Notices

fmu and vacuum manifold questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fmu and vacuum manifold questions

i keep hearing fmu's are bad..why? can i run fmu's and larger injectors?

and concerning vacuum manifolds...do you just tee one line into the vacuum manifold? well say if you ran your bov and a boost gauge on it would the pressure be consistent throughout the manifold, or would it b less since there's more things hooked up on it?

thanx in advance

please keep stupid comments to yourselves..they aren't helping anyone
Old 08-24-2007, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if ur gonna fun larger injectors you might want to it ur ecu chipped and minus well lose the fmu and get a tune while your at it
Old 08-24-2007, 05:13 AM

Default Re: (krazyhmongboi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by krazyhmongboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if ur gonna fun larger injectors you might want to it ur ecu chipped and minus well lose the fmu and get a tune while your at it</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what pisses me off sometimes on this forum, "if your gonna do that you MIGHT-AS-WELL (minus?)do this or that........."

he didnt ask that...

Old 08-24-2007, 05:23 AM

Default Re: (1cpu)

everyone thinks that they are a hack for your fuel setup and should have stayed in the 90's...you could run bigger injectors..sure...

vacuum would be consistant....

I would suggest getting a vacuum block for more vacuum lines and not throw the brass tees all over, tuner toys or full race, there pretty cheap.

fuel pressure regulator out -&gt;to FMU in-&gt;FMU out(which is in the center of the FMU usually)to the vehicles stock return fuel line(the tank)-&gt;the top fitting connects to your manifold vaccum...

i am running a Vortech myself...
Old 08-24-2007, 06:10 AM

Default Re: (1cpu)

thanks 1cpu for answering my vacuum questions...but no one answered my fmu questions...my ecu is already running on hondata...i guess ill just ditch it run larger injectors..it'll keep the engine bay a lil cleaner
Old 08-24-2007, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if u run bigger injectors you gonna have to tune the ecu to run those bigger injectors anyway...so minus well tune the whole whole motor to run the way its suppose to especially when boosting..
Old 08-24-2007, 06:39 AM

but can i run both? would there even be a point?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by krazyhmongboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if u run bigger injectors you gonna have to tune the ecu to run those bigger injectors anyway...so minus well tune the whole whole motor to run the way its suppose to especially when boosting..</TD></TR></TABLE>

i haven't understood a thing you just wrote in this topic. wtf are you even trying to say?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by laocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but can i run both? would there even be a point?</TD></TR></TABLE>

an fmu with your setup would just be wasting money. you already have the hondata so you can already tune for larger injectors. so why go with an fmu?

i mean, i don't know man, if you've done your research i think it'd be safe to say that fmu's are shady. just get bigger injectors and a 255 fuel pump and run that. work with the hondata and make things magical
Old 08-24-2007, 08:32 AM

an fmu is not required with larger injectors. an fmu jacks up fuel pressure so you can get more fuel out of smaller injectors. if you have larger ones you dont need the increased fuel pressure anymore.

with a chipped ecu you can more accurately tune fuel and ignition values safely for your turbocharged honda. an fmu just raises fuel pressure 12psi for every 1psi of boost. so there is no real control over the amount of fuel the injectors deliver.

you already have the hondata, just pick up a set of injectors and get the car tuned professionally
Old 08-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fmu and vacuum manifold questions (laocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by laocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i keep hearing fmu's are bad..why? </TD></TR></TABLE>

They are considered bad by today's standards because it is old technology and there are better options available. FMU's are also not precise and cannot be tuned resulting in less power and fuel economy.

FMU's were invented in the late 70's when cars were running on mechanical fuel injection and people needed to increase fuel delivery when adding FI. When cars were going to EFI, nobody had the ability to crack into the ECU and FMU's was still the standard. When standalone engine management came out, it was very very expensive.

In the last 15 years as DIY tuning and cheaper standalones have trickled down to the average joe, there isn't much need for FMU's anymore.

The only thing they're good for is if you are running a low boost (5lbs), super low budget turbo setup.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by laocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Can i run fmu's and larger injectors?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, and this is due to how an FMU was designed to work. An FMU is designed to run on a car that has the stock computer and stock injectors. All it does is raise fuel pressure as boost increases. This forces more fuel out of your injector during the same amount of time it is open. Hence stock injectors.

If you have Hondata, then that eliminates the need for the FMU altogether because now you can install larger injectors and have the car tuned to run like stock off boost and deliver the correct amount of fuel on boost.

Does that make sense?

Old 08-24-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Re: (mike@synapse motorsport)

ok thanks alot.. i do have a 255 walboro fuel pump. i was just wonering about the FMU since drag still sells them with their turbo kits. but yea..ill just pick up some injectors. i got everything else thanks alot
Old 09-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (laocivic)

just remember with the larger injectors your idle is going to be poo poo until you tune the car.