Notices

GhettoDyne vs Hondata vs Uberchip

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GhettoDyne vs Hondata vs Uberchip

Good evenening guy'. How you all is doen good?

so whats the deal with ghettodyne? Seems like a pretty damn nice free peice of software to me man? V2.2.1 now supports boost and has a base boost map already.

I mean its esentially the same as the Uberchip or hondata...............isen't it?
Old 05-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GhettoDyne vs Hondata vs Uberchip (Hybrid)

What in God's green earth are you talking about?

Whats a Ghettodyne?

Rob
Old 05-22-2003, 05:37 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: GhettoDyne vs Hondata vs Uberchip (rjardy)

http://www.ghettodyne.com/
Old 05-22-2003, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GhettoDyne vs Hondata vs Uberchip (Hybrid)

While the Ghettodyno and Uber Chip are essetially the "same" as Hondata, they lack the refinement and development that went into creating the entire Hondata package. The UberChip and Ghettodyne do not have the datalogging capabilites as the Hondata, they also do not interface wideband o2 readings and ghost trace them into the fuel maps. Since they both lack that capability the partial throttle tuning will never be to the level of what the Hondata can support. The price on both are very attractive, but if you are tuning either of them you better have a decent amount of time on your hands to tackle your partial throttle maps. I tune and use Hondata systems, if I had found a better system I would endorse it by now. If anything the Ghettodyne would be my choice since the system is free, and UberTeg's attitude at times was not the greatest.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GhettoDyne vs Hondata vs Uberchip (boosted hybrid)

So the ghettodyne and uber chip are pretty much the same, except for one has support...
looks allright, I may evan give it a shot.

Rob
Old 05-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">While the Ghettodyno and Uber Chip are essetially the "same" as Hondata, they lack the refinement and development that went into creating the entire Hondata package. The UberChip and Ghettodyne do not have the datalogging capabilites</TD></TR></TABLE>

Care to acquaint yourself with the subject matter and print a retraction on that?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since they both lack that capability the partial throttle tuning will never be to the level of what the Hondata can support. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hrm, I haven't played with any Hondata since v2.5, but I don't remember any dedicated part throttle maps. Can you explain in greater detail for me?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I tune and use Hondata systems, if I had found a better system I would endorse it by now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yet you've never tried Ghettodyne or Uberchips tuner.

Ghettodyne is freeware for OBD0. Uberchips is for OBD1 and people who can choke down his attitude enough to pay two bills. That's the difference. Hondata is something else entirely, I'll agree with that.

Both Ghettodyne and (very loosely) Uberchips are based on open source PGMFI information. PGMFI has covered more ground that Hondata or Zdyne combined in far less time. PGMFI has developed (mainly thanks to "Doc") a few bits of technical finesse that outstrip Hondata or Zdyne in many regards. PGMFI will assimilate you, resistance is futile.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GhettoDyne vs Hondata vs Uberchip (J. Davis)

Sure I will. The Hondata's layout, look and overall effectiveness is what i prefer. I looked at the screen shots from only the Uberteg, and have read the Ghettodyne information. I was simply saying that they have a better Windows based interface than either of the other two programs, to me as a tuner is more user friendly. I am in no way challenging you with any computer programming/related subject matter. I will admit when I am out of my territory of knowledge, and happens to be it. I understand the fundamental differences between each systems, and why hondata implemented the blue box idea. Beyond that its binary language and silicone devices that are over my head.

As far as dedicated partial throttle maps, I am speaking of the low-mid vacuum section of the map in Hondata. The quote was a bit out of context, or maybe my point wasnt explained well. I was trying to say that you can interface wideband o2 readings into Hondata to show the % lambda difference between your target lambda and actual lambda. For tuners this makes our lives 100X's easier to tune the partial throttle. Wot/Boosted maps its not very hard to pinpoint rpm/boost to create a solid fuel map. The last time I read of Uberteg's software he didnt have anything of this nature. I know that he did have datalogging, but he did not have the extent and user interface that Hondata has created. I believe this is another very valid and useful aspect of the Hondata to me while tuning. Your correct that I havent used either the Uberchip or Ghettodyne system, but I have read enough about them for form a educated opinion. I deal with strickly obd-1 and obd-2 systems, so the Ghettodyne is out for my tuning. Uberteg burned alot of bridges on here, as well as make very uneducated comments at times to other members. I respect his work in creating the program, but I will not endorse it. Perhaps if he started on a better foot, and learns better business practices others would endorse his products including me.

I am actually looking into getting a 91 CRX very soon for an all motor project, so most likely I'll give the ghettodyne a shot. The appeal of a "free" system is always a plus.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GhettoDyne vs Hondata vs Uberchip (J. Davis)

Hehe Agent Davis must be absorbing some of Uberteg's attitude via osmosis!

People call ME a smartass, but he summed it up pretty well.

GhettoDyne - freeware OBD0 ROM editor
Uberchip - cost effective alternative to Hondata for OBD1 for those that can stand not having a dedicated support staff (if even Hondata has that)
Hondata- the poor man's OBD1 "stand alone"
MOTEC - for the people that bitch about problems with lower cost systems. If you're gonna bitch, go drop a few grand on something like the MOTEC and then sure them if they don't give you the proper support.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:52 AM

Default Re: GhettoDyne vs Hondata vs Uberchip (PseudoSilvia)

you get what you pay for.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So ghettodyne only works for the non-obd, non-vtec ecu's. That still makes zdyne and hondata the only one compatible with the pw0/pr3, correct. Unless of course the uberteg chip does. I bought hondata 2b for my pw0, hopefully I'll be happy.

Jeff, have you never tuned an obd0 hondata before? Will I be the first? Hopefully it's not much different.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GhettoDyne vs Hondata vs Uberchip (ricodemus)

How exactly does one go about tuning their Uberchips? Does he supply you with a method to tune?
Old 05-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GhettoDyne vs Hondata vs Uberchip (VTC_CiViC)

boosted hybrid: Despite how it seems sometimes, I have more respect for you than most of the posters on this board (and I do have a lot of respect for a good number of people here, I just come off wierd in plain text). You have a vast knowledge of hands-on tuning that I totally lack. If I ask you the hard questions, I'm trying to get your best, most fully detailed opinion on something... and I want you to have all the cards in your hand so I get the good info and your opinion and reasons. I have worlds of respect for you, I just like you on the defensive so i can learn from you. I'm wierd like that.

Having played a bit with Hondata 2.5, I can tell you I prefer Uberteg's interface a bit more. Not that there is anything defective with Hondata's interface... it is very intuitive and easy to use also. Large scale tweaks and manipulations of highlighted data can be performed with a right-click pop up menu that I find very handy the few times I have used it. Hondata is, of course, the more complete product.

Ghettodyne already supports datalogging via ECU Control (http://www.ecucontrol.com). I'm #1 fan of Ghettodyne, I use it a lot. I like seeing fuel in millisecond pulsewidths. I'd like the ability to see fuel represented as junk numbers like Hondata/Uberteg's ERM tuner as those numbers are linear, unlike pulsewidth in ms. I'd also rather Mike switched over to mBar absolute... but these are my personal preferrences because they are units I like dealing in, and not a reflection on what Mike/xtensive has accomplished with Ghettodyne.

Tweaking an Uberchip for datalogging isn't hard if you've fiddled a few ECUs on the hobby level like I have - it's built on the stock code which already includes datalogging routines. You just have to knock the baud rate down to something your computer's serial port likes, and also a baud rate that doesn't make the .bin unstable. 9600 baud seems to be the ticket. I'll probably do so soon... the only problem is that ECU Control's OBD1 datalogging app is glitchy right now from what it's author says... he needs to be able to remote debug an internet connected XP machine hooked to a running OBD1 ECU. He hasn't run across anyone yet that can help him get it beaten into shape.

Old 05-23-2003, 11:43 AM

Default Re: GhettoDyne vs Hondata vs Uberchip (ricodemus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ricodemus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So ghettodyne only works for the non-obd, non-vtec ecu's. That still makes zdyne and hondata the only one compatible with the pw0/pr3, correct. Unless of course the uberteg chip does. I bought hondata 2b for my pw0, hopefully I'll be happy.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually I think you can only chip a few ecus w/ ghettodyne. the pm6 is the main one I know for SURE. I think you can also chip the pr4. But you can probably chip these ECUs with pw0 bins if thats what you're talking about.