Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   (Garrett specific) Gt35r divided vs twin scroll housings? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/garrett-specific-gt35r-divided-vs-twin-scroll-housings-3321386/)

bigG 06-03-2018 02:24 PM

(Garrett specific) Gt35r divided vs twin scroll housings?

is the divided with the same volute on both sides and the twin scroll with two different size volutes?
i have a t3 .82r divided, .61 v band divided, and a 1.01 divided, so I know they all stay divided through to the turbine wheel.

TheShodan 06-03-2018 02:28 PM

Re: (Garrett specific) Gt35r divided vs twin scroll housings?

Originally Posted by bigG (Post 51650457)
is the divided with the same volute on both sides and the twin scroll with two different size volutes?
i have a t3 .82r divided, .61 v band divided, and a 1.01 divided, so I know they all stay divided through to the turbine wheel.

The divided is one volute only. The divided split only goes down a couple of millimeters. A twin scroll has two "nearly" identical volute sizes. The differences in size for a turbine that large will not change any behaviour

bigG 06-03-2018 02:36 PM

so wouldnt there only be one volute at the exit to the turbine wheel then? all 3 have 2 volutes or am i missing something?

bigG 06-03-2018 02:46 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...bf554ccae8.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...3fdb290f4a.jpg

TheShodan 06-03-2018 02:58 PM

Is the other divided you have va NI-Resist or standard? Site the flanges and the entire photos of each please

bigG 06-03-2018 03:05 PM

top is t3.82 divided and is not NI
the bottom Is NI divided vband in .61
the one i did not take a pic of is also Ni resist vband in but 1.01

TheShodan 06-03-2018 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by bigG (Post 51650481)
top is t3.82 divided and is not NI
the bottom Is NI divided vband in .61
the one i did not take a pic of is also Ni resist vband in but 1.01

Your NI s have two full volutes. Your T3 divided (1st pic) stops at the mid-point. Is one volute

bigG 06-03-2018 03:27 PM

well im lost, cause they look like they stop at the same place

TheShodan 06-03-2018 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by bigG (Post 51650495)
well im lost, cause they look like they stop at the same place

Lemme guess. The T3 .82 divided came from ATP?

bigG 06-04-2018 08:03 AM

no from garrett is what i was told , even labeled by them as .82 divided on the box. it does look like the atp housing so could have just been lied to.
i was more wondering what the difference is between the two since visually the volutes look like the same design.

Balor_Gr 06-04-2018 08:17 AM

Thats actually a good housing if its all the way till the turbine wheel right?
My evo X housing is like this two separate channels all the way to the wheel with no merging at all untill the turbine blades.

bigG 06-04-2018 08:30 AM

thats what i am saying its the same on all 3 housings does not just stop in the port entry. each housing has a turbo so was not deciding which to use, just wanted to figure out the difference.

TheShodan 06-04-2018 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by bigG (Post 51651001)
no from garrett is what i was told , even labeled by them as .82 divided on the box. it does look like the atp housing so could have just been lied to.
i was more wondering what the difference is between the two since visually the volutes look like the same design.

The difference is rather small, but enough.. The ATP version did a better job of actually casting a second volute similar to Garrett's NI-RESIST (because they are so expensive).
Internally, it is different and shorter volute than say the NI-Resist and definitely shorter than the EFR series.

The bigger questions I'm sure you're wanting to know are
1) Whether or not you'll see any significant difference between the effects of the two housings? Answer No.

2) Are you going to see a significant difference in "spool" with a 68mm turbine wheel to begin with? Answer.. Not really, due to its larger size, but its like something like Enzyte or Prozac.... you may have some additional benefits, but that'll be based upon the exhaust manifold design, size of the turbine wheel, boost pressure used, displacement, VE of the engine, etc.... So, don't count on it.

To feel the real effects of "twin scroll" they are based upon much smaller turbine designs.

Here's what you need to make sure on the exhaust manifold:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...68f45aebb7.jpg

I have a full discussion on another page on this forum I think.. It should be linked but can't find it right now.

bigG 06-04-2018 08:52 AM

i knew i would not see a difference on the engine. it was more so visually seeing it in the housing for my curiosity. but i believe i do have a atp housing then which would explains things alot better as i was also trying to figure out why the t3 exhaust vband flange was different than the others.

Balor_Gr 06-04-2018 09:22 AM

If my opinion weights anything, its about the bigger exhaust back pressure that smaller wheels create AND the exhaust cam overlap self cylinder contamination due to
the smaller wheel -a/r combo of the smaller turbo that suffers and gets solved with twin scroll on a small turbo.
Imo its an illusion that it works just with small turbos.
It works when you have enough exhaust gas back pressure that forces exhaust gases to travel to other cylinders fuarking up engine VE. :)
To continue this id say its the only way to have bigger cams for the turbo (like GT3071 + PRO1) and to make it work.
Since we have A TON of wastegated gases (plus maybe even possitive delta pressure) compared to other engines id say MAYBE the big cam / small turbo is the ONLY reason to use it on a honda.
Ill test the most i can when my dam enine is finished.