Notices

Garrett GTX-R turbochargers?

Old 11-18-2009, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Garrett GTX-R turbochargers?

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...ochargers.html

Had someone pass me this link on a local forum and figured I would post up to see if anyone has heard any news or anything on these new updated GT wheels, called the GTX-R wheels now.

The information they are releasing looks very interesting, although for now looks like the initial units for release are limited to the 4294r, 4202r, 4508r. The 42r's will however be something maybe of interest to the big power cars here.

So any thoughts/ discussions happening about these?
Old 11-18-2009, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Garrett GTX-R turbochargers?

yep, new billet wheels, full 11 blade no splitter design, flow big numbers....'should' start popping up around december
Old 11-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The compressor map shown comparing the traditional GT wheel vs the new GTX wheel shows quite an improvment. Cant wait to see some testing once they hit the market.

Thanks for the picture addition. Got to love the high resolution shot of the new full 11 blade wheel design.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone think those will be better than Precision's billet wheels? It seems that Precision is making their billet wheels in a lot more relevant sizes for us. . .
Old 11-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tjabo
Does anyone think those will be better than Precision's billet wheels? It seems that Precision is making their billet wheels in a lot more relevant sizes for us. . .
Hard to say right now. Im interested to see how overall blade design has an effect, and also the full height blades rather than staggered will perform. I think Precisions will flow slightly higher but the Garrett may be capable of higher PR.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:00 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Garrett is finishing development on these and are looking to get best results from getting data from race applications; this means staying with the bigger sizes. I'm quite sure once they see what these applications are about, I'm sure in time, they will look to see if it makes sense to offer it to the general public for use.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did they change the comp cover design too or is this just a wheel upgrade?
Old 11-18-2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by tepid1
Did they change the comp cover design too or is this just a wheel upgrade?
It's just a wheel upgrade. The compressor covers will remain the same. Turbine wheels will also be the same as before.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

They look hot.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bah.... I think Precision will still have the upper hand in this billet wheel design stuff....
Old 11-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

wasnt there a big debate about the billet wheel stuff a while back? was pretty sure garrett was saying billet wheels are pointless but this is interesting
Old 11-18-2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Casey
wasnt there a big debate about the billet wheel stuff a while back? was pretty sure garrett was saying billet wheels are pointless but this is interesting
What Garrett was saying was not that the use of billet wheels were pointless, but that there were not power gains in simply going from Inconel to Billet, all other things being equal. The benefit that was realized was that the Billet wheel was more durable in abusive situations, like those used in buses, semi, and extreme drag racing conditions. New developments in machining technology has simply made it easier to make the most of mass customization manufacturing processes, which means that different and custom sized compressor wheels can be made more quickly in smaller numbers without having to go through the original production methods. This means that now one does not have to wait months for a production run to finish and only create the types and sizes that minimize overhead production costs, and would only need to wait a few weeks to have a batch of wheels made in sizes that may not be the most common.

Garrett has decided that it is easier to first start with larger sizes in small quantities to see if it is worth going through this development on a larger scale with smaller sizes. I'm sure when the full line is released, it will be in sizes that are more comparable to the needs of the aftermarket.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Casey
I thought the billet was pretty much just to speed up production so they can release things quicker, and cheaper on smaller runs on parts.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was under the impression that another advantage of the billet wheel was that some sections of the wheel could be made thinner than with a casting, thus reducing the inertia of the wheel, which in turn assists in having a quicker spool than other wheels of similar flow potential. How's that for a run-on sentence!
Old 11-18-2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tjabo
I was under the impression that another advantage of the billet wheel was that some sections of the wheel could be made thinner than with a casting, thus reducing the inertia of the wheel, which in turn assists in having a quicker spool than other wheels of similar flow potential. How's that for a run-on sentence!
Haha. Interesting concept that one could use as a sales tactic, but no.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Haha. Interesting concept that one could use as a sales tactic, but no.
Well that's a damn shame! I wonder if I can talk someone into giving me a little something for a license on that sales concept? LOL. . .