Notices

Fuel pressure weird w/setup, little boggy then feels like ass. PLEASE help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 02:54 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure weird w/setup, little boggy then feels like ***. PLEASE help

Well recently I purchsed the bbk in tank (walbro I know) 255 lph and threw it in the car..Idle fuel pressure went from 44 psi to 52 psi..Easy to say didn't feel smooth. Just yesterday I installed my aem fpr and turned the pressure to 42 vacuum off goes to about 50. Now the $hit that has me going is that I drove around a little bit got on it all was well, get back into the driveway to see my pressure at idle went to 40 so I adjusted again back to 42 and same happened again back to 40 psi... Now today driving the car feels great at ldle but then it was sluggish in 2nd 3rd and 4th like if it was getting no gas to the engine.. Pop the hood and see it back to 40 YET AGAIN and then it was spiking down to about 32 psi in 5-10 second apart. (not sure if the fp gauge is to blame..B&M). And this happens only after driving for about 40 minutes to an hour of driving this occured. Can it possibly be my blue box or is it my engine is getting to flooded with fuel? My setup is as follows :

greddy kit@7psi smaller of the 2 FMIC's type 31 i believe
BKR7E's gapped at .32
bbk in tank pump
(aem fpr) set to 42 and keeps coming back to 40 for whatever F-in reason
stock wires and ignition
2.5" fabricated downpipe, straight pipe, and 3" custom exhaust
and the best of all THE BLUE BOX/with the 310cc 's

I am at a stop here guys, please help. I want to know before I take my car in for the build up and hondata. Is it possible I am running to high of fuel pressure or is my air/fuel mixture so f-ed up.. Don't know personally. I just have theories but not a certain conclusion.. TIA, and please help!!

[Modified by boost killz, 3:56 PM 1/16/2002]
Old 01-16-2002, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel pressure weird w/setup, little boggy then feels like ***. PLEASE help (boost killz)

Did your fuel pressure sit at a solid spot before the install of the B&M regulator? If so I would think that there is something wrong with the B&M.
Old 01-16-2002, 04:03 PM
New User

Default Re: Fuel pressure weird w/setup, little boggy then feels like ***. PLEASE help (Turboholic)

No no sir... I have the aem fpr and B&M fuel pressure gauge on top of the fuel filter. Before hand I had the stock fpr.. Can anyone else please help on this??!!
Old 01-16-2002, 04:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Fuel pressure weird w/setup, little boggy then feels like ***. PLEASE help (boost killz)

maybe the diaphram in the fpr is bad.....ask AEM.
Old 01-16-2002, 07:27 PM
New User

Default Re: Fuel pressure weird w/setup, little boggy then feels like ***. PLEASE help (00SilverLS)

anyone else??? I know some of you guys have dealt with this at least once..Hell even one of your theories would be good to hear.. sgt?? dbman96?markc? Or I could always post a turbo vs.sc Q. thanks again,

Nick

[Modified by boost killz, 11:28 PM 1/16/2002]
Old 01-16-2002, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have heard random comments about the aem fpr not being all that... but have not actual hard evidence, but if it is operating properly, it shouldn't be dropping off pressure like that.

I do know that the B&M gauge is a POS... for fuel pressure, you should get a liquid filled gauge, they have much more reliable readings.

Diagnosis of this problem is hard....

a) Where do you have the vaccum source tapped for the fpr ?
b) Do you seem to have more power at full throttle or less than full throttle.
c) Are you running advanced timing on the distributor ?
Old 01-16-2002, 07:54 PM
New User

Default Re: Fuel pressure weird w/setup, little boggy then feels like ***. PLEASE help (X2BOARD)

A) Q doesn't make sense to me man.. Normal standard setup...if that is what you are referring too

B) Well at full throttle and 3/4 throttle.. I think the blue box is a big POS thats holding me back.

C)Stock timng..no retard or advancement.

One thing I was reading from the instructios was the orifices that are provided. I am not sure if the one already in place of the aem is for a factory honda pump or if it would require me to change it out for the fact I have a 255lph.....Buuut will that change still be needed with the addition of the hondata setup and buildup I am gonna have done starting this Monday coming up. Thanks X2,

Nick
Old 01-17-2002, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok well, there are the shop #'s.

With the vaccum hose attatched,you should be seing 38-46psi, with the hose removed and the FPR seeing atmopsherice you should see 47-54psi. So it looks to me like 40psi at idle once warmed up is perfectly fine. From what your describing, it doesn't sounds like a vaccum leak because you'd be seeing an increase in psi as vaccum is lost, you're going the other way dropping psi which is strange. If you still have your stock unit, take the time to put it back on the rail and see how she acts. If all is well, you'll know your AEM FPR is bad..

[Modified by VTC_CiViC, 7:04 PM 1/17/2002]