Notices

FMU+VAFC = no need for blue box???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMU+VAFC = no need for blue box???

Hi, i'm a newb...i just learned from a member that if i were to use a FMU (like vortech) and a VAFC then i could ditch the blue box. Can someone who understands this please explain it to me? I'm new to FI and i'm getting a greddy kit (should be here this week) for my 00 civic si.

Being in Cali...i want my car to be street legal too. Will not running the blue box result in not being street legal anymore? I guess my question is also, do i need a FMU like vortech or no? which set up would be better? Thanks so much!

ps-why doesn't my Pm's work?

-Ray
Old 12-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FMU+VAFC = no need for blue box??? (SiRay6)

forget the fmu, if your not gona use a stand-alone, just use the blue box and the afc. before i bought my hondata, this setup worked quite well for me. still getto though.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FMU+VAFC = no need for blue box??? (grndcont)

Hey thanks a lot i appreciate your advice.

-Ray
Old 12-21-2004, 07:18 AM

When I ran the greddy kit, I just used the vafc and the 450cc injectors. You shouldn't need a blue box or fmu.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FMU+VAFC = no need for blue box??? (maxspeedhonda)

oh...just by putting in bigger injectors and vafc, you can ditch the blue box? I don't really undertand but if you say so...Are there any other neccessary changes before i can just ditch it? Is it better to not use it than use it. Thanks

-Ray
Old 12-21-2004, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiRay6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh...just by putting in bigger injectors and vafc, you can ditch the blue box? I don't really undertand but if you say so...Are there any other neccessary changes before i can just ditch it? Is it better to not use it than use it. Thanks
-Ray</TD></TR></TABLE>

Both the blue box and the vafc modify the ecu signal to control fuel. If you are going to take hte time and effort to try and street tune it, you might ocnsider the vafc, otherwise the blue box (do they still even use those?) should be plug and play. The kit does come with either the blue box or the newer management, why buy additional pieces?

I would say it depends on your power goals. If you'll be happy with just puting the kit on, then don't worry about much else. If you want big power, I doubt the kit will keep you happy.

Then again, I am no expert.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiRay6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh...just by putting in bigger injectors and vafc, you can ditch the blue box? I don't really undertand but if you say so...Are there any other neccessary changes before i can just ditch it? Is it better to not use it than use it. Thanks

-Ray</TD></TR></TABLE>

I ran that kit like that at 10-12 psi for two years.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:36 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: FMU+VAFC = no need for blue box??? (maxspeedhonda)

you will HAVE to use a v-afc if you toss in bigger injectors unless you chip the ecu to properly read that it has larger injectors.

you'll have to scale down your fueling curve with the v-afc or you'll run insanely rich with the larger injectors since they'll be squirting a lot more fuel at the voltage being supplied for smaller injectors since the computer wont know any better....

this is why you run a v-afc with larger injectors.

tossing a fmu ontop of the v-afc will only complicate things as the fmu will also raise rail pressure when it reads boost which will cause the injectors to also flow more fuel meaning you'll have to trim MORE fuel pulsewidth out with the v-afc in the upper (pressurized) rpm band and you may bottom out the v-afc and still be rich (unless you run a really small disc like the 4:1 in the fmu).

I say either stick with the blue box you have now or swap over to a greddy e-manage box with a profec-e1 which can control it graphically from wherever you want and is more tuneable than a v-afc hack and smog legal.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FMU+VAFC = no need for blue box??? (stackz)

Dont run the hack.

Use the FMU, or the blue box.

You only need one of the three.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FMU+VAFC = no need for blue box??? (tegunderpressure)

thanks so much i really appreciate all the info! I'm just running the 310 injectors that goes with the greddy kit so i think i'll use blue box for now....If i decide to up the injectors, i'll make sure i have a v-afc .

-Ray