Notices

Fuel requirements for a budget Turbo GSR motor ?

Old 03-21-2002, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel requirements for a budget Turbo GSR motor ?

What would be the limits of a stock fuel system on a turbo B18C1 under boost (eg: Xpsi w/proper tuning..etc..)?
The basic fuel setup would only be FMU, FPR, basically stock everything else. You could assume upgraded ignition is already in place.
The question is intended for a turbo system on a budget with upgrades made on a purchase by purchase basis.
Would dyno tuning be a recommended 1st step ?

and

How highly recommended would the following be for this basic setup:
Upgraded injectors
Upgraded Fuel pump
Upgraded fuel rail
V-Afc
Upgraded anything else ?

Not looking for to the decimal point facts, just general opinion.

Would anyone recommend 8.8 JE piston and Eagle Rod ?? HAHAHAHAHA!
Old 03-21-2002, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fuel requirements for a budget Turbo GSR motor ? (X2BOARD)

I would say first thing first get your fuel to the combustion chamber. The stock injectors stretch the limits at a relatively low boost of 6-7 psi. Figure if your working with a 12:1 FMU your looking at about 110 psi through the injectors at 6 psi. That would make me nervous. I would get larger injectors first. And then since its a vtec motor go with the thicker headgasket.
Stock ignition on hondas are good for up to 400 hp or so. Only thing is if you look at a dyno the curve seems to be a little jagged when running high hp on the stock ignition.
Fuel pumps tend to get less of a problem when you go with large injectors depending upon what kind of build your looking for on the motor. I am gonna use 550's w/hondata, so I only need the Walbro intank 255 non high pressure pump. If your staying with the demand of high fuel pressure (FMU) then go with a big inline like a Bosch unit.
Fuel rail--not necessary until the 300 hp mark. They do look pretty though.
V-AFC would be recommended, but if a standalone is in the future then just save that money spent on the piggyback for the standalone.
I'm sure theres more......
Old 03-21-2002, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel requirements for a budget Turbo GSR motor ? (93LSivic)

The future of the motor will be much higher boost, but a fully engine management system will be put in once enough money is saved. The bottom end is low compression (9:1) so the thicker headgasket is not needed (forgot to mention).

I am really concerned with tuning and fuel delivery/requirements as this is the life blood of the motor. So far, as a fuel system goes, I have reached the safe consensus of about 6psi with an almost stock fuel system (+fmu and fpr) The boost WILL be upped after the fuel system is upgraded, but I am trying to get the most logical plan technically AND financially.

I am considering going with 440 or 550's in the near future (as $ allows)... but have heard of the 92-96 prelude vtec injectors being almost a bolt-in affair (w/ resistor box) and they flow as much as 340 according to posts on H-T.

I can do basic tuning (especially at 6psi... but would dyno tuning aid in protecting the motor thus far at 6-7 psi ?
Old 03-21-2002, 12:21 PM
New User

About the prelude injectors....you could also go with the DSM 450cc injectors. These also require a resistor box but are pretty cheap(~$50).
Old 03-21-2002, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel requirements for a budget Turbo GSR motor ? (TurboTypeR98)

What about the RX-7's that I heard are 550, are they as inexpensive and will the work ?
Old 03-21-2002, 01:43 PM
New User

not sure about those...but there is a lot of info on installing the DSM 450's and others have installed them as well.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:39 PM
New User

Default Re: Fuel requirements for a budget Turbo GSR motor ? (TurboTypeR98)

No honda "Budget" turbo motor lasts very long, IMO.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel requirements for a budget Turbo GSR motor ? (SiR Kid)

No honda "Budget" turbo motor lasts very long, IMO.
There are many honda "Budget" motors that last gobs, maybe you just haven't seen them, because you many not have been around long enough.

But as far as the 'budget' I am referring to... dropping 2 or 3 large on a motor is almost a budget as far as a turbo car goes. I try to only buy quality parts, and IMO, a DSM injector does not sound like bad quality to me... plus RC injectors are just plain over priced !