Notices

Go-autoworks downpipe finally showed up

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Go-autoworks downpipe finally showed up

I'm pleased with the welds and quality. Two things I'm unsure of though...

1: I figured the crossover towards the passenger's side would be longer. Looks like the downpipe puts the exhaust through the oil pan this way. But looking at other downpipes like this it looks correct.

2: The dump tube. I've heard it has to be xxx many feet long to work correctly. But I've also heard this isn't true.

Anyways here it is

Old 05-06-2011, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Go-autoworks downpipe finally showed up

What manifold does it fit?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why don't you just stick it on and find out. I'm sure its fine, Greg isn't stupid. A open scream will always be better power wise than a closed.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HickamHatch
What manifold does it fit?
Inline Pro T3 A/C

Originally Posted by rich7777
Why don't you just stick it on and find out. I'm sure its fine, Greg isn't stupid. A open scream will always be better power wise than a closed.
I'm not at the point to put things on now. That is about a month or two or three away
Old 05-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I see... You'll have to wait and see then. I'm sure it will be fine though and if it isnt he'll sort it out for you. I'm waiting on a load of stuff off him and a turbo of The Shodan at the moment. I should have it in a couple of days. I can't wait !
Old 05-06-2011, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

His prices cannot be beat, that is for sure!!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From my experience, the further back you can route the dump tube into the down pipe the better. Optimally you would want the dump tube to re-enter the exhaust at least 18" back and try to blend the dump tube into the exhaust at an angle of 45 degrees or less to minimize exhaust flow turbulence. Obviously you want the dump tube to flow as close to the same direction as the exhaust as possible. With that being said, depending on your setup, it looks like the dump tube could have been routed in further back to optimize exhaust flow. I can't see the angle that it's routed in from the picture. However, I'm not an expert fabricator so take it for what it's worth.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NA_B_FTW
From my experience, the further back you can route the dump tube into the down pipe the better. Optimally you would want the dump tube to re-enter the exhaust at least 18" back and try to blend the dump tube into the exhaust at an angle of 45 degrees or less to minimize exhaust flow turbulence. Obviously you want the dump tube to flow as close to the same direction as the exhaust as possible. With that being said, depending on your setup, it looks like the dump tube could have been routed in further back to optimize exhaust flow. I can't see the angle that it's routed in from the picture. However, I'm not an expert fabricator so take it for what it's worth.
Its kinda just 90*ed in. If I had a complaint about the downpipe that would be it.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it 90*ed in at the portion that is going straight down or more towards the bottom at the crossover towards passenger side? The latter wouldn't be all that bad, but if it's 90*ed in on the straight down portion of the down pipe that close to the turbo I imagine it's going to cause some serious turbulence.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you bolt it to the motor and test fit?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it 90*ed in at the portion that is going straight down or more towards the bottom at the crossover towards passenger side? The latter wouldn't be all that bad, but if it's 90*ed in on the straight down portion of the down pipe that close to the turbo I imagine it's going to cause some serious turbulence.
I can't follow what you are trying to say here. You can see in the picture where it T's into the downpipe. I can tell its not optimal.

Originally Posted by HickamHatch
Can you bolt it to the motor and test fit?
How can I bolt the downpipe to the motor?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have tried to angle the dump better, comming in at a 90 like that may cause some issues.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Let me ask you guys something. If the dumptube was placed at the same point in the downpipe, only at a 45*...would everything be A-OK? I'm thinking about calling Greg and asking him if he would be willing to fix this.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a-ok? no, but it would be better. im surprised a fabricator would just T in a dumptube like that, that sounds like the worst idea from an engineering perspective. if he was going to t it in it might as well have been at the 90 degree bend. i would ask for that to be fixed personally
Old 05-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have you even tried to fit it up yet?

you wont have any problems the way it is now as long as it fits.

im surprised you would complain about a "less than perfect" dump tube design, but elect for an internal dump to begin with. it just doesnt make sense

"i want something that isnt performance orientated but i want it to be designed the most perfect way possible, all the while not making that clear to the person im asking to do this for me"
Old 05-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hm.. I can't offer you much except a pic of my old downpipe (with 90* in) and my new downpipe (with nice smooth merge)--and a few observations.

Old

New

I didn't have a probem making over 500whp with the first one. I haven't dynoed the new one yet, but I noticed no power loss seat of the pants (4th gear still loses traction from a roll lol). The one thing I noticed was a big sound difference. The new one sounds "smoother" lol. Not as "pulsey" when the wastegate opens.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It doesn't hurt to ask. It still won't be "ideal" placement but it will be a lot better than it is now. Coming in at 45* will help decrease turbulence quite a bit and won't restrict your power as much.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

************UPDATE************

I spoke with Greg and explained to him that I was concerned with the way the dumptube routed into the downpipe at a T or aka 90*. There was silence on his side and I made it more clear by explaining that I felt it was going to cause turbulence and like said on here by someone that it could limit the power I make. He then said that he makes all his downpipes like that and has never had a problem. He also said since it was after the turbo it wouldn't matter and its not like it would cause backflow. I asked if he could route it into my downpipe at a 45*. He said it would be easier to make a new downpipe. So I asked if it was going to cost me the same price as this downpipe and he said yes. So I said ill deal with that I have and hope for the best and then complemented him on the rest of the downpipe.

All in all I'm disappointed.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to hear that..

I understand that he's "never had a problem" with the design in that it wouldn't cause any major problems, but the design will restrict power. It's not going to limit your power to xxx whp, but it's not an efficient design. With it being 90*ed in so close to the turbo it will cause turbulence and restrict exhaust flow. With all other factors equal, the same down pipe with a better rerouted dump tube location (further back on the down pipe and at a 45* or less degree angle) will make more power. Will you still be able to make 400 whp if you want? sure, it will just require more boost.

With that said, once you have the car put together, I would just see if you can have a local exhaust/fab shop fabricate another dump tube and have it plumbed in at less of an angle and closer to the back of the down pipe. If you decide to do this, I would also have them weld in a flex pipe as well so that there's less stress on the dump tube, wastegate, etc.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wonder if this could cause boost creep? Im in to find out...
Old 05-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And just patch the hole where the current dumptube is? This kinda makes me mad that I'm having to do this.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Track Advocate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

send it back. if you're unsatisfied with the design, i wouldn't accept it
Old 05-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that..

I understand that he's "never had a problem" with the design in that it wouldn't cause any major problems, but the design will restrict power. It's not going to limit your power to xxx whp, but it's not an efficient design. With it being 90*ed in so close to the turbo it will cause turbulence and restrict exhaust flow. With all other factors equal, the same down pipe with a better rerouted dump tube location (further back on the down pipe and at a 45* or less degree angle) will make more power. Will you still be able to make 400 whp if you want? sure, it will just require more boost.

With that said, once you have the car put together, I would just see if you can have a local exhaust/fab shop fabricate another dump tube and have it plumbed in at less of an angle and closer to the back of the down pipe. If you decide to do this, I would also have them weld in a flex pipe as well so that there's less stress on the dump tube, wastegate, etc.
Not trying to be a dick but how do you know that it will restrict any power at all. Besides theory do you have any real world proof? Your making the OP nervous about something that in the real world will probably make no difference at all. The type of air filter would probably make more of a difference than this.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow! That wouldnt cause any turbelance, has it happened to you? Probly not you just assuming that it will.YOur making a shop loose time and money because something you think might happen. I have seen this done a 1000 time and never seen a problem with it.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OP you act like your motor is gonna blow up because you feel the dump is to short an angled wrong lol just slap it on and be happy looks alot better then 95% of the crap thats floating out there.

Quick Reply: Go-autoworks downpipe finally showed up