Notices

Ghetto Dual stage boost controller idea for broke jokes of folks

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ghetto Dual stage boost controller idea for broke jokes of folks

Okay, so I drive a turbo civic and I'm broke (weird )

Anyway my boost controller broke the other day, and I have like $200 to my name.

I will be heading to the track for the first time hopefully in 2 weeks, and Id like a boost controller I can actually depend on and adjust properly. Not only that, I'd like a dualstage boost controller.

dual stage boost controllers are almost $200 and I dont want to be officially broke, just in case somethign comes up.

So i started thinking about possible mechanisms for dual stage boost controllers and came up with this, I'm not too electronics savvy so if you dont like my drawing, im sorry its the best I could do.

Is there anything I could use as a "relay switch dealie"?

This way I could leave the line at like 6-7psi and switch to 17psi in second.

Lemme know

-Boltz

Old 03-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ghetto Dual stage boost controller idea for broke jokes of folks (Boltz)

Wait Wait..... Im already thinking of improving that.....

Instead of having two outlet lines and one inlet, two inlets and one outlet of of the relay switch, just so boost isnt creeping back to the side of solenoid/relay switch
Old 03-25-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Ghetto Dual stage boost controller idea for broke jokes of folks (Boltz)

What kind of a relay are you trying to use there? I don't think I've ever seen a "relay" in the true sense that allows boost to go through it. Electromechanical are the only type I've ever seen and they only allow voltage/current to flow through.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ghetto Dual stage boost controller idea for broke jokes of folks (b16sellout)

Did you read that thread about the boost controller that BBKA was going to make?

Some kind of homemade boost controller that allows you to switch boost levels in the middle of a run...

BBKA was talking about hooking it to his horn so when he had the horn button held down it would only boost to a low level, then when you let off the horn it switched to high boost... that way you could hold it for first and second and let go for third and fourth...

I'll see if I can find the thread...
Old 03-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ghetto Dual stage boost controller idea for broke jokes of folks (b16sellout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16sellout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What kind of a relay are you trying to use there? I don't think I've ever seen a "relay" in the true sense that allows boost to go through it. Electromechanical are the only type I've ever seen and they only allow voltage/current to flow through.</TD></TR></TABLE>

See I have no idea at all, like I said before Im not the master of electronics. Relays are something relatively new to me. The whole purpose of this thread is to find out if there is such a switch available.

Ive never seen such a relay either. Thats why I added the word "dealie" multiple times
Old 03-25-2005, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ghetto Dual stage boost controller idea for broke jokes of folks (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you read that thread about the boost controller that BBKA was going to make?

Some kind of homemade boost controller that allows you to switch boost levels in the middle of a run...

BBKA was talking about hooking it to his horn so when he had the horn button held down it would only boost to a low level, then when you let off the horn it switched to high boost... that way you could hold it for first and second and let go for third and fourth...

I'll see if I can find the thread...</TD></TR></TABLE>

No I didnt read that.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:43 AM

I just had an epiphany and realized what you're looking for, they're called solenoids. They open a valve when electric is supplied to it, it wouldn't be too difficult to hook this up with some switches and stuff. But, may present a problem for you if you have limited knowledge with electricity/electronics.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I found a thread...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1130513

Crap, I searched but can't find the one I was referring to... I'll keep looking...

Old 03-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ghetto Dual stage boost controller idea for broke jokes of folks (EJ1 wilcox)

Found the info I was talking about ...
https://honda-tech.com/zero...67201

Here's the thread where the guy made one and how he made it...

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/f...138.0

I'd like to make one too
Old 03-25-2005, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a GM boost control solenoid (~$12), then build a simple circuit with a variable duty oscillator. You could use an audio potentiometer so that you can change the duty of the solenoid (and thus the boost correction) by turning the pot. Or just run an MBC into the cockpit.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ghetto Dual stage boost controller idea for broke jokes of folks (beepy)

go to work.. make some money.. and buy one
Old 03-26-2005, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ghetto Dual stage boost controller idea for broke jokes of folks (xtremeness101)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xtremeness101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go to work.. make some money.. and buy one </TD></TR></TABLE>

Can't work for a little while as I just had major knee surgery last month.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heres your info. This is nothing new. Speed Phreak came up with this concept about 3 years ago...

And heres where to get the solenoid...

For 2 stage boost control:
http://www.grainger.com/Graing...67260
For 3 stage boost control:
http://www.grainger.com/Graing...67346

Modified by Bryson at 12:35 PM 3/26/2005