Notices

Fuel Pressure gauge.... regular vacume VS. Liquid filled

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure gauge.... regular vacume VS. Liquid filled

well i'm thinking about picking up a B&M fuel pressure regulator and a gauge that can be mounted in the engine bay. My question is this:

1) advantages or disadvanges of either of them?
2) which last longer?
3) how does each meter draw its source of vacume pressure?

On a side note...... with the B&M fpr, what is the cross point where i should get a Aeromotive instead of the B&M as in WHP application wise.

TIA
Old 09-17-2003, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fuel Pressure gauge.... regular vacume VS. Liquid filled (Charlie Moua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Charlie Moua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i'm thinking about picking up a B&M fuel pressure regulator and a gauge that can be mounted in the engine bay. My question is this:

1) advantages or disadvanges of either of them?
2) which last longer?
3) how does each meter draw its source of vacume pressure?

On a side note...... with the B&M fpr, what is the cross point where i should get a Aeromotive instead of the B&M as in WHP application wise.

TIA</TD></TR></TABLE>

imo . the liquid filled guages are more "steady" and accurate, i would figure that the liquid one would last longer due to the needle not bouncing around so much...

if you are getting a fuel pressure guage it doenst measure vacum, it woul measure fuel presure at the filter(if you are looking at the b&m setup)..... it simply bolts onto the fitting coming out of the fuel filter going toward the fuel rail.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Fuel Pressure gauge.... regular vacume VS. Liquid filled (Charlie Moua)

B&M is only good for turning up pressure. not down. keep that in mind. or just get an AEM or better yet an aeromotive or sx.

b&m gauge is ok. my needle used to bounce alot but after a week it didnt move between more than 1/2 a psi. it's pretty steady now. liquid filled would mean less movement of needle from vibration and prob has the potential to last a lil longer.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Pressure gauge.... regular vacume VS. Liquid filled (2.2Lcivic)

thanks for the info. What i am leaning towards is getting a B&M FPR and a liquid filled gauge.

I know that you can mount the REG gauge on the fuel filter or on the rail but how would you mount the liquid filled one? is it that much harder?
Old 09-17-2003, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

on a budget, the B&M works pretty good. but I'd go with an SX or aeromotive
Old 09-17-2003, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Pressure gauge.... regular vacume VS. Liquid filled (Paul_Vang)

liquid filled (withstand vibration better)
paxton FPR

Old 09-18-2003, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Charlie Moua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know that you can mount the REG gauge on the fuel filter or on the rail but how would you mount the liquid filled one? is it that much harder?</TD></TR></TABLE>

anyone wanna answer that question?
Old 09-18-2003, 03:39 PM
GSRswapandslow

they mount the same way
they are sealed with the liquid inside is all
Old 09-19-2003, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GSRswapandslow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRswapandslow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they mount the same way
they are sealed with the liquid inside is all</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok just so we are on the same page...
1) they mount on the same locations as would a regular gauge would (on top of the fuel filter or on the fuel rail)
2) same installation.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:43 AM

Default Re:

I'd go with the liquid filled (dampened) gauge hands down. The Marshal gauge pictured above can be bought for almost the same price as the B&M (non-dampened) gauge. The liquid filled gauge will make your fuel pressure adjustments easier.
I'm also using the Aeromotive type fpr, which I think is a great regulator. Aside from the more extensive means to mount it and plumb it into the fuel lines. I have used the B&M command flow before and didn't like it all to much. I would suggest the new rail mounted Aeromotive fpr. Very similar to the AEM fpr.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Pressure gauge.... regular vacume VS. Liquid filled (Pengo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pengo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">B&M is only good for turning up pressure. not down. keep that in mind. or just get an AEM or better yet an aeromotive or sx.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, not to jack your thread but I need to lower my fuel pressure after installing a bigger fuel pump on my jrsc setup and I just orered a b&m fpr-is there no way to lower the fuel psi with those? Which fpr's allow you to lower it?
Old 09-19-2003, 12:20 PM

Default Re: (Charlie Moua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Charlie Moua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ok just so we are on the same page...
1) they mount on the same locations as would a regular gauge would (on top of the fuel filter or on the fuel rail)
2) same installation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They are only different because one is liquid filled and the other isn't. The B&M gauge came with a fitting to mount to the top of your fuel filter. If you bought that fitting seperately you could mount either gauge with it.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:33 PM

Default Re: (i2un)

I currently have both gauges on my set-up. Running in conjuction with each other. The needle on the B&M gauge bounces around more (looks like it vibrates +or minus by 1psi; But both the liquid filled gauge and the B&M show pretty much the same reading.

I've always liked using the liquid gauge. Looks better to me. But I've replaced it quite a few times because after a while the liquid would start to seep-out (not sure if it was from engine vibrations or high fuel pressures) and then I couldn't be sure that my readings were correct.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks that some really helpful info guys. got any pix of your gauges..

Also you said you had to replace your liquid filled one.
-how often do you replace it? ... miles
-what psi are you normally at?...... i would imagin that PSI woud affect longativity or the meter ,... or not.
*your runinb both at the same time? if so how are you hooking them up and location where its mounted.

TIA guys
Old 09-23-2003, 10:43 AM

Sorry for the late reply.

-I've replaced my liquid filled gauge about 4 times in 4 years...20k miles each year. I usually inspect it during oil changes to see if the liquid is seeping out and replace as needed.

-I've had fuel pressure as high as 100psi at times.

-I'm not certain if the longevity was affected by engine vibration, high psi or maybe even under hood temps. Could be a combination of all the above.

-When I first bought the liquid gauge years ago, my friend said he had a Brass Earls fitting for it; And stupid me didn't look at the fitting and I let him install it. T-fitting. (He cut the fuel line going from my rail to the fuel filter and placed it between the two. Didn't hurt anything but I would rather have not cut that line).

That's the only reason why I'm running both. I just keep it to plug the hole. Eventually I'll replace that line or buy another fitting to remove the gauge.

-It was interesting to me though to be able to compare the two gauges side by side. When and if the B&M gauge dies I'll probably replace it with the liquid gauge and just mount it atop the fuel filter with the B&M fitting.

-ps..I installed a AEM fuel rail awhile back. so I can add a third gauge to the mix...if I decided to be weird like that.

-pps..If you want I can snap a quick pic with my cheap digital cam and email it to you? Let me know.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

YEAH THANKS for the info...

if you could snap a few up close shots of were they are mounted that would make my day! thanks bro!
Old 09-24-2003, 10:23 AM

Sorry Crappy $50 pen cam:

Old 09-24-2003, 10:27 AM

Not my car, but another pic:

Old 09-24-2003, 10:33 AM

Also, B&M comes with an extra fitting (90 degree) that attaches to their other fitting. Then you can have the gauges face, tilted forward and upright....But when I had it like that, the hood wouldn't close.

Modified by i2un at 7:52 PM 9/24/2003
Old 09-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Pressure gauge.... regular vacume VS. Liquid filled (Pengo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pengo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">B&M is only good for turning up pressure. not down. keep that in mind. or just get an AEM or better yet an aeromotive or sx. </TD></TR></TABLE>

False. The B&M can adjust from 20-60psi of base fuel pressure. Until last week I had one on my car with a gauge, so this is verified. I removed it for ease of ecu tuning (one less variable).

P.S. I'd go with the liquid-filled if it isn't much more, since my regular one does bounce around alot...though, it's just a normal pressure gauge you can get at any welding/air-tool store for cheap!
Old 09-24-2003, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Fuel Pressure gauge.... regular vacume VS. Liquid filled (ion_four)

OT: but does anyone know what KIND of fluid is in that guage? cuz i have a marshall liquid filled, and i sorta pulled out the rubber stopper and i lost some of the fluid...its a little gooey, so i dont think its water