his product. The fitment is perfect as well.
Thanks

Originally Posted by mafia
I ordered the street kit today, After thinking over it for a few days, street kit was good with my power goal.
Thank you for the order.

There are several things that can contribute to a manifold cracking...but the most important thing is that we were there then and are here now to take care of a customer issue.

Originally Posted by Bix VT
None of my go-auto parts have had an issue. Over 10k miles on manifold, DP, IC piping. I have the tuner style tubular log and a recirculated wastegate.
Thanks and glad you are enjoying your purchase.

Originally Posted by Charlie Moua
actually i have local guys who have run both kit on similar setups.

if your goal is under 370ish whp i'd get the street kit.
if your goal is 420ish whp i'd get the tuner kit

this is based just what i've seen in terms of manifold restriction limits.
On both case (gsr turbo) we stopped turning up the boost when we saw that that psi per whp gains began to loose ground.

If you want over 450whp get S-Race ... but anything over 500whp will greatly benefit from going with the ramhorn style manifold with the pro kit.

that's just all IMHO... ask greg... he'll help you out with any of your questions.
Charlie
Thanks
Originally Posted by MalcolmV8
Knock on wood my go-autoworks tubular manifold has held up like a champ.
No need to knock on wood. A warranty issue is bound to come up at some point somewhere when moving a high volume (thats just reality). There isnt a co out there moving multiple units that can honestly say "we've NEVER had to warranty an item". Enjoy the product.

Originally Posted by TGonie
greg is great to deal with. just got my top mount kit from him a few weeks ago
Thank you sir

If you ever have any specific questions, feel free to just call or email, I or someone else here will help you.