Notices

Fouled plugs cleaning and re-use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fouled plugs cleaning and re-use?

I got 8 plugs that was fouled to some ECU problems and end up being too rich.

Can I clean them up and re-use them?
sand them and use brake cleaner? (These are BKR7E btw)

Old 11-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fouled plugs cleaning and re-use? (elpiar)

They're EIGHT dollars for a new set.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Fouled plugs cleaning and re-use? (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They're EIGHT dollars for a new set.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know. but it does not answer my question
Old 11-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elpiar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I know. but it does not answer my question </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually I did.

It's NOT worth it, so DON'T do it.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elpiar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I know. but it does not answer my question </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah it does. He's trying to say nicely that you shouldn't be a cheap *****. I never like to chance my motor to stupid **** like that, how dumb would you feel if an electrode broke off and ruined a valve, piston, or turbine wheel?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fouled plugs cleaning and re-use? (tokesGTR)

i get what ur saying, they were covered in soot and ur wondering if u clean them, are they still good.

I thiknk the answer depends on how long they were in and was running rich the only thing wrong with the tune?

What im getting from everyone elses post is that a spark plug is coverd with soot its not good, but no one can explain why.

I guess when my car gets dirty its time for new one, until i hear reasons otherwise.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tokesGTR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah it does. He's trying to say nicely that you shouldn't be a cheap *****. I never like to chance my motor to stupid **** like that, how dumb would you feel if an electrode broke off and ruined a valve, piston, or turbine wheel?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did I say that I will put the fouled plugs in my boosted motor?
Did I even mention what my ride is? what if I'm gonna put it in a $200 car that still runs?

I am asking a question about plugs, not about budgeting on a turbo project. If you don't know the answer to this, please do not post.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did I even mention what my ride is? what if I'm gonna put it in a $200 car that still runs?

I am asking a question about plugs, not about budgeting on a turbo project. If you don't know the answer to this, please do not post.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow...good luck getting any help with that attitude buddy.

I wouldn't put used plugs in my $400 beater Camry wagon, my DD Acura TL, or my turbo ITR-powered civic.

Just throw them away and move on, used plugs FTL.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am asking a question about plugs, not about budgeting on a turbo project. If you don't know the answer to this, please do not post.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're putting it in your boosted car, get new plugs.

If you're putting it in a 200 dollar car that still runs, go spend 10 bucks on a new set of champions.

Don't be a cheap ******. Who cares if it's for a 200 dollar car, you run the risk of it running like complete *** to save as much money as you'd spend on a shitty lunch at McDicks.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Fouled plugs cleaning and re-use? (93supercoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i get what ur saying, they were covered in soot and ur wondering if u clean them, are they still good.

I thiknk the answer depends on how long they were in and was running rich the only thing wrong with the tune?

What im getting from everyone elses post is that a spark plug is coverd with soot its not good, but no one can explain why.

I guess when my car gets dirty its time for new one, until i hear reasons otherwise.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for focusing on the question, unlike most kids in here.

Yea it's only been in the car for 10 minutes, and gets very rich due to the ECU being in limp mode.

Anyone got any experiences cleaning up spark plugs?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elpiar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone got any experiences cleaning up spark plugs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, and the car ended up running like *** every time I tried it. Hence why you should go and spend 10 bucks on new plugs.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I clean up old sets to drive around on or move the car around. I always put in a new set before racing though. Back in the day I just cleaned plugs with carb cleaner and never had a problem
Old 11-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea they will mostly like just foul out again. its only acceptable to re-use them if you get stranded somewhere because of it and you need to make it home. thats the only reason i would/had to do it. i had to do it once and it sucked. cause they keep ******* up again i had to stop constantly to clean them off. luckly i always carry a little piece of sand paper and some parts cleaner lol. but no don't do it even if its your $50 beater. there now you heard from a person with 1st hand experience now go and buy u some new ones.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

theres nothing wrong with cleaning the plugs. I use a matco air tool spark plug cleaner all the time.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tokesGTR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah it does. He's trying to say nicely that you shouldn't be a cheap *****. I never like to chance my motor to stupid **** like that, how dumb would you feel if an electrode broke off and ruined a valve, piston, or turbine wheel?</TD></TR></TABLE>

fat chance of that from cleaning some new plugs.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:30 AM
i ♥ snails

yeah carb cleaner and a wire brush always worked, unless they have signs of stress or it looks as they coud fail physically replace, if there dirty just clean them.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are still having ecu problems then keep cleaning them until you figure that out, but once its fixed I would just go buy some new ones. They arent expensive at all so why not?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fouled plugs cleaning and re-use? (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you are still having ecu problems then keep cleaning them until you figure that out, but once its fixed I would just go buy some new ones. They arent expensive at all so why not?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree I kept fouling plugs on my DSM.. and it was a stupid faulty fuel pressure gauge I bought like 6 sets of plug...before I fixed the prob I could've just cleaned the plugs off and reused them.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D@nnY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D@nnY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">theres nothing wrong with cleaning the plugs. I use a matco air tool spark plug cleaner all the time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Now dont u guys feel dumb.HAHA.

I think its apperent that when dealing with a setup u want to keep around, u use all good parts, but calling the dude dumb and cheap and not giving ANY reasons to why is way more dumb and cheap than the OP.

Thank u Danny.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:30 AM

Default Re: (93supercoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Now dont u guys feel dumb.HAHA.

I think its apperent that when dealing with a setup u want to keep around, u use all good parts, but calling the dude dumb and cheap and not giving ANY reasons to why is way more dumb and cheap than the OP.

Thank u Danny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's right.

That's what I'm doing until I figure out my ECU problem.

Thanks for all the answers guys.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (elpiar)

yes you can clean and reuse them. i have done it a thousand times
Old 11-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Fouled plugs cleaning and re-use? (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I wouldn't put used plugs in my $400 beater Camry wagon, my DD Acura TL, or my turbo ITR-powered civic. </TD></TR></TABLE>

THey sold the plugs I had bought over the phone when I got to the dyno. I still made 60whp over stock NA power with a tiny turbo, 6psi, stock exhaust & cat, crappy manifold, 1 point lower compression pistons, and OLD, CHEAP, *STOCK* PLUGS. They even said I could have added 2 degrees of timing.

In other words, they'll work in a pinch, but don't expect much besides simple combustion.

BTW if this wasn't for a boosted car, it should have been in the TECH section, not FI.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fouled plugs cleaning and re-use? (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BTW if this wasn't for a boosted car, it should have been in the TECH section, not FI. </TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry mom
Old 11-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've reused plugs a couple of times...fouled during a tune but were new before it. I just washed them off with some brake cleaner and a bit of sandpaper...they worked fine for another 3k miles