Garrett Garrett GTX2863R (GTX28R) "Billet" Ball Bearing Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Garrett Garrett GTX2863R (GTX28R) "Billet" Ball Bearing Turbo

I Just saw this.

Sounds like an improvement:
Brand new Garrett GTX2863R Dual Ball Bearing Turbo. This is the new Billet version of the previous Garrett GT2860R model.This Dual Ball Bearing turbo has an Oil & Water Cooled center cartridge. This turbocharger is on track to replaced the older GT2860R model as the most popular mid sized turbo on the market. The original GT2860R paved the way for many performance enthusiasts earning its place as the best all around turbo out there for most peoples needs. The new GTX2863R makes more power, spools faster, and is all around better than the GT2860R.

Anyone use or have more info on this?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Garrett Garrett GTX2863R (GTX28R) "Billet" Ball Bearing Turbo

Go for it. You really should upgrade your rods though.

The GTX line is BAD *** but I am not sure if you need more spool. You will be roasting the tires on the low end and stressing the crap out of your rods but it is going to be a fun as hell street car.

I suggest mickey thompson et street tires. Your going to need them.

The 353 pull was with a gt2860rs in 3rd. 460 pull was with gtx3071r in 4th. Ignore the wavyness, my boost controller hadn't fully learned the curve yet.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I remember right, you're going to be using a very small tire, and very short gearing..

I would think that by the way you are going to have to setup you tune to have traction, you might not take full advantage of the responsiveness of this turbo

that car would kick *** with a 220~whp all motor setup
Old 08-03-2012, 08:47 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by VTEC+Mini
I Just saw this.

Sounds like an improvement:
Brand new Garrett GTX2863R Dual Ball Bearing Turbo. This is the new Billet version of the previous Garrett GT2860R model.This Dual Ball Bearing turbo has an Oil & Water Cooled center cartridge. This turbocharger is on track to replaced the older GT2860R model as the most popular mid sized turbo on the market. The original GT2860R paved the way for many performance enthusiasts earning its place as the best all around turbo out there for most peoples needs. The new GTX2863R makes more power, spools faster, and is all around better than the GT2860R.

Anyone use or have more info on this?
Yep..and it would not have made any difference to what you got for the purpose you're using it for. Otherwise, I'd have suggested it earlier before drop off to Greg. Its an added $400 for that bad boy to what you already have.. not worth the trouble, honestly.

Not rubbing it in, but we really should have spoken about specific needs, budget, power levels, etc. before making your final decision .

You're good. just accept it... you're good with what you got.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, if you already have the potato no need to upgrade.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TKERacer619
Go for it. You really should upgrade your rods though.

The GTX line is BAD *** but I am not sure if you need more spool. You will be roasting the tires on the low end and stressing the crap out of your rods but it is going to be a fun as hell street car.

I suggest mickey thompson et street tires. Your going to need them.

The 353 pull was with a gt2860rs in 3rd. 460 pull was with gtx3071r in 4th. Ignore the wavyness, my boost controller hadn't fully learned the curve yet.
What boost pressure were these dynos?

What's the setup?
Old 08-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dellas
What boost pressure were these dynos?

What's the setup?
I am pretty sure the 353 pull was at 21psi... boost gauge only does 20
460 pull is 14psi with temps in the high 90s. E85

This thread has more on it as well as some terrible thread I made in 2003.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/353bhp-b18c1-gt28rs-turbo-next-3050509/
Old 08-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I'm going to be pretty happy with the GT2860RS but I thought it was interesting they were taking the disco potato to the next level. Maybe disco curly fry potato.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If a disco potato in a featherweight car doesn't put a smile on your face you have problems.

Does the car have a cage?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No...just a single hoop. Putting in a full one wold ruin things.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bringing back a old thread I searched but can't find anyone using this turbo on a stock B18C. Seriously considering buying one of these so I'm looking for results

Thanks
Chris
Old 09-11-2015, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cole D
Bringing back a old thread I searched but can't find anyone using this turbo on a stock B18C. Seriously considering buying one of these so I'm looking for results

Thanks
Chris
What specific characteristic results are you looking for?

The best results you'll find are from the Boersma Racing tune attack civic that uses a B18C1. Check Dynamotorsports for their dynos and videos

I know you want GTX2863R, but there's very LITTLE difference

Last edited by TheShodan; 09-11-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:17 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The one thing that has always bugged me about tier dyno plot is how power doesn't level off. Either the setup wants to keep making power or there's a boost creep issue, however with creep I would expect to see fluctuations in torque as well.

I'm also trying to figure out how that first setup posted made 460 on a GT28 turbine wheel, they tend to be flow limited to 420-430 on honda applications unless they were running a large turbine housing and long runner manifold. Unless the billet wheel is responsible.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by wantboost
The one thing that has always bugged me about tier dyno plot is how power doesn't level off. Either the setup wants to keep making power or there's a boost creep issue, however with creep I would expect to see fluctuations in torque as well.

I'm also trying to figure out how that first setup posted made 460 on a GT28 turbine wheel, they tend to be flow limited to 420-430 on honda applications unless they were running a large turbine housing and long runner manifold. Unless the billet wheel is responsible.
Where are you seeing 460whp, here? (*Edit That was a GTX3071R that made this power.*) But besides that, their new setup uses a manifold similar to an equal length mini, and does quite well.

Most of the time, with boost creep, independent Boost controllers do a better job at controlling that than the laptop setups, I've always told you that. See my link regarding different boost control solenoids and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by TheShodan; 09-11-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:42 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

2nd post in this thread.

I know they are using a divided long runner manifold and twin scroll turbine housing. IIRC this dyno was with the cast manifold which would make sense with the power curve. Every other similar setup GTX2867 dyno I've seen the power tapers off like usual. I think they could turn their setup higher and take better advantage of the power.

Every setup I've seen where power climbs until redline is either suffering from creep, turbo is sized too large (obviously not the case here), or the engine is saying spin me higher.

However for any honda application trying to take full advantage of the 67mm and 71mm GTX compressor wheels I feel that the new GTX29 turbine wheel would be a much better fit for reaching the maximum potential of the compressor wheel.

I have always been very curious as to how Garrett's billet wheels would perform if they adopted extended tip technology with their current aerodynamics.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2nd post in this thread.

I know they are using a divided long runner manifold and twin scroll turbine housing. IIRC this dyno was with the cast manifold which would make sense with the power curve. Every other similar setup GTX2867 dyno I've seen the power tapers off like usual. I think they could turn their setup higher and take better advantage of the power.

Every setup I've seen where power climbs until redline is either suffering from creep, turbo is sized too large (obviously not the case here), or the engine is saying spin me higher.

However for any honda application trying to take full advantage of the 67mm and 71mm GTX compressor wheels I feel that the new GTX29 turbine wheel would be a much better fit for reaching the maximum potential of the compressor wheel.

I have always been very curious as to how Garrett's billet wheels would perform if they adopted extended tip technology with their current aerodynamics.
Extended tip as in vvt?
Old 09-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

What?
Old 09-11-2015, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Geis
Extended tip as in vvt?
No. Heres my STC Interceptor vs Garret GTX3586R

STC Interceptor (60.7mm Inducer 89mm exducer)

GTX3582R
(62.5 Inducer, 82.5mm Exducer)

Old 09-11-2015, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Geis
Extended tip as in vvt?
"Extended Tip" means Extended leading edge of the compressor wheel exducer; the part of the compressor wheel that actually converts the ingested air from the inducer into compressed airflow going towards the intercooler.

That is different from Variable Vein Technology (VVT) or Variable Nozzle Tech (VNT) or even KKK's Variable Turbine Geometry (VTG) that you're thinking of in which Vanes change the actual flow characteristics of the exhaust energy in the exhaust wheel, activated by a separate actuator. Many turbo Porsche and even the Turbo 2.3 RDX platform used this technology that was originally adopted from Formula 1 racing.

Here's a schematic of VGT/VNT use

Old 09-12-2015, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
What specific characteristic results are you looking for?

The best results you'll find are from the Boersma Racing tune attack civic that uses a B18C1. Check Dynamotorsports for their dynos and videos

I know you want GTX2863R, but there's very LITTLE difference
That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks Shodan. I want a car thats fun to drive on the street not looking for a dyno queen or a 500hp lag monster. Been there done that.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
"Extended Tip" means Extended leading edge of the compressor wheel exducer; the part of the compressor wheel that actually converts the ingested air from the inducer into compressed airflow going towards the intercooler.

That is different from Variable Vein Technology (VVT) or Variable Nozzle Tech (VNT) or even KKK's Variable Turbine Geometry (VTG) that you're thinking of in which Vanes change the actual flow characteristics of the exhaust energy in the exhaust wheel, activated by a separate actuator. Many turbo Porsche and even the Turbo 2.3 RDX platform used this technology that was originally adopted from Formula 1 racing.

Here's a schematic of VGT/VNT use

Audi VTG
Well I'm aware of the tech and have a basic understanding of how it works, was unaware of the extended tip however.
Hopefully we'll see it on tuner cars someday :p
Old 09-13-2015, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly, I used to have my own car map with a flat torque curve like that just my manipulating the boost pressure.
With proper boost management through my Aem Ems I had flat torque curve.
But I did not like it for street or race so I went back to an almost flat boost curve.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:01 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Yea. Granted that dyno is from a dedicated time attack car so I could see the slight advantage of never having power taper off but I just want to know why it doesn't unless it's by design by manipulating boost pressure or if it's just from the parts and tuning combination resulting in the engine wanting to continue making power.

I would be interested in seeing the boost pressure plot of that dyno graph.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:52 PM

Yea. Granted that dyno is from a dedicated time attack car so I could see the slight advantage of never having power taper off but I just want to know why it doesn't unless it's by design by manipulating boost pressure or if it's just from the parts and tuning combination resulting in the engine wanting to continue making power.

I would be interested in seeing the boost pressure plot of that dyno graph.
That looks more from boost pressure manipulation from the right boost controller type, but I'd just e-mail Tony about it for further info.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

On the BRZ/FR-S/86 front, many of the kits are running the GTX2867 turbo and make good power. The torque curve holds quite well at low to mid boost levels and up to 7000rpm, but at higher boost levels (>15 psi) the torque does drop off somewhat.

I'd expect it to drop torque after 7000rpm on the Vtec platform

The FA20's are cracking 450whp on this turbo on E85 whilst having a nice flat torque curve from 4000 - 7000 rpm, so it is a powerful package for sure. The new GTX29 range may even be better...

Quick Reply: Garrett Garrett GTX2863R (GTX28R) "Billet" Ball Bearing Turbo