Notices

Full-Race manifold = ticked off dipstick/ Any suggestions on replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full-Race manifold = ticked off dipstick/ Any suggestions on replacement?

Here is a pic of my now rusty F/R manifold with a very pissed off dip stick.

Checking oil is near impossible when the manifold is hot. Are there any after market dip sticks that will set higher out of the 'death range'?
Old 12-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Full-Race manifold = ticked off dipstick/ Any suggestions on replacement? (mrlegoman)

i just suck it up and burn my hand every 3 days....cuz thats how often i check my oil
Old 12-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Full-Race manifold = ticked off dipstick/ Any suggestions on replacement? (m R g S r)

You check the oil when its hot?
Old 12-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Full-Race manifold = ticked off dipstick/ Any suggestions on replacement? (turbozxi)

http://goldeneaglemfg.com/style.html

Golden eagle make one, as well as many others..

They are metal, so the handle will be hot, but it won't melt

Old 12-11-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Full-Race manifold = ticked off dipstick/ Any suggestions on replacement? (Blackack26)

Wait the 30 min to make sure all the oil is in the pan, the header will be much cooler and you can touch the dipstick w/ no fear.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Full-Race manifold = ticked off dipstick/ Any suggestions on replacement? (Si Shane)

Well then I cant be impatient.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Full-Race manifold = ticked off dipstick/ Any suggestions on replacement? (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well then I cant be impatient. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yah, but then you don't get a true oil level reading ;p
Old 12-11-2005, 06:10 PM
I want a CRX tattoed on my butt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Full-Race manifold = ticked off dipstick/ Any suggestions on replacement? (splitime)

Wrap your manifold!!

I can grab mine no problem with the wrap

ps- waiting 30 min so the drips of oil can get to the bottom of the pan..... cmon guys... ****** just imagine theres another cup full in there haha seriousy

Old 12-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Full-Race manifold = ticked off dipstick/ Any suggestions on replacement? (mrlegoman)

y is it rusty ??
Old 12-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Full-Race manifold = ticked off dipstick/ Any suggestions on replacement? (B18C1CYA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C1CYA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">y is it rusty ?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe its fake? Full Rust?

JK Don
Old 12-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Full-Race manifold = ticked off dipstick/ Any suggestions on replacement? (splitime)

Stainless steel rusts, i see it first hand all the time. However the stainless i run into is subjected to salt water, water and sunlight. I'm no expert in the type of stainless they use but perhaps since its designed to withstand higher temps it has less stain resistant alloys in it.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Full-Race manifold = ticked off dipstick/ Any suggestions on replacement? (gLok)

I always kept a glove in my car cuz my ramhorn did the same thing. No big deal!
Old 12-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have an oil pressure gauge and you watch it, you shouldnt have to check your dipstick that often. Just a thought.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nonvtecD)

like alot of fellow h-t'ers stated...wait approx. 30mins to get a correct reading of your oil level...it actually makes a big different ...temp waste obviously my friend always tell me there low on oil and keeps adding oil then when it comes to time to change his oil he finds out there way more then enough oil in his engine...
Old 12-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Full-Race manifold = ticked off dipstick/ Any suggestions on replacement? (CanadianMade)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CanadianMade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wrap your manifold!!

I can grab mine no problem with the wrap

ps- waiting 30 min so the drips of oil can get to the bottom of the pan..... cmon guys... ****** just imagine theres another cup full in there haha seriousy</TD></TR></TABLE>I asked that question on the full-race board:
http://wakesports.com/full-rac...c=736
From what I understand, wraps are very very bad.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe its fake? Full Rust?

JK Don </TD></TR></TABLE>Less then two weeks old
For some reason over Thanksgiving I had my car parked at just the right angle on my driveway that somehow when it rained it splattered up into my engine bay (or something), but my whole engine bay was wet and thus starting to rust.....
Old 12-14-2005, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Full-Race manifold = ticked off dipstick/ Any suggestions on replacement? (gLok)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gLok &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stainless steel rusts, i see it first hand all the time. However the stainless i run into is subjected to salt water, water and sunlight. I'm no expert in the type of stainless they use but perhaps since its designed to withstand higher temps it has less stain resistant alloys in it.</TD></TR></TABLE>I've seen a dozen or so F/R maifolds and none of them look like mine. I beleive because it was left cool and wet for almost a week, that has casued my condition.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Little bit of sand paper should do the job
Old 12-14-2005, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not check the check the oil in the morning before you start the car?

Adriano
Old 12-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Full-Race manifold = ticked off dipstick/ Any suggestions on replacement? (Adriano)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Adriano &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not check the check the oil in the morning before you start the car?

Adriano</TD></TR></TABLE>Because I usually like to check my oil between track sessions....
Old 12-14-2005, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrlegoman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because I usually like to check my oil between track sessions....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just wear your gloves, or get a pair of mechanics gloves to check the oil

:duh:
Old 12-15-2005, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Full-Race manifold = ticked off dipstick/ Any suggestions on replacement? (EFbomb)

how'd you guys bend it to make the dip stick easy to put in and take out?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the rust on it is not the manifold rusting, just surface oxidation. You can rub it with scotch bright or fine grit sandpaper to take all the rust off.

if you want a longer dipstick, any of the aftermarket ones are longer, like STR, Golden Eagle, etc
Old 12-15-2005, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just spin the stick around a little to get it out easier when the mani is a little hot still. I did it all the time. Either that or start thinking about ceramic coating

Also wearing gloves helps.

Also take some scotch brite to the manifold. Keeps it nice and clean and particle free.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought all full race mani's were stainless steel. I guess i was wrong.

Quick Reply: Full-Race manifold = ticked off dipstick/ Any suggestions on replacement?