Notices

Garret GT35R no resitrictor causes permanent damage??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garret GT35R no resitrictor causes permanent damage??

So i just got off the phone with blouch about this turbo im looking to purchase. Its a GT35r. has about 50 miles on it says the previous owner. Previous owner says it has "blown oil seals" from not using an oil restrictor , now blouch tells me this is incorrect. blouch tells me that using no oil restrictor will not cause any permanent damage, and the turbo can just be cleaned out of excess oil and used as normal. They also tell me GT35R cannot be rebuilt, and if there is a problem, a whole new cartridge must be purchased. is all this true???

i want to buy this turbo but i dont wanna get screwed into buying this thing if the whole cartridge is junk.... hes asking 800 for the turbo as is " needs oil seals"

help please

Last edited by 90Rexx; 11-16-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Garret GT35R no resitrictor causes permanent damage??

blouch is correct

turbos don't have oil seals...for the millionth time
Old 11-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TiAL
blouch is correct

turbos don't have oil seals...for the millionth time
searched and couldnt find any verified information.... just what joe shmoe says in random threads with no real confirmation its correct.... thanks for the answer.

just really trying to decide if i should take this gamble and buy this turbo... 800 for a gt35r ... he says blown oil seals... but if he didnt use a restrictor then oil leaking through the housings is normal right? he says it only has like 100 miles on it... what are the chances the cartridge is bad and leaking oil vs. him just not using a restrictor and it leaking because of that?

any opinions?
Old 11-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

99% that turbo is probably only good for the housings. Don't waste your money buying something used thats broken. Just doesn't make sense. Specially for that price. Save up a couple of more bucks and buy it new. Been there done that. Don't take the risk.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its like 1400 new.... thats twice the price
Old 11-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No..., twice the price = $1600. But listen to the others advice. DO NOT DO IT. You're going to end up spending $1200 - $1400 anyways after getting all the required stuff to turn it back "useful". Just go ahead and get a new one. You'll thank yourself in the long run, I promise!

-James
Old 11-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by IMPORTant Si
No..., twice the price = $1600. But listen to the others advice. DO NOT DO IT. You're going to end up spending $1200 - $1400 anyways after getting all the required stuff to turn it back "useful". Just go ahead and get a new one. You'll thank yourself in the long run, I promise!

-James

If you don't know what you are getting into, don't buy something broken.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:45 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

It's true what TiAL says, there are oil shaft rings but there are no "seals" in turbochargers. As for purchasing this turbo, you're making a BIG mistake, and would basically be using it as a paper weight or door stop, or to reuse the housings and backplates, but that's if you know what you're doing. The lack of the proper oil restictor on a GT-R series means that there was too much oil splaying in the cartridge. Now, that does mean that the turbo is possibly still workable, in that it can be cleaned, use the right restrictor, and it could possibly work. But that is an optimistic viewpoint if you already OWN the turbocharger; not buying it from someone else. If you're wrong, and the oil destroyed the turbine shaft ring, than you may just as well have given a nigerian e-mail spammer $800 for the buying it from this person.

Honestly, its not worth the hassle, especially when there are alternatives that are similar brand new for $1000 like the GT3540S.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
there are alternatives that are similar brand new for $1000 like the GT3540S.
Sorry for another off topic. . . But, is this turbo essentially the journal bearing equivalent of the GT3582?

Also (back on topic ), regarding restrictors, why don't the ball bearing CHRAs have a small orifice inboard of the feed location? Seems like if Garrett knew that they never wanted an overabundance of oil flow in there because it would ruin the CHRA, they just would have done that as others do?

As far as turbine shaft oil rings go, what ordinarily gets damaged when there is "over-oiling", which results in oil burning? Seems to me as if oil being forced out between the shaft and ring wouldn't be that big of a deal, as there would be no contact between those surfaces then. . . . . No?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well it appears the consensus is to not purchase, so i wont.... thanks for all the advice guys... ill just save up and buy like a 30r new :-\ im not going for 500whp anyways ;-)
Old 11-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tjabo
why don't the ball bearing CHRAs have a small orifice inboard of the feed location? Seems like if Garrett knew that they never wanted an overabundance of oil flow in there because it would ruin the CHRA, they just would have done that as others do?

As far as turbine shaft oil rings go, what ordinarily gets damaged when there is "over-oiling", which results in oil burning? Seems to me as if oil being forced out between the shaft and ring wouldn't be that big of a deal, as there would be no contact between those surfaces then. . . . . No?

Garrett thought that all installs would be handled properly by professionals that would make sure the oil feed met both the minimum and maximum pressures they spec for each particular turbo. Not Joe Schmoe slapping a random -4an feed on a non-turbo engine getting the oil through an unfiltered 3rd party sandwich adapter, never knowing what pressure the turbo's oil is at. If you make a quick search, the majority of "my turbo's blown" threads are from people that fit that exact description. I can't ever recall any of those people checking the oil pressure right at the turbo's inlet. VERY infrequently do you see it from someone who's fabricated (not simply installed) >100 custom turbo kits - someone who know's what to do.

Also, some OEM's restrict the oil pressure before the oil feed line, which would lead to oil starvation on those cars if Garrett installed a Honda-safe restrictor.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:08 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Tjabo
Sorry for another off topic. . . But, is this turbo essentially the journal bearing equivalent of the GT3582?
Yes. that is correct

Also (back on topic ), regarding restrictors, why don't the ball bearing CHRAs have a small orifice inboard of the feed location? Seems like if Garrett knew that they never wanted an overabundance of oil flow in there because it would ruin the CHRA, they just would have done that as others do?

As far as turbine shaft oil rings go, what ordinarily gets damaged when there is "over-oiling", which results in oil burning? Seems to me as if oil being forced out between the shaft and ring wouldn't be that big of a deal, as there would be no contact between those surfaces then. . . . . No?[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by HiProfile
Garrett thought that all installs would be handled properly by professionals that would make sure the oil feed met both the minimum and maximum pressures they spec for each particular turbo. Not Joe Schmoe slapping a random -4an feed on a non-turbo engine getting the oil through an unfiltered 3rd party sandwich adapter, never knowing what pressure the turbo's oil is at. If you make a quick search, the majority of "my turbo's blown" threads are from people that fit that exact description. I can't ever recall any of those people checking the oil pressure right at the turbo's inlet. VERY infrequently do you see it from someone who's fabricated (not simply installed) >100 custom turbo kits - someone who know's what to do.

Also, some OEM's restrict the oil pressure before the oil feed line, which would lead to oil starvation on those cars if Garrett installed a Honda-safe restrictor.
Right. Tjabo, you gotta remember, that all applications including OEM have different oil pressures, filters, and restrictors at different locations.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, I'm such a good boy that I actually have my oil pressure sending unit in a T-block on the feed to my turbo between the -4 feed line and the CHRA! I figured that was the place on the engine where I really cared to know EXACTLY what the oil pressure was. However, once I set it up like that, the guy at precision really wasn't able to tell me what the parameters are that I need to stay within, so I just went by some other things I had seen. . . .

Back on the topic of the oil control system in the CHRA for a moment though, is there lasting damage from having oil force itself between the oil control ring and the turbine shaft? I'm having trouble visualizing how that would cause permanent damage? Oil starvation on the other hand. . . sounds like it could easily wreck stuff!
Old 11-18-2009, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^ same here. wat would be the long term damage?? i would think u could clean out the oil and run the proper restrictor and everything would be fine?