Notices

firing up new motor....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default firing up new motor....

Ok, recently rebuilt my motor (b18c1) with eagle rods, wiseco pistons, g/e sleeves....acl bearings.....head is stock....
The fuel set-up is from my old b16a turbo (756cc injectors tuned with hondata)..
I hooked everything up, timing seems to be correct (at tdc the rotor on the dist points at 7pm correct??).......using the cam gears as the guide the crank seems to match up too.......

cut to the chase...I filled everything (oil,tranny,coolant) and went to turn the motor over....It cranked a few times which I expected being a fresh motor.....2-3 tries and it lets out a loud backfire (running only a dp until I get the car drivable)...
Thats as far as Ive gotten. I noticed a bit of fuel dripping from a weld in the dp ( )...and the fuel line was leaking.........

My intial thought was that the dist was off by 180 degree's causing the cylinders to fill with fuel.........???? but why the backfire?
I'm not sure what I shoulddo now, i'm affraid to try starting it again in fear of damaging the motor.....what to do next????

Modified by b16ahybrid at 7:39 PM 1/24/2006
Old 01-24-2006, 03:24 PM

Default Re: firing up new motor.... (b16ahybrid)

i pulled the plugs, they are a little damp with fuel but thats all. The tops of the pistons look fine...no puddle of fuel....
Old 01-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's your rail pressure?

did you verify the timing was 180 off?

is your map set for the correct CC injector?

platinum.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Double check that plug wires are in the correct order, confirm that the map is correct for the injectors.

You could check the plug wires for spark also, confirm that you are getting spark along with that fuel you know you are getting.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Re: firing up new motor.... (splitime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Double check that plug wires are in the correct order, confirm that the map is correct for the injectors.

You could check the plug wires for spark also, confirm that you are getting spark along with that fuel you know you are getting.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Plug wires were indeed mixed up.....I went back out to dig further into the problem and found that the wires were in the right order but off by one....
The strange thing is my haynes manual shows it that way (the wrong way) but memory and my other motor say otherwise....car fired up right after I fixed a fuel leak...

Now all I have to do is figure out why the engine started to overheat and the fan didn't kick on..........along with figuring out the cel........thanks for the advice guys......

Old 01-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Double check that the wires to the coolant temp gauge on the back of the block are hooked up and/or plug at tstat housing is also plugged in.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:03 PM

Default Re: firing up new motor.... (splitime)

I think you may have the answer, The plug on the coolant temp sensor kept coming off (just rememberd that)......and the sensor by the therm was unplugged earlier (prior to starting the motor).............I'm going to go check now....
Old 01-24-2006, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you had the exact sort of things happen that i ran into(but with a different cause for the overheating). Did my b18b swap years ago and it was just cranking with the occasional nice and quiet BANG, the Haynes manual had the wrong order. Then when i dropped my b18c into my car a few years later and had put a new fan on, the fan blades somehow got snagged on something, broke a few blades and with the dc motor being stalled it kept on blowing fuses), after fixing it still overheated and just ended up shorting the temp sensor connector to have the fan constantly on(until i could replace the sensor).
Old 01-24-2006, 06:38 PM

Default Re: firing up new motor.... (blufke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blufke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you had the exact sort of things happen that i ran into(but with a different cause for the overheating). Did my b18b swap years ago and it was just cranking with the occasional nice and quiet BANG, the Haynes manual had the wrong order. Then when i dropped my b18c into my car a few years later and had put a new fan on, the fan blades somehow got snagged on something, broke a few blades and with the dc motor being stalled it kept on blowing fuses), after fixing it still overheated and just ended up shorting the temp sensor connector to have the fan constantly on(until i could replace the sensor).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well all of my sensors are hooked up.....I havent look into it any further due to time...i'll have to look into later this week....I hope it's just something with the fan it'self that would be nice...... On a side note......
When I put my timing belt on the crank (white mark) wouldn't line up exactly like I thought it should. I skipped a tooth and it was way to advanced so I put it back. Earlier after I got the motor running I had to turn the dist almost all the way advanced to get it set to 16 degree's...any idea's?....I think if I skip a tooth on the crank again i'll be in the same boat but retarding the dist all the way to get my 16 degree's???? kind of boggled there..Thanks so far for the help....
Old 01-25-2006, 06:25 AM

Bump for the new question......above..
Old 01-25-2006, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you skipped a tooth on the intake cam not the crank. When you are lining up the two marks on the cam gears you need to make sure that they are aligned with the top of the head as well.

The white mark on the crank pulley is usually pretty close on Hondas. As long as its within 1/8" of so you have it on the right tooth on the crank.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:34 PM

Default Re: firing up new motor.... (Bailhatch)

So that would explain why it doesn't want to idle unless it's above 1,500rpm....I though that maybe it was because the engine was still cold....
I thought I had the cam's lined up....I put a strait edge across the cam gears and the notches all lined up....I'll have to recheck that then..thanks

Quick question .....Last week I changed my buddy's water pump on his Ls. I took a sharpee and marked the cam gears in several spots and the crank pulley just to make it all the easier and quicker when putting the belt back on (made it super easy)....
I had to hold the intake cam from rotating while slidding the belt on...fastened everything up and the motor fired right up and runs like a champ.....
I didn't have to do that on my gs-r (stock cams in both cars)......should it be the same??? Should the intake cam be trying to rotate on my motor as well?
Thanks for everybodys help so far....
Old 01-26-2006, 11:08 AM

bump....thanks