Notices

Finally got my car figured out: ITR with JRSC

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got my car figured out: ITR with JRSC

This is my first supercharged car, ive always been an NA guy and this time i decided to do something different.

Mods:
STock OEM ITR Longblock (stock rods, pistons, etc)
Skunk2 PRO Valvesprings/Retainers
Skunk2 PRO Cam Gears
Skunk2 Stage 2 camshafts
KiddRACING Narrow B Header
JRSC 4.2in pulley
B20 Crank pulley
450cc injector
CTR Transmission with ATS 4.9 FD

The car made 200whp NA, ran into some problems with the supercharger holding boost because of the bigger "na" camshafts i had. SO i ended up just running more boost to solve the problem and it worked.

Making 5psi in VTEC i ended up with 233who/159tq. I hit around 9psi on low cam before VTEC , but once VTEC hit it drops down to around 5psi.

First impressions are the car is 100 times faster. The 4.9FD and the linear powerband , i dont know if there is much out there from stoplight to stoplight that could hang with it.

Ill get some videos and pics up later today.
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally got my car figured out: ITR with JRSC

Nice build. i would think tho you should be making more power with the supercharger on. only gaining 33hp with the supercharger doesnt seem right.. nice build tho.

Last edited by boostedEF91; 12-14-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, must be real fun dude! The setup seems really well planned.

Are the camshafts tuner series or pro series?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Shadowz7429
Damn, must be real fun dude! The setup seems really well planned.

Are the camshafts tuner series or pro series?
seeing that he said stage2's stage 2s usually means tuner2's if pro series he woulda said pro 2's
Old 12-14-2009, 10:23 AM
FSAE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good looking graph.

Did you for ***** and giggles dissable VTEC and see what the powerband looked like? Did you try advancing the exhaust cam at all?

I would definately opt for a smaller cam, at least on the exhaust side. Try a Skunk2 Stage1 exhaust cam or ITR exhaust cam.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blow-through, FTL, Mike.

The best performing supercharged B-Series I have had come through here all had one thing in common: OEM GSR exhaust cam, ITR intake cam.

Supercharged cars can be pretty fun, though. I did enjoy my 320whp JRSC'd K20 for the 8 months or so before I turbocharged it. I miss being able to hold third/fourth gear like I could supercharged.

- Derek
Old 12-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedEF91
Nice build. i would think tho you should be making more power with the supercharger on. only gaining 33hp with the supercharger doesnt seem right.. nice build tho. :thumpup:

Ditto!
Old 12-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice build. i would think tho you should be making more power with the supercharger on. only gaining 33hp with the supercharger doesnt seem right.. nice build tho. :thumpup:
You aren't seeing the previous graph, with no JRSC.
You could have gained quite a bit under the curve, and quite a bit of low end power.
It's not all about peak HP, it's about the power under the car, that's what makes the car go.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 92TypeR
Good looking graph.

Did you for ***** and giggles dissable VTEC and see what the powerband looked like? Did you try advancing the exhaust cam at all?

I would definately opt for a smaller cam, at least on the exhaust side. Try a Skunk2 Stage1 exhaust cam or ITR exhaust cam.
I actually did play with the cam gears a little, i ended up with +2 EXHAUST and -1 intake

Heres JRSC "BLUE" vs ITR NA
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2009, 02:26 PM

In all fairness, the car made 200whp about 4-5 months ago. The last time i dynoed it NA was about a month before i did the supercharger it made 194whp (probably difference in humidity, etc).

so 233-194=39whp gain.

40whp from just 5psi, i can live with that. To be honest we tuned it very conservatively since this is a oem stock motor with less than 5000 miles on it. I was also only looking to make between 230-240whp i didnt want more than that so we stopped right there and made it safe to drive.

IATs were around 120-125 so thats good, but it is also in the 30s at night here haha. Summer time ill be doing the LHT manifold
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2009, 02:29 PM

Here is the JRSC ITR "BLUE" VS My old 2.0lLSVTEC NA Engine (PRO3s, 12:1, Ported head)
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As a long time jrsc fan and owner of 2 diff setups, You should be making much more than that with your pulley combination sir. Ive followed your threads in the past and enjoyed your work, so please dont think this is a hater reply. Your camshaft selection is killing you. Your pulley combo ( which = rotor speed and total cfm being moved) along with your decent mods and tuning hardware should be netting you in the 260+ range. Check out the 500+ page jrsc thread if you havnt already or hondatas old page with the jrsc dynos making 260+ with questionable bolt ons on b18c5s. As a competent mechanic who seems to be able to get his hands on good parts, try swapping ur cams for the tried and true gsr intake/itr exhaust combo. I gurantee you will not be disappointed. and in the meantime, enjoy ur new found low end tq!
Old 12-14-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ridikk
As a long time jrsc fan and owner of 2 diff setups, You should be making much more than that with your pulley combination sir. Ive followed your threads in the past and enjoyed your work, so please dont think this is a hater reply. Your camshaft selection is killing you. Your pulley combo ( which = rotor speed and total cfm being moved) along with your decent mods and tuning hardware should be netting you in the 260+ range. Check out the 500+ page jrsc thread if you havnt already or hondatas old page with the jrsc dynos making 260+ with questionable bolt ons on b18c5s. As a competent mechanic who seems to be able to get his hands on good parts, try swapping ur cams for the tried and true gsr intake/itr exhaust combo. I gurantee you will not be disappointed. and in the meantime, enjoy ur new found low end tq!
I never take knowledge as criticism or "hating" i really appreciate your info! You are right i did look through the pages and it seems im about 20-30whp short of other people with similar mods.

But my dilemma is this:

The car made 197whp STOCK STOCK STOCK with just a header. I upgraded to Skunk2 Stage 2s and valvetrain (really just to rev higher and i got the cams for free) and made 201whp. It didnt make a ton of PEAK power but i was able to rev to 9500 safely and the cams shifted my power band about 700rpms (i was peaking at 7800 before, with the cams it was 8500).

Now, when i did the JRSC everyone told me to go back to stock cams. I kinda wrestled with the decision i wont lie. I would hate to put stock cams back in, lose 5-10whp, just to try an gain it back by the addition of 1-2psi if that makes sense.

You really think i would make MORE power going to a smaller cam?

I will say though that around here, most people with a JRSC on a semi stock motor make around 220-230whp seems i am right there, but with less boost. but you are talking about GSRs making 175whp, running 8-9psi making around 230whp , im making same power with 5psi
Old 12-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO your cams are for a Big all motor build. Throw a set of ITR's or even tuner1's in and i think you'll see a significant increase in power. to big of cams is overkill.. bigger always inst better. simple setups make the most.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VtecKiDD

You really think i would make MORE power going to a smaller cam?
Yes. Because it has less overlap. More overlap is great for a N/A engine but for a roots blown engine it's a killer. The M62 is not a compressor, it's a air pump. The increase in positive pressure comes from the supercharger ramming more and more air into a confined space. Your cam works against that theory, causing you to loose both boost and power by way of having more overlap.

I'd suggest going back to the stock cams or sourcing a dedicated cam for supercharged setups.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:45 PM

Vtechkidd, what is the compression ratio of your engine at the moment?
Old 12-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO your cams are for a Big all motor build. Throw a set of ITR's or even tuner1's in and i think you'll see a significant increase in power. to big of cams is overkill.. bigger always inst better. simple setups make the most.
I think its the fact that the blower is too small to flow his cfm

So IF there was a larger blower available the cams would help make the car more power as it would allow the engine to breathe better at higher revs.

Unfortunately at this time there isnt an off the shelf eaton kit that can support these cams ...its a matter of the blower being too small not the cams being too big IMO but either way it creates an issue as far as optiming a setup goes.

I think at 5psi the results speak loud....less boost, similar power...cams are working well. Blower = running out of lungs

There was that guy making that custom kit with the larger eaton unit though...his setup was pretty awesome and like 3XXwhp with an eaton unit on an older non K motor. Think the setup was gonna be mass produced eventually...300+whp with an eaton made for some sick torque lol

Nice numbers
Old 12-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

which one felt faster, the all motor setup or the new SC?

Im assuimg these were in the same chassis?
Old 12-14-2009, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by turbociv910
which one felt faster, the all motor setup or the new SC?

Im assuimg these were in the same chassis?
The JRSC setup by far, but i do have to say my old 2.0l setup didnt have the 4.9 Final Drive like i have now.

This is all in a CRX.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by SergEK

Unfortunately at this time there isnt an off the shelf eaton kit that can support these cams ...its a matter of the blower being too small not the cams being too big IMO but either way it creates an issue as far as optiming a setup goes.

I think at 5psi the results speak loud....less boost, similar power...cams are working well. Blower = running out of lungs
Thats what we were thinking too. I think ideally if i could run enough boost safely through the motor it would be fine, but i dont really want to cross the 250whp threshold on a stock ITR block.

I think i will switch back to my ITR cams and retune it , if nothing else just for another dyno graph and see where it helps/hurts. Be good info to know
Old 12-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd like to see a graph with the ITR's in just to see how everthing pans out in this thread haha. so many opinions. lets see what happens.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i say you will gain 10-15 hp easy by switching back to stock cams, your still flowing the same cfm of air, its almost like if you had a clogged cat on a supercharger, your boost would lower once you removed the clogged cat but your power will go up do to it flowing better, i know thats a bad anology but its the best i can do
Old 12-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im sure that power feels great in a crx!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will definitely make more power with an ITR intake and GSR exhaust cams.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SergEK
I think its the fact that the blower is too small to flow his cfm

So IF there was a larger blower available the cams would help make the car more power as it would allow the engine to breathe better at higher revs.

There was that guy making that custom kit with the larger eaton unit though...his setup was pretty awesome and like 3XXwhp with an eaton unit on an older non K motor. Think the setup was gonna be mass produced eventually...300+whp with an eaton made for some sick torque lol

Nice numbers
Sorry to say but this is just not the case. there are people making 300whp with this same blower, so him at 230 isnt using all it has. this is a simple breathing issue. and one final note vteckidd, dont push her too hard with that upgraded pulley combo without some form of intercooling, or ull be finding out how strong ur ringlands really are soon enough

Quick Reply: Finally got my car figured out: ITR with JRSC