Notices

flooded motor, how to start motor again?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flooded motor, how to start motor again?

i know, me. but i was converting from dsm 450 cc injectors to 550 cc injectors and forgot to adjust the fuel maps, anyways, long story short, i flooded the engine. any tips or tricks? i tried letting it sit for a couple of hours, but that didnt work. any other ideas? thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:41 AM

Default Re: flooded motor, how to start motor again? (ID_ten_T)

change the spark plugs
Old 03-06-2004, 11:45 AM

Default Re: flooded motor, how to start motor again? (D-Man)

i just got done trying that. it didnt work and the new plugs are also drenched in gas. any other ideas? thanks.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:12 PM

crank it with the plugs out
Old 03-06-2004, 12:12 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Can you alter the tip-in enrichment of your fuel management system? otherwise you'd have to change plugs, wait a few hours for the gas to evaporate, and try again.

I wish there was more to think of .. Anyone else?
Old 03-06-2004, 12:44 PM

Default Re: flooded motor, how to start motor again? (tegedrex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegedrex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">crank it with the plugs out</TD></TR></TABLE>

excuse my ignorance, but this seems a little backwards to me. wont pulling the plugs out just flood the engine more by introducing more fuel and no spark? maybe i have this wrong or something.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ID_ten_T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

excuse my ignorance, but this seems a little backwards to me. wont pulling the plugs out just flood the engine more by introducing more fuel and no spark? maybe i have this wrong or something. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Pull the fuse for your fuel pump first.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:12 PM

Default Re: flooded motor, how to start motor again? (ImAcracker)

only inreasing from 450 to 550 shouldnt have flooded it that quick maybee after a few minutes but not right off. and either way you would just have to change the plugs and youde be good to go. are you sure the injectors are functioning right?? are they saturated???

Landon
Old 03-06-2004, 01:30 PM

remove plugs, get a hose and attach to compressor and blow down into the cylinders to try and dry out. let sit overnight. get a tube and drip about a tablespoon of oil on top of the pistons and let it coat the pistons for a few hours. put in new plugs and reset your fuel settings. crank her up and watch her smoke like a bitch. the oil will give you your compression back.

good luck.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:36 PM

Default Re: flooded motor, how to start motor again? (boosted_dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ImAcracker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Pull the fuse for your fuel pump first. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i thought about that, but i couldnt find the fuse. its not labeled under the hood or below the dash. i searched and there are others who couldnt find it either.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted_dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you sure the injectors are functioning right?? are they saturated??? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i got the injectors from a friend with an rx7, i helped pull them off and they were functioning perfectly. and no, injectors are peak and hold, and the 440cc injectors worked perfectly with a resistor box.

Old 03-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what car? pull the fuse for the ECU then, i have a 1992 integra, no fuse listed for the FP, jus pull the ECU fuse, its a 10AMP most likely
Old 03-06-2004, 05:36 PM

Default Re: flooded motor, how to start motor again? (wade)

just pull the ecu fuse, the only thing your doing by cranking the engine with the plugs out is drying and flushing the cylinders out.

Landon
Old 03-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: flooded motor, how to start motor again? (boosted_dc2)

Easiest & qickest way that works everytime. Pull the injector plugs, crank motor, it will start and run for a second then die, plug injectors back in and fire it up.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: flooded motor, how to start motor again? (shotty)

eaiest way is to leave the damn thing alone...let the fuel evaporate a bit....if you have fuel on the plugs set them aside and dry them out...don't pump or crank the engine...just leave it!

secondly...are you using a stand alone?, why are you changing fuel maps for an injector swap?
Old 03-06-2004, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: flooded motor, how to start motor again? (MiraiZ)

HERE IS THE EASIEST FIX

Push the throttle to the floor (with the key off)

Start cranking over and over, (WOT + cranking will shut off fuel pump). Just make sure you push it to the floor and hold it FIRST, then turn the key.

Do this for 5 or 6 times cranking 3-5 seconds each.

Then on the last one, release the throttle while still cranking it over, and it should start. If not, you fouled the plugs beyond hell, so spend the $15 and get new ones.

Old 03-06-2004, 09:04 PM

Remove the ECU fuse under the hood. Then crank the motor for a second then stop. Then crank it again and then stop. Do this 6 or 7 times. After that you should smell a very strong fuel odor. Then reinstall the ECU fuse. Try starting the car again. It may not start on the firast try but keep trying. Once it does start it will run really shitty. Just give it some gas and go for a ride around the block. Once it burns off the extra fuel it will run fine.

I went through the same problem as you when I installed a faulty ECU. One of the chips for the fuel pump on the ECU was bad. When you first turn the key to accessories the fuel pump is supposed to kick on for a second to build fuel pressure. With the bad ecu it would just keep pumping aslong as the key was in the ignition. So the ECU majorly flooded my motor. Luckily my friend showed me this trick. Good luck.