Notices

Garrett T04B T3/T4 shaft question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Garrett T04B T3/T4 shaft question

So I just replaced all the seals and thrust bearing in my turbo b/c it was blowing oil really badly! After replacing everything, I put it back together and it's still blowing oil.

My question is, what is the best way to clean the channel for the shaft piston ring, which is what keeps the oil out of the turbine housing? I don't think I got all the build up cleaned out good enough. The stuff in there was pretty burnt on.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Garrett T04B T3/T4 shaft question

The piston ring does not prevent oil leakage... its simply to prevent exhaust gases from entering the crankcase through the return line.

Best way to.clean the shaft is gently with something softlike a toothbrush. Does the shaft show any signs of damage, heat scoring etc?
You couldve knocked the turbine oil seal when you installed the turbine shaft. You need to insert the shaft until the piston seal hits the housing, slowly turn it to center the.ring then apply gentle pressure with your palm.. it should pop right in. If not you expanded the piston ring too far.

Follow this
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turborebuild.html
Old 07-23-2012, 12:38 PM
EK9

You sure its the turbo and not your engine?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
The piston ring does not prevent oil leakage... its simply to prevent exhaust gases from entering the crankcase through the return line.

Best way to.clean the shaft is gently with something softlike a toothbrush. Does the shaft show any signs of damage, heat scoring etc?
You couldve knocked the turbine oil seal when you installed the turbine shaft. You need to insert the shaft until the piston seal hits the housing, slowly turn it to center the.ring then apply gentle pressure with your palm.. it should pop right in. If not you expanded the piston ring too far.

Follow this
Thanks for the link.

The shaft looked ok but there was some burnt on stuff in the groove where the ring goes.

If that ring doesn't keep oil out, then what does? It's the only thing between the center section and the bearing in the middle.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dc4LsTeG
You sure its the turbo and not your engine?
It's not the motor for a few reasons...

The motor was just rebuilt about 2 miles ago, yes two. lol
The turbo isn't blowing as much oil as it was when I first put it on.
The turbo has about 35k miles on it and for the last 5-7k I didn't have my turbo timer on it and it was blowing a little oil when I would get into it really hard. Then when I put it on the first time right after the engine rebuild, it was smoking like a freight train and I only drove it about 1 mile. After rebuilding the turbo I drove it about 1 mile and it was smoking but about 10 times less than before, plus I see a little oil coming out from between the turbine housing and the downpipe.

Nice thought tho'.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost

Follow this
It seems like I need something like a wire brush to clean the groove but I didn't want to do that until I asked on here.

Maybe I can just pop the shaft out and reinsert it as you're saying b/c I don't remember turning it before popping it into the housing.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:46 PM
EK9

Yea didn't think so just thought I'd ask. I was dumb enough before thinking I blew my turbo so I got a new one and it had the same problem. Ended up being my piston ringlands
Old 07-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dc4LsTeG
Yea didn't think so just thought I'd ask. I was dumb enough before thinking I blew my turbo so I got a new one and it had the same problem. Ended up being my piston ringlands
Oh, that's no good. I spun a rod bearing and scratched up my pistons so I had to get new oversized pistons.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just read some of the link you sent and it says to use a wire brush! I'm gonna do this and hopefully it'll fix the issue!

"Remove the old turbine shaft shaft seal and clean off all carbon around the seal area--this is not easy to do! I used a wire brush on a bench grinder to do this. TAKE CARE NOT TO NICK/DAMAGE THE BEARING SURFACES ON THE SHAFT."