Notices

fully built civic turbo over heating

Old 07-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fully built civic turbo over heating

Hey I'm having trouble with my car with an over heating problem...its a fully built gsr engine sleeved and all and it is turbocharged..for some reason when its idling the temperature needle starts to rise and I have no idea why..I turn the heat on to cool it down and it usually cools down fairly fast...any thoughts? Thanks
Old 07-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: fully built civic turbo over heating

you check teh thermostat or if the fan is turning on and blowing hte right way
Old 07-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any other symptoms?

Problems could range from a mere bubble being in your system to a head gasket being bad. Just gotta know more info.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like air bubble in the system. Drain the coolant and refill the system. With the engine off pour about a third of a gallon of coolant into the radiator (make sure it trickle down into the radiator). Start the car, and turn the heat on to full blast. While the car is idling fill up the radiator. Again, make sure the coolant trickle into the radiator to avoid any bubble forming in the system.

If after this you still have the problem, check your thermostat, radiator itself (might need cleaning if old), etc, etc.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pictures would help, how close does the downpipe sit to radiator ?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo1.6
Sounds like air bubble in the system. Drain the coolant and refill the system. With the engine off pour about a third of a gallon of coolant into the radiator (make sure it trickle down into the radiator). Start the car, and turn the heat on to full blast. While the car is idling fill up the radiator. Again, make sure the coolant trickle into the radiator to avoid any bubble forming in the system.

If after this you still have the problem, check your thermostat, radiator itself (might need cleaning if old), etc, etc.
Or you could just use the bleeder valve....We cant really help you until we know your setup, especially the type of radiator etc
Old 07-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the thermostat is new so I know its not that..fan turns on when its supposed too...I don't have a bleeder valve so it cant Be that..downpipe is onn opposite side..this is a very tricky one..ill post pictures..and the radiator is a single cam radiator but I thought everyone runs those so I don't see how it could be that
Old 07-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pcteck
Well the thermostat is new so I know its not that..fan turns on when its supposed too...I don't have a bleeder valve so it cant Be that..downpipe is onn opposite side..this is a very tricky one..ill post pictures..and the radiator is a single cam radiator but I thought everyone runs those so I don't see how it could be that

Drain and refill the radiator like I've stated earlier. Update us when you're done.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

worp head or bad block im guessing...who did work on the motor? who build the block?
Old 10-05-2010, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by streetdemons
worp head or bad block im guessing...who did work on the motor? who build the block?
Lets not jump the gun here. I never over heat at the track but my car runs hot on the highway, and I put down over 600WHP. It has been stated many time here again and again, YOU CANT DESING A TURBO SYSTEM AND THEN EXPECT THE STOCK COOLING SYSTEM TO HANDLE ALL THE NEW HEAT. You need to build a good cooling system and then build the turbo kit around it. Drain and refill you coolant. Turn the heater on and let the car idle with out the cap in. Try to get all of the air out..Make sure the fan in blowing the propper direction. Heat wrap the down pipe. If none of this helps you might have to bite the bullet and get an aftermarket raidiatior and fan with a shroud. The shroud will make all the differience. Speedfactory and T1 racing make and sell them in differient varities.