Notices

Finishing up a turbo install......QUESTIONS------need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finishing up a turbo install......QUESTIONS------need help

So for the past week ive been ripping my car all apart doing everything ive wanted to do for the year...

I just finished the turbo install....sorta...

-Injectors
At one point I was trouble shooting why the car wasnt starting and took them off. It didnt fix the problem, however, from that I did figure out to hook up my fuel pressure guage and realize my pressure was somewhere around 110 psi, a little 'whops' situation. Anyway, fixed that, but didnt put the RC's back in.
-EGT Sensor
Dont have the tools needed to tap my manifold, and really dont want to **** with drilling a piece of metal that I paid a **** load of money for that could potentially screw myself if its in the wrong place.

There are 3 problems that I am currently encoutering.
-Slight leak off of the turbo feed line at the point where it enters the turbo. Since its a bitch to try to get to it, I just havent bothered with it because its not the most important thing at the moment.
-When I start the car, my Tial is already somewhat open and allows a certain amount of bypass through. Now im not exactly sure....but I believe it is suppose to be fully closed until the intake manifold pressure reaches the wastegate's spring rate. Can anyone verify this?
-My exhuast manifold appears to be getting very hot. I mean hotter than normal. I used the turbo 440 base calibration map for the EMS, but the manifold area gets hot as **** while the car is ideling. Ive set timing to 16.05 degrees , however, I think something in the ems settings is allowing fuel to enter the exhuast manifold and combust.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:52 AM

Default Re: Finishing up a turbo install......QUESTIONS------need help (integra-modder)

anyone....?
Old 12-01-2003, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Finishing up a turbo install......QUESTIONS------need help (integra-modder)

exhuast manifolds get hot no matter what RPM they are at. Ever seen a picture of a dyno run w/the lights off? CHERRY RED
On the Tial, did you put the ring in there? I know i couldve SWORE that I put it in, only to look around on the floor to see that it "fell out" when installing the WG...
Old 12-01-2003, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Finishing up a turbo install......QUESTIONS------need help (Tinker219)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tinker219 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">exhuast manifolds get hot no matter what RPM they are at. Ever seen a picture of a dyno run w/the lights off? CHERRY RED

On the Tial, did you put the ring in there? I know i couldve SWORE that I put it in, only to look around on the floor to see that it "fell out" when installing the WG...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats actually exactly what had happened....I took the tial apart thinking the seal was ripped or something. Then I took it off and saw the ring was missing...found it on the floor under the table...but i remember thinking i need to put it in.

anyway...
well, today i drove it, and the manifold got cherry red, red enough to melt the blades of my ac fan to the fan frame. I currently have my turbo hooked up to the stock exhuast and I think the stock cat is not allowing me to do anything and wont allow any flow in the exhuast.

In fact, im able to build boost without load....WHY IS THIS HAPPENNING????

Im thinking that because of the restrictive stock exhuast it could be causing gas build up revving up the turbo.

anyone has any ideas....let me know...
Old 12-01-2003, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would think since a restrictive exhaust would raise spool time because gas cant escape it would keep you from building boost. Since the gas cant escape it keeps the turbine from spinning in the proper direction.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra-modder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats actually exactly what had happened....I took the tial apart thinking the seal was ripped or something. Then I took it off and saw the ring was missing...found it on the floor under the table...but i remember thinking i need to put it in.

anyway...
well, today i drove it, and the manifold got cherry red, red enough to melt the blades of my ac fan to the fan frame. I currently have my turbo hooked up to the stock exhuast and I think the stock cat is not allowing me to do anything and wont allow any flow in the exhuast.

In fact, im able to build boost without load....WHY IS THIS HAPPENNING????

Im thinking that because of the restrictive stock exhuast it could be causing gas build up revving up the turbo.

anyone has any ideas....let me know...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Building boost without load............Maybe you are dumping a bunch of timing. Kind of like what you would do for a full throttle launch. What turbo are you running?
Old 12-01-2003, 07:26 PM

you timming could be way retarted and you can be running to much fuel and the heat could be built from a restrictive ex

and you found the problem with the WG i was about to say to check that ring and see if it was there
Old 12-02-2003, 11:16 PM

Default Re: (bottlefedb18c1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeStUdO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Building boost without load............Maybe you are dumping a bunch of timing. Kind of like what you would do for a full throttle launch. What turbo are you running?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Garrett T3-T40E Turbocharger 57 Trim, .63 A-R

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bottlefedb18c1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you timming could be way retarted and you can be running to much fuel and the heat could be built from a restrictive ex

and you found the problem with the WG i was about to say to check that ring and see if it was there</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what I was thinking when I was playing with my EMS.

I saw the anti lag programming and remembered reading on the EMS forums that you retard timing to get the turbo to spool quicker, but they said be careful because the manifold gets pretty hot. I need to figure out why the timing is retarted so bad even thought its set to 16.05 in the EMS.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:21 PM

Default Re: (integra-modder)

describe this making boost without load, sometimes that can be done to an extent.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:31 PM

Default Re: (94goldjungsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94goldjungsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">describe this making boost without load, sometimes that can be done to an extent.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Obviously it can be done....but its usually never enoujgh to even set off the blow off valve...

My HKS screams and the tial opens up if i rev it up to about 5 K rpm....
Old 12-03-2003, 07:50 AM

ttt
Old 12-03-2003, 12:01 PM

up we go
Old 12-03-2003, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The boost in neutral is normal and not an indication of any thing worse than a properly sized turbo (or at least proper for me). the timing and A/F should be your focus.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

unhook your dp from your cat and see if it still builds boost. that will tell u if its your cat or not. also u can tell how rich your running by having someone watch your exhaust when u rev it up. also none of my manifolds have glown yet. but ive never seen more than 10psi. sounds like ur timming is to retarded causeing much higher exhaust gases. hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:09 PM

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The boost in neutral is normal and not an indication of any thing worse than a properly sized turbo (or at least proper for me). the timing and A/F should be your focus.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ive seen only a handfull of honda make boost in neutral unless they are doing something with tunning to make that happen...