Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Garrett Super t70 Too big for a built b16a2?? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/garrett-super-t70-too-big-built-b16a2-3259841/)

em1s1 09-26-2015 02:50 PM

Garrett Super t70 Too big for a built b16a2??

Alright so here we go, I just picked up a 00 em1 with a built motor for 3k from a buddy of mine who was in a tough spot, the car is 85% put together and the motor has never been fired, Im new to the honda game so bare with me on the question im hoping to get answered. Do i have enough displacement for this turbo to spool efficiently? Or is it going to be a laggy beeotch. Here is a list of the build, i also have no clue if this is a true Garrett Super T70 or if it is an ebay special. My buddy bought it off of ebay but the turbine housing says Garrett :/ Thank you any input is appreciated

Unfortunately i am limited in the picture depart, and havent picked up the car yet from his house.

1.9L DOHC *(bored over from a 1.6)
-Apexi VAFC II V-TEC controller
-Head ported and polished
-Block guard and sleeves
-ARP Head studs
-Weisco Pistons
-JE Connecting Rods
-Eagle light weight aluminum crank
-Ferrea valve spring & Titanium retainers
-Oil catch & filter sandwich plate
-80 mm throttle body
-OBX-R intake manifold
-Brand New water pump
-Greddy Timing belt
-Light weight radiator & fan
-Blue OBX Radiator Hoses
-Greddy Axel back exhaust
-Front mount intercooler
-Walboro 255 LPH Fuel pump
-550 CC Fuel injectors
-Hayame Fuel rail
-Fuel pressure regulator
-Blue OBX high-flow Fuel filter

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...e59bbb43cd.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...4115f1923f.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...c019297151.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...f7c0ea905d.jpg

TheShodan 09-26-2015 03:00 PM

Re: Garrett Super t70 Too big for a built b16a2??

It is an eBay Special. There is no Garrett T70 like that. I believe Godspeed is the precise company that makes that turbo. Even if it is a "T70", with a giant compressor cover and such, you're no larger than about 50lbs/min.
Add that to a crappy exhaust manifold and wastegate, and yeah... you're going to need some REAL help here.
Hope you didn't pay a lot for this car.. You've got your work cut out for you.

Oh.. and WELCOME TO HONDA-TECH!! ;)

em1s1 09-26-2015 03:07 PM

hahahaha thanks man, and oh great Godspeed lol. I paid 3k for the car. Yeah my first thought when i popped the hood was the exhaust manifold needs to go! I was thinking of going with a sheepy built, and forking over the dough for a Precision 6262, Here if a link to my buddys page he made for the car i think it has some potential but the bill of sale probably should have said some assembly required. http://scottscivic.weebly.com/pictutes--bio.html

Geis 09-26-2015 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 50549898)
It is an eBay Special. There is no Garrett T70 like that. I believe Godspeed is the precise company that makes that turbo. Even if it is a "T70", with a giant compressor cover and such, you're no larger than about 50lbs/min.
Add that to a crappy exhaust manifold and wastegate, and yeah... you're going to need some REAL help here.
Hope you didn't pay a lot for this car.. You've got your work cut out for you.

Oh.. and WELCOME TO HONDA-TECH!! ;)

Well, per all the other specs I though 3k was kinda cheap for what he got honestly, maybe that's just me though.

Welcome to honda -tech indeed, this is our friend here TheShodan; he primarily is responsible for anything boost related, namely turbo stuff and you really won't find anyone more knowledgeable/helpful than him.
I would ditch the turbo honestly, come up with power goal and find a new one (after checking out the faqs to answer any of your more generic questions with ease)

Yeah the 6262 will lag just as bad or worse probably lol, you definitely need the power goal before the turbo lol :p

em1s1 09-26-2015 03:21 PM

Thanks man, realistically somewhere around the 400-450whp range is my goal, Im going to spend some time browsing the faq section for sure, like i said this is my first honda. This coming from a guy who has only wrenched on Gm and Nissan vehicles lol. I appreciate the welcome as i know it can generally be a swift kick in the ass lol atleast on zilvia it was hahahaha

wantboost 09-26-2015 03:37 PM

A 6262 is entirely too big for 450hp. It's an 800hp turbo... You can make 450 on a simple T3/T04E turbocharger and have a decent street powerband or something like a gt3071 if the setup allows. However with those huge wheels and skinny shit tires you won't even be able to gain traction at like 275hp, much less 450. You'll need to run a 15 or 16" wheel with a 225 series tire in something sticky plus a decent suspension setup. No eBay bullshit or coil over sleeves on stock shocks.

If you run the setup you have you're going to be plagued by massive boost creep and subpar performance from a bastard turbocharger that will fail soon than later. Also ditch the OBX fuel filter, they aren't known for having quality filter media. Hell I would ditch as much ebay shit as possible. It's all poor copies of copies of real parts.

And Eagle doesn't make an "aluminum" crank. No one makes cranks out of aluminum. Are you sure about the work done to the engine? What about the rest of the chassis? We need to know what is done to the rest of the car.

wantboost 09-26-2015 03:40 PM

And the Greddy exhaust is only like 2.25" in diameter. Way too small for forced induction.

em1s1 09-26-2015 04:08 PM

in all honestly i took a shot in the dark buying this car, pretty much my buddy was hard up for cash and i took it off his hands. As far as motorwork the guy i bought the car from blew up the original motor, and drove up to toronto to buy the current one which was supposedly assembled by a race shop a few years ago, havent had a chance to tear it down and check it's legitimacy. hopefully i dont get screwed on that aspect because i will go back and put my foot in my buddys ass. As far as the rest of the car here is the link to what is done to it. there is 70k on the chassis and its never seen a winter. Pictutes & Bio - 2000 Civic Si

wantboost 09-26-2015 04:13 PM

This car is like an early 2000s throwback lol.

Just make sure the engine work has actually been done and done properly because that list makes me skeptical. JE doesn't make "arms" which I'm assuming means connecting rods and again crankshafts are not built out of aluminum.

At the least you need to pull the pan. That will tell the truth as those aftermarket parts will be immediately obvious.

em1s1 09-26-2015 04:18 PM

hahahaha yeah your not kidding about throw back, it hasnt ran since 2006, its just been sitting in his garage. and yeah the first thing i was going to do was pull the pan when i pick it up because i saw JE arms in the "build list" and immediatly had the same reaction you did lol

wantboost 09-26-2015 04:50 PM

Also there's no engine management so you would have to address that problem before turbocharging it.

98vtec 09-26-2015 07:16 PM

Take all the ricer and eBay garbage off of it and given its got the engine components said to be in it, you have a pretty solid base. Shame it's only a 1.6L though.

This could easily be completely turned around

Geis 09-26-2015 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by 98vtec
Take all the ricer and eBay garbage off of it and given its got the engine components said to be in it, you have a pretty solid base. Shame it's only a 1.6L though.

This could easily be completely turned around

Thought it was stroked n shit to 1.9l?

98vtec 09-26-2015 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Geis (Post 50550193)
Thought it was stroked n shit to 1.9l?

You aren't boring a b16 to a 1.9L. Either he is mistaken or he has a LSvtec

wantboost 09-26-2015 11:30 PM

Yea you can't safely overbore a stock sleeve block that much. Also without knowing the stroke of the crank it's hard to calculate the actual displacement. You would also need custom length rods and depending on other things possibly custom pistons with a revised pin height. I would be worried that the "stroker" kit was pieced together randomly and that the parts weren't properly paired. Typically if you buy a "shelf" stroker kit it will come with a very specific brand of components.

Is there anyway for your friend to get you copies of the receipts for the parts purchases? That will tell the true story.

wantboost 09-26-2015 11:50 PM

The B16 Eagle stroker crank has an 84.7mm stroke. It uses standard length rods which requires custom pistons with a revised pin height. Since the block isn't sleeved it should be an 81mm bore, maybe 81.5mm at most which only yields a 1.75l displacement.

Again I suggest you seriously ask your friend for receipts. If the engine was assembled with stock pin heights pistons you are asking for serious trouble. Again pull the pan at minimum. You might be able to see the part number on the pistons from below on the underside of the dome. If not then it's on top of the dome which means the head has to come off. Doing a compression test would give you an idea of what's going on. Was the engine ever started or driven on? If not was it ever turned over by hand after assembly? I would suggest doing a compression test but if the pistons aren't the correct ones you could severely damage components by turning the engine over.

However assuming your friend didn't build the engine on his own any competent shop should have noticed the pistons sticking that far out of the bore.

The more and more I think about the parts list the more it think you got taken. Granted there's way more than 3k in the car if the engine is what he claims it to be and was built properly with the correct parts but if it wasn't then you need to be prepared for a major time and financial investment. Although if it turns out no engine work was done or it was done improperly then I would go beat my money out of him and give him back the car.

Also if the engine has been sitting since 06 then there's a good chance that some surface corrosion has occurred on parts like the crank, rods, piston pins, camshafts, rocker arms, valve springs, rings (which can get stuck if this happens, cylinder walls, etc. Also there's a very good chance that the assembly lube has probably dried out by now (if any was even used) so the engine might have to come apart anyways so damage doesn't occur on initial startup due to no assembly lube and the time it takes for oil to circulate through the engine and pressurize the system. You could try cranking it to prime it but again if the assembly lube has broken down/degraded then you're just rubbing metal against metal with no lubrication which isn't a good thing.

em1s1 09-27-2015 04:25 AM

thank you wantboost i appreciate the input, him and i are going to be having a serious talk today. and he also claims the block was sleeved. Also im thinking he meant aluminium crankshaft pulley. I will keep you guys posted on whats going on and thank you again it has been really helpful

em1s1 09-27-2015 04:34 AM

also from what i understand the ecu is a p28 that was flashed according to the current parts list

TheShodan 09-27-2015 07:33 AM

That means it's just a base map, it's not flashed to that list.. Not from almost 9 years ago. I would take the whole thing apart

wantboost 09-27-2015 04:05 PM

Ditch that aluminum crank pulley ASAP. They offer no harmonic dampening and are known to quickly kill bearings on forced induction engines quickly. At the very least put a stock pulley back on it or invest in a fluidampr or ATI dampened.

NotARaCist 09-27-2015 04:16 PM

It's not just FI applications that they chew bearings up in. Non-dampened, non-original crank pulleys should only be used on an engine that has been specifically balanced for that crank pulley.

wantboost 09-27-2015 04:19 PM

They can be used on internally balanced engines without issue but Honda B series aren't. For example the high compression Zetec engine in my SVT focus is internally balanced and people run lightweight aluminum crank pulleys without an issue. The stock pulley is non-dampening but heavy as shit.

Schister66 09-28-2015 07:36 AM

Look at all that wire loom and colorful hoses...so 10 years ago :P Reminds me of being back in highschool haha. Its a time machine!

OP: I'd strip this thing down and figure out what you really have. I wouldnt trust a damn thing you were told.

the_unknown 09-28-2015 12:52 PM

Looks like IKEA puked all over it... LOL good luck brah

Dark_Teg 09-29-2015 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by wantboost (Post 50551051)
They can be used on internally balanced engines without issue but Honda B series aren't..

How are B-series not internally balanced? There is no imbalance to the stock dampener or flywheel!