Notices

A gaggle of questions that need some answering.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A gaggle of questions that need some answering.......

Ok first off, it no longer seems that my car is in a class by itself among the imports of my local scene. This weekend I ran into a 4th gen hatch w/ turbo LS and a 5th gen CX hatch w/ GS-R, boltons, 75 shot......These cars didn't dissapear fast anough in my rear-view so now i'm out for blood. I'm currently running@ 9lbs. I'm wanting to bump up to 14lbs. If you have questions on my setup take a look in my bio, it's all there.

Question 1) If I run 14lbs will pump gas be suffiecent, or will I need a can of octane booster per tank. As it is It only takes about $10 to fill my car with the premium stuff, so $3 extra for booster isn't that outrageous.

Question 2) How friendly will 14lbs be to my internals given my current setup, i'm in no hurry to build/rebuild an engine at this point.

Question 3) Should I switch to a large exhuast to realize some power gains, and upgrade my stock, blown-*** suspension I order to compensate for my newly found power......

Question 4) Could I boost more than 14lbs w/o a build-up, if so then how so? Water injection, dead on tuning, etc......

Any and all info welcome, thanx guys

Steven
Old 02-18-2002, 01:39 PM
New User

Default Re: A gaggle of questions that need some answering....... (Speed PHreak)

Stock internals + 14 psi + pump gas sounds like trouble... You'll definitely make some significant gains upgrading that 2.25 exhaust.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A gaggle of questions that need some answering....... (dbman96)

I say 12lbs on the stock motor is good enough....then get some sort of engine management(piggy back or standalone) and tune that bitch to the finest you can get it.

AN exhasut sounds good too....
Old 02-18-2002, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A gaggle of questions that need some answering....... (Speed PHreak)

a 3" exhaust would help spool up time and have some small HP/TQ gains. if you dont have an EMS, you should get one. i think you can do 14lbs with pistons and rods (EMS included) properly TUNED.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A gaggle of questions that need some answering....... (cyan1de)

I"m just gonna post my Bio, so everyone that was to lazy to read it will know what i'm running....

1988 CRX HF
Base weight -- 1816 lbs
14" Mitsubishi mirage rims (light weight)
195/50/14 Kumo's
10.3" Integra front brakes
Stock Suspension
Stock 17mm front sway bar
JDM / ITR style rear tailing arms

1991 B18A1
1995 B18B cams, valve springs, retaineres
Fidanza Cam gears
Skunk2 Intake manifold

ClutchNet Stage 2 clutch kit
1993 USDM YS1 transmission(LS)

Modified DRAG III turbo kit for a 94+ LS integra
Turbonetics T3/T04E .54A/R Stage III wheel
Spearco front mount I/C
Tial 35mm wastegate
HKS Super Sequential BOV
XS manual boost controller
DSM 450cc injectors
Custom oil return line made from hydraulic line
Custom closed loop dupe tube system

Zdyne SECU Gold(standalone engine management system)
MSD 6AL
MSD Blaster Coil
MSD Pro cap
Accel 8.8mm wires
NGK plugs
Autometer Boost, Water temp, Oil pressure, A/F gauges
Greddy turbo timer
Flex-a-lite slim line cooling fan
2.25" Custom exhaust
Focuz Highflow cat

But as of now everyone is agreeing on a bigger exhuast and some tuning. Well i'm running a Zdyne standalone that is handling all tuning aspects fairly well right now......

[Modified by Speed PHreak, 9:35 PM 2/18/2002]
Old 02-18-2002, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright.

1. octane booster sux, you will probably have to run race gas if you aren't going to do a buildup. or mix some toulene with gas to get a desired high level of octane.

2. you can risk blowing your motor if it's not tuned right.

3. get a 3" full exhaust.

4. yes, but again, detonation/blowing your motor. you're still on stock sleeves mind you, pistons and rods, above 14psi (but i wouldnt' go over 18).
Old 02-18-2002, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

14 lbs on a car that weighs about 2000lbs=Woah
Try a bigger intercooler if it is the standard drag size and 3" from the turbo back
Old 02-19-2002, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A gaggle of questions that need some answering.......

(cyan1de): Hmm, thanx for the info dude. You wouldn't happen to know what ratio, or how I should mix in toulene to get about 110 octane would you? I want to run 12 lbs for sure on pump gas, when i'm feeling ballsy turning it in to 14 and running higher octane.

You're right I am on stock internals but i've got a good handle on my tunning. I've a got friend who's shop had a B20 running around on 18lbs without fail for over a year, i'm pretty sure not using a standalone either.....I know it can be done, it just requires superb tuning and some common sence. I've compared and such with a few other Zdyne users, some who have dyno'd their tunes. I know not all engines/setups are the same. But getting a sence of what setting make our(LS) engines preform best is good knowledge to have.

Ugh 3" = expensive

(RH+G): Yeah dude 9'bs in a 2000 lbs car is like Whoa! Already.....Guest i'm just a boost junkie
Old 02-19-2002, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1) Ditch the cat
2) Get a full 3" exhaust system

if that isn't enough then turn the boost up to like 11-12 psi.

Tom
Old 02-19-2002, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A gaggle of questions that need some answering....... (Tomakit)

Eh, it's not really a Cat, "high flow converter", it's pretty much a 2.5" test pipe in the shape a converter.

Again with the 3", should I get 3' exhaust maybe?
Old 02-19-2002, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think jumping from the 2.5 to a full 3" is gonna be worth the HP
or noise increase... make sure you have a straight thru muffler tho.
Just pull the muffler off at the track !

I would not run 12 psi on a stock LS bottom end....even with trick tuning.
14psi on stock internals ? ouch.... Octane booster ain't gonna do crap for you either...race gas would be the way to go.

Want to see a big difference in power, or planning a rebuild?

Check my sig... you might see something interesting. :thumbsup:

Lastly... wanna go fast ? Just pick up some mad skiLLz Y0 !
Old 02-19-2002, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A gaggle of questions that need some answering....... (X2BOARD)

Hmmm, you bring up a valid point. I had considered a shot of juice. With my Zdyne standalone, I can control the nitrous delivery, just like my boost tuning...I'm just kinda wary at what the effects of nitrous plus a decent level of boost would be. I'm be very interested in hearing what you have to say about it.

What would you consider to be a resonable shot of NOS, ZEX, NX, ect., on stay 10~12 lbs of boost? I raced a 92-95 CX hatch with a GS-R swap, bolt-ons and a 75 shot this weekend. It kept up about as good as anything has with me I only led him by like 2 cars at the top of 3rd.....
Old 02-19-2002, 09:56 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) get a FULL 3" downpipe and exhaust.. the whole way back.. more hp/tq and quicker spool

2)you have a good engine management system so u do have tuning on your side

but you are Really going to be pushing the limits of the LS motor.. 11psi is pushing it I think.. With race gas I think you can run 14psi but getting away with it for a long period of time would be determined by luck.. like I said u would be pushing the limits, I think it could be done but you may want to pick up a spare block and start getting it built just in case..
Old 02-19-2002, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A gaggle of questions that need some answering....... (DIRep972)

How many miles on this motor total ?
How many miles since the last tear down (if any) ?
Have the internals ever been touched ?
Short of built internals, I wouldn't recommend nitrous right now.

Turbo + Nitrous + built internals= YUM

Turbo + Nitrous + stock internals=
Old 02-19-2002, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The motor has about 110K miles on it. I pulled the head off and have a valve job and a mild P&P job done at the time about 3000 miles ago. The inernals are stock, aside from the newer model valve-train components......The reason I pulled the head was becasue I wrecked the previous hybrid that this motor was in and unsettled the head. I needed to replace to head gasket. Upon inspection and a compression test i had 185, 185, 160, 150. Now i'm back to 190 across the board. The sleeves still had a mirror finish a looked pristine.....

I'd love to pick up a spare block to build, but dunno if I should.....My car is a weekend worrior. Its tame enough to be a daily driver, but I've got my 91 Si for that....I only I drive it out every other weekend or maybe one night a week. I don't even beat on it. I'm usually out past midnight prowling for some nice street races.....I don't want to blow it up though......

[Modified by Speed PHreak, 8:41 PM 2/19/2002]
Old 02-19-2002, 12:08 PM
Smarter than you

just get the full 3" exhaust, its the gift that keeps on giving!

the exhaust is just gonna make every other thing u do or did to the car work better.. Its just some u need to get your turbo set up to its full efficiency..
Old 02-19-2002, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To hell with it... save your money and just build the bottom end and turn up the boost ! nuff said....
Old 02-19-2002, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well....I WANT TO.....shoot me some ideas. I have a preliminary setup that I wanted a few months back. I just need a cheap short-block to start with. Here was what I was thinking

JE 9:1 pistons
Eagle Rods
Zdyne block girdle
and an block guard.

I'd really rather not sleeve that 2X the cost of the build up, but I will if thats what it takes. Any suggestions welcome guys
Old 02-19-2002, 01:41 PM
Smarter than you

Damnit u not listening to me. Exhaust damnit, youll probably gain like 15hp from a 2.25" set up to a 3" at 9psi.. then if u do get the block built and turn boost up to like 18psi youll gain even more power.. just my .02 its up to u..
Old 02-19-2002, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ha Ha Ha, guess i'm not, i'm hard headed. I'll prolly do with a 3" exhaust. I had planned to from the start. I took it too a local shop to get my DP flanged and to ask about a 3" exhuast. They gave me some flack about needing back pressure....i'm like, duh turbo here you domestic V-8 dumbass......So I kept my 2.25" for the time being.

I just talked some stuff over with a guy and he thought that I would very much benefit from a suspension upgrade. My car wheel hops majorly. And I have a postive camber problem up front for some reason after my big brake swap....