Notices

found an interesting and promising write up on ssautochrome's kit.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 09:41 PM
dumped_ej1

Default found an interesting and promising write up on ssautochrome's kit.

http://www.spdweb.net/index.ph...id=64 theres the test, i read throught the whole thing and i think theres alot of negative hype on these kits, and for the money he paid for the kit its held up very well and even though he doesnt explain the actual performance very well i think these kits deserve alot more respect than everyone gives them. READ the article then discuss. dont just come in here and flam ssauto cuz the name. so lets have a discussion
Old 03-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually kind of a cool test
Old 03-13-2006, 10:00 PM
dumped_ej1

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually kind of a cool test</TD></TR></TABLE> yea i thought so too considering all you ever hear is "ssautochrome ******* sucks" or "that **** is garbage". i guess this shows hows nut sack swingers ruin ****.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: found an interesting and promising write up on ssautochrome's kit. (dumped_ej1)

I don't need to read it to tell you, and I'm not listening to anyone else when I say this:

A third of SSAC's stuff sucks, a third is a 50-50 diceroll, and a third is inexpensive parts that get the job done the way they should.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:23 PM
dumped_ej1

Default Re: found an interesting and promising write up on ssautochrome's kit. (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't need to read it to tell you, and I'm not listening to anyone else when I say this:

A third of SSAC's stuff sucks, a third is a 50-50 diceroll, and a third is inexpensive parts that get the job done the way they should.</TD></TR></TABLE>this guy has driven 5000+ miles on an ss kit and has had no problems at all......have you ever used or seen firsthand a ssac kit used or anything?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: found an interesting and promising write up on ssautochrome's kit. (dumped_ej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dumped_ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this guy has driven 5000+ miles on an ss kit and has had no problems at all......have you ever used or seen firsthand a ssac kit used or anything?</TD></TR></TABLE>

rofl. asl?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: found an interesting and promising write up on ssautochrome's kit. (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A third of SSAC's stuff sucks, a third is a 50-50 diceroll</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wouldn't a third be a one in 3 dice roll? or a 50-50 dice roll would be a half?

Neat test.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:01 AM

Default Re: found an interesting and promising write up on ssautochrome's kit. (SikofFalln)

a third is still divisible.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: found an interesting and promising write up on ssautochrome's kit. (BigMig)

if anyone cares, this same exhaust housing fits the Greddy 15g...
Old 03-14-2006, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: found an interesting and promising write up on ssautochrome's kit. (tegasaurus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegasaurus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rofl. asl?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have driven my set up with a ssac manifold for about a year or so .. offcourse is braced
Old 03-14-2006, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: found an interesting and promising write up on ssautochrome's kit. (TURBO-WAWA)

very interesting read.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: found an interesting and promising write up on ssautochrome's kit. (Autoworks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Autoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if anyone cares, this same exhaust housing fits the Greddy 15g...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

really? is it just the replacement for the elbow? does it bolt right to the greddy d/p?
Old 03-14-2006, 05:59 AM
wrenchin'

Default Re: found an interesting and promising write up on ssautochrome's kit. (bluemax189)

subscribing to read later
Old 03-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: found an interesting and promising write up on ssautochrome's kit. (I Have an STD)

Well let me see we have a b17 pushing 10psi, that manifold with a SC60-1, and he blew it apart turbo fell down 2 inches (yes its braced 4 times) and then we put a new one on 2 weeks later blew it and 8 inches later the downpipe is holding up the turbo. Need i say more and i will.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: found an interesting and promising write up on ssautochrome's kit. (BoOstedEM1)

I have a buddy that has a SR20det and he must have bought 3 or 4 ssac manifold all because they cracked.

He also had a XS power turbo. That blew as well.

things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm!!
Old 03-14-2006, 06:50 AM

Default Re: found an interesting and promising write up on ssautochrome's kit. (I Have an STD)

That site isn't loading for me. Just keeps loading and loading.

Just because this one setup may hold together doesn't redeem them. They have shitty products and they have shitty customer service.

Read what he responds to people that leave negative or neutral comments and tell me you'd want to do business with a guy who sells you shitty parts, ships you the wrong parts, and has the mentality of an 8 year old.

I considered getting my IC piping from them, but due to shitty customer servie and the fact that I might not get the correct parts I said expletive it, I'll buy from a place that doesn't suck.

edit: Finally loaded. In the FIRST update you have one of the typical problems with SSAC ****, wrong parts sent. This just happened to be the oil return flange.

Modified by Everyones Hero at 11:09 AM 3/14/2006
Old 03-14-2006, 07:37 AM

Not loading for me either.
I do know a guy with an ss kit on his crx - its not actually that bad. He's boosting for $800 with no problems. I give him a - i still kick his *** with my prelude though. But atleast he's quicker than he was.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dumped_ej1
this guy has driven 5000+ miles on an ss kit and has had no problems at all......
Which means nothing. 5K miles, that's an oil change on my daily driver. We're talking about a manifold, something that should be a lifetime piece.

Originally Posted by dumped_ej1
have you ever used or seen firsthand a ssac kit used or anything?
I've been ******* around with Honduhs since '96. I'm a pgmfi.org moderator. I pick up spare nickels by tuning cars. I've seen more turbocharged Honduhs in the last year than you will in your entire life, outside of you seeking them out at car shows or webforum meets. Not being a dick here, just FYI.

1/3

Of the three guys who rolled up last year with SSAC manifolds, all three had to be welded at some point before/during/immediately after tuning. The B-series units are junk, period. They either boost spike uncontrollably, crack uncontrollably, or do both. I've been through this repeatedly. The verdict:

I've heard okay things about SSAC manifolds for the D-series. The only H22 unit I've ever seen was on the car of a local guy, Turbo Sam, and he said he'd clocked a few thousand miles with no cracking but stupid boost spike problems. I'd still recommend everyone avoid them like the plague.

2/3

SSAC turbos are a diceroll.

Wes Buckner, we got 404 whp on a Super T70, and within 8K miles it's puking oil all over the place.

Stevo's H22 CX... was fun. I'd finished tuning idle/part throttle and had the low cam low boost map nearly hammered out. Super T70 again, spooling at 2500 rpms, and rolling into 3rd gear just shy of WOT the car would rip the front tires loose at 9 psi/5000 rpms. Wait, what's that strange grinding noise? OH! Car has been running a whopping two hours and the compressor nut backed off, trashing the compressor wheel. Mister SSAC was real cool about warrantying the turbo, said something about the numbers on the one that came apart being from a bad lot they had, but whatever.

AbaZ/Jeff Frank, who is homemadeturbo.com, has had some great luck with SSAC T3/T04E hybrids, some are close to 20K miles IIRC... which is promising as a heavy T04E compressor on a tiny T3 shaft/journal bearing usually gets 40K miles minimum life. Halfway there, for less than half the price! He just bolted on one of the Super T70, and I look forward to his feedback.

SSAC wastegates... are somewhere between decent, and a diceroll. The diaphragm in them is a somewhat poor design, and prone to cracking after you get some miles on them. I recommend to everyone I know running one to check the diapragm condition every oil change. Be careful, though, as I know a guy who pinched his when changing wastegate springs - his own fault! - and blew an engine. Josh is a man about it, and admitted his mistake, where most people would blame the wastegate to save their tender ego.

*shrug*

3/3

SSAC BOVs are solid, no frills, inexpensive units. Same with their flanges, v-band clamps, etc.

SSAC intercoolers are bang for the buck... now, don't get me wrong, they are of an inferior design due to being bar/plate and not having enough internal fins to help grab onto and dissipate heat. BUT. The big core SSAC ICs are silly cheap which sidesteps core design problems for the average enthusiast... a large SSAC IC does as good or better job as a small quality core that costs half again as much. Are you on pumpgas? SSAC is probably fine for you. Are you pushing limits? Go PWR tube/fin.

There, I typed you a dissertation, based on something more than one anonymous web luser's blog and a fervent hope you don't have to spend the big bucks. Look, there's nothing wrong with being a penny pinching bastard, check out homemadeturbo.com. I think you'll find a number of their members have tried SSAC products at some point, and their experiences range all over the place, mostly being a negative opinion on SSAC manifolds. Really, it's a non-issue. There are plenty of AMERICAN guys making affordable log manifolds and such at a reasonable price that you don't have to buy chinese made junk.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't hate on SSautoSHIT because "that's what everyone else is saying". I personally had a B-series manifold and had to pull it off and re-weld it just about every weekend. After every pull I would do, I would run out to check the manifold to make sure my wastegate was still there . I finally got rid of the piece, and replaced with with a Spoolin Performance manifold which was top notch.

With 1 SSautoSHIT B-series manifold I had:

-crack under EACH runner where they met the head flange
-Wastegate flange broken off and re-welded many times
-Crack in the middle of one of the runners (not at a flange or weld, in the MIDDLE OF THE TUBE!!)...thin ****.
-and the grand finale...a quarter sized hole right in the middle of the "collector", if you can even call it one.

I think I have it laying somehwere...I'll try to get some pics for you non-believers!
Old 03-14-2006, 10:21 PM
dumped_ej1

Default Re: found an interesting and promising write up on ssautochrome's kit. (TopSecretEg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
There, I typed you a dissertation, based on something more than one anonymous web luser's blog and a fervent hope you don't have to spend the big bucks. Look, there's nothing wrong with being a penny pinching bastard, check out homemadeturbo.com. I think you'll find a number of their members have tried SSAC products at some point, and their experiences range all over the place, mostly being a negative opinion on SSAC manifolds. Really, it's a non-issue. There are plenty of AMERICAN guys making affordable log manifolds and such at a reasonable price that you don't have to buy chinese made junk.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well thanks for the firsthand experience point of view. FYI im NOT using ssac stuff for my turbo set up i do plan on doing a home made turbo and i also never said i supported ssac over anything else i was just saying i always hear about the bad **** and never seen a good write up on them so i thought itd make for a good debate(because debates=some of the best knowledge ive ever gained) and your write up has done just that, informed me better on **** i dont know about so thanks for that too.

I cant wait to be boosted
Old 03-15-2006, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just hate on their manifolds.

Some of their parts I'd avoid using *cough* wastegate *cough*, or at least buying new... picking up some of their leaky turbos w/ good wheels for cheap/free and sending them off to Blaast Performance for the $250 rebuild w/ Garrett parts is a way to win.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:23 AM

I am curious how there new style manifolds are holding up such as the "sidewinder" Bseries as a cheap manifold that holds up would be nice for alot of guys who cant afford 5-800 for the full race etc.I have ordered there headers and they are pretty decent and a great options for alot of cars such as MX6,new Tiburon where you have little choice.Has anyone had the sack to run a SS ballbearing turbo?One thing i like with SSis that they have the best shipping system I have ever seen and i get packages to Canada within 3-4days for cheap and no customs charge.Its too bad though that they couldnt just charge a little more for turbos and up the quality a tiny bit then they would see a big jump in business from all the poor guys and DIY's out there.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:40 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't need to read it to tell you, and I'm not listening to anyone else when I say this:

A third of SSAC's stuff sucks, a third is a 50-50 diceroll, and a third is inexpensive parts that get the job done the way they should.</TD></TR></TABLE>

in the order of
manifolds / turbos / bov, wastegates
Old 03-15-2006, 07:30 AM
wrenchin'

Default Re: found an interesting and promising write up on ssautochrome's kit. (d0nfry)

JD, your explanations are always awesome.

i have an SSauto wastegate on my car. 38mm, bought it brand new with three springs for $110 shipped. ONLY reason why i bought i was because my NAME BRAND deltagate was starting ot make e nervous. it never spiked, but i think all the hype about the deltas got to me. i couldnt be happier with my wastegate. it holds boost solid as a rock and NEVER spikes. YES i will be checking it again today (puttin in the bigger spring) but i have no reason to think that there will be anything wrong with it.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:55 AM

hell yeah JD is that *****

Quick Reply: found an interesting and promising write up on ssautochrome's kit.