Notices

Getting a Greddy Turbo Kit In a Few. Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a Greddy Turbo Kit In a Few. Please Read

Well im getting a greddy turbo kit for about 1500 cause i know someone who knows the VP of greddy. Anyways At the moment I have a Integra GSR 1999 with I/H/E. I know i wont need the heads anymore with the intake thats why i bought **** headers. So anyways I was just wondering What i would need to be able to run a 8-9 PSI boost. Also what do i have to do to even put a turbo on my car like new pistons or what? I currently have Shocks Koni Yellow + Ground Control Coil.

Any help would be appreciated. Ive searched to so dont bitch. THanx

Kirk
Old 03-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting a Greddy Turbo Kit In a Few. Please Read (Ultraroms)

You need an intercooler and a good boost controller so you can adjust the boost. You'll be able to run 8-9 PSI with just thats. It'd also be a good idea to buy a boost gauge, EGT gauge, oil pressure gauge, and a wideband O2 to give you a better idea of how your car is running.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:40 PM
New User

what you need is to search and READ more
what your options are ic, bov, gauges, etc...basically you said you are getting a kit, so you don't estinally need anything thing else, but search and you'll find more info
Old 03-24-2004, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Getting a Greddy Turbo Kit In a Few. Please Read (integrx)

k ill search but... do i need pistons or anything? i dont want to blow up my engine. The kit should ocme with it all.

Edit turbo owns All motor sound and Horsepower
Old 03-24-2004, 10:00 PM

Well you can run 8-9psi on your stock motor, no need for internals with that power range. Eventually if you decide to boost more, then you will need to build motor. You are safe for now.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ultraroms &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Ive searched to so dont bitch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry man, but search more
Old 03-25-2004, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Greddy turbo kit will come with your basic bolt on turbo also with injectors. For the turbo to run cooler you should invest in an intercooler. Your boost will be set at seven with this setup alone. You should also invest in a turbo timer as well. That will automatically keep your car on when you stop driving to let the turbo cool down. If you want to run at higher boost like eight or nine you will really need to look into strenghtening the with rods and pistons. Next thing you need to do is buy a boost controller to actually set the boost higher. You should really look into what goes on with buying turbo before you actaully spend money on something you don't know about.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Getting a Greddy Turbo Kit In a Few. Please Read (pinoy16typer)

I installed the GReddy kit on my GSR about 2 weeks ago (Type 31 FMIC, HKS SSQV BOV, GReddy timer, etc..) My kit runs at 8PSI stock (the instruction manual says the wastegate is set for 7.5-8). It's plenty for street driving, you will probably want to stay with it like this for a while until you get the hang of forced induction.

You definitely need to do a bit more research. You will NEED an intercooler and a boost gauge, bare minimums. If you mess something up during the install and the wastegate doesn't open, you will grenade your engine (that's what the boost gauge is for ). Running it without an intercooler is going to give you a big performance hit and could lead to detonation and other engine problems. I'd say go with the 'regular' size (Type 31) front mount intercooler made from GReddy. I installed it and it fits nicely, and keeps it cool. I would also recommend getting a heat wrap kit (like this: http://store.summitracing.com/...=ecat) to help keep underhood temperatures low.

Don't forget you will also need some OEM goodies for the install: Oil pan gasket, exhaust gasket, fluids.. other than that, the kit gives you everything you need to replace if you don't want to turn up the boost

My advice is just to keep looking around, maybe talk to me a bit its a great starter kit, man. The difference between a turbo and just I/H/E is unbelievable have fun
Old 03-26-2004, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Getting a Greddy Turbo Kit In a Few. Please Read (rezo)

good info here. keep it coming. what else should he look to upgrade as far clutch, axles, lsd, etc. i was going to get my greddy kit this summer and i am getting the type 31 fmic as well, with, a boost controller, turbo timer, and gauges. but i was wondering what else i needed to get as far as the clutch and other stuff that i mentioned.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Getting a Greddy Turbo Kit In a Few. Please Read (DarkCyde SI)

clutch should be fine as long as it is in good quality. i was toying with the idea of upgrading the clutch and getting a better flywheel in preparation of turning up the boost, so i did a test to see if i really needed a new clutch or not: i put my foot on the brake and floored it at around 5k rpm to see if the rpms would climb without the road speed going up. took a little practice, but i found that theres hardly any slip (makes the brakes smelly though )

anyways while the kit is still stock, you shouldnt need much else. once you decide to boost higher, you open up a whole slew of problems with engine internals and the driveshaft. but until then, you should be safe

if you are only considering turning it up to 8 or 9, you wont really feel too big of a difference. plus you will be bordering on killing the stock internals, so my advice is to leave it at 7 until you get some engine upgrades, then shoot for like 12-14 if you want (its not gonna be cheap though)
Old 04-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Getting a Greddy Turbo Kit In a Few. Please Read (rezo)

http://boosted-hybrid.com/viewtopic.php?t=28

Here's my setup with a very conservative tune. Will be hitting 300whp very soon