Notices

Finally Getting My Turbo Set Up Going

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Finally Getting My Turbo Set Up Going

I wish more parents would beat their children, then maybe most of them wouldn't be total spoiled, self absorbed *********.

and I've discovered most mustang owners are idiots... if it doesn't have a shitload of stripes, straight pipes, Roush parts, and Bullit wheels then it isn't cool.

I'll never forget the look on the guys face when I rolled his twin turbo fox body with a 300hp s13. He was so confused lol.

I really like the svt cobras, we've built a few as shop cars and they are really fun, the new ones are nice too... we built one as a shop car and it made around 650hp, stupid amounts of fun. but we took all of the stripes and **** off our cars, mustang owners kept asking us why we did that lol.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:54 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 91b18a1ls
Honestly, I've never heard of the guy. No one I've even talked to around here has heard of him either. I've lived in Austin for 20 years and have never heard of that shop. Never heard of Corey either. I know of Eric up at AGN in Killeen, and H Car Jorge (or George) in San Antonio. Not doubting they exist lol, just don't know anything about them or their work other than what you've just told me. I chose JMS because I met the guys at 2k last year, got to know them, saw their work, they tuned my friends sti and did a great job. I trust those guys and I know they do good work. If it turns out the tune sucks (never know), I'll find someone else. Nothing against your guys, I've just had my share of bad tunes from random people over the years so I wanna go somewhere I have trust and that for me right now is JMS.
corey (owner) from henderson performance is more known in the chevy v8 corvette community, but i meet him like 13 years ago. he had a dyno day at his shop and what sold me was his jdm gsr turbo teg. jason aka stoopid came from houston originally, im surprised your friends havent heard of him. he is well known as a honda tuner guru in texas, i never meet him but ive seen his work. jms is a good shop from what i hear from my evo friends. either way you go just make sure who does the tune does it right.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wantboost
I wish more parents would beat their children, then maybe most of them wouldn't be total spoiled, self absorbed *********.

and I've discovered most mustang owners are idiots... if it doesn't have a shitload of stripes, straight pipes, Roush parts, and Bullit wheels then it isn't cool.

I'll never forget the look on the guys face when I rolled his twin turbo fox body with a 300hp s13. He was so confused lol.

I really like the svt cobras, we've built a few as shop cars and they are really fun, the new ones are nice too... we built one as a shop car and it made around 650hp, stupid amounts of fun. but we took all of the stripes and **** off our cars, mustang owners kept asking us why we did that lol.
Couldn't of said it better. Lol about the mustang guys. So true. What the hell was in that s13 if it beat a tt fox!? Or what shitty setup was in that fox? One of the fastest street cars around here is (was until it broke) a single 101mm turbo lsx fox making over 1000. Thing was so nasty. We had it go out and troll a boosted ep3 one night that was talking **** acting like he ran the streets. I'll have to find that video, but the fox just messed with it, got his ego up, and then put him in his place real quick lol.
Originally Posted by justYncredible
corey (owner) from henderson performance is more known in the chevy v8 corvette community, but i meet him like 13 years ago. he had a dyno day at his shop and what sold me was his jdm gsr turbo teg. jason aka stoopid came from houston originally, im surprised your friends havent heard of him. he is well known as a honda tuner guru in texas, i never meet him but ive seen his work. jms is a good shop from what i hear from my evo friends. either way you go just make sure who does the tune does it right.
Ahh ok. I think the reason I don't know him is because I don't really have many honda friends lol. I hang out with all the v8 and LS guys at the meets and none of my friends who I hang out with outside of the meet have a honda. Most drive camaros, trans ams or subarus. I'm the odd guy in the group I guess.

My friend got me a flexfuel badge for my car =] I've wanted one for awhile just never went and got one.

Oh...I did decide to see if boost fuel cut worked yesterday and I learned it does not =[ I had it set to cut if it saw 1 psi and I hit 3 and it never cut. I then decided to see what 5 psi was like (in 5th on the highway just to see) and it was really slow lol afr was in the low 10's so it was just bogging down with fuel and pulling timing. I thought I broke something doing it though. I was watching the afr gauge and saw 5 psi and then the car felt like it hit a wall. My face about hit the steering wheel. Scared the **** out of me. Turns out it was the 4k rpm rev limit that I hit, not the boost fuel cut. So the rev limit fuel cut works but not the one for boost for some reason, crome problems I guess. Whatever though, it's all good and it saw boost for the first time =] I need to adjust the bov cause all I heard when it cut was compressor surge. I don't plan to try to hit boost again though, I could since I know it's getting plenty of fuel and pulling timing but idk it makes me nervous. I do wanna see how the bov sounds though...
Old 07-04-2014, 01:34 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

i dont have many honda friends around me if any. once i get my car running ill try to swing up to austin for a car meet or something. coffee and rides is pretty big in austin i hear and its steady growing down here as well.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont have many honda friends around me if any. once i get my car running ill try to swing up to austin for a car meet or something. coffee and rides is pretty big in austin i hear and its steady growing down here as well.
Cool, we used to have a monthly meet where Killeen would come down and San Antonio would come up. It was pretty big and we always had a lot of good runs. We've got 2 cars & coffee events each month. One on the first Sunday (now called The Leander Car Show) and the actual cars and coffee on the second sunday. They're always packed with badass cars, always fun to go out to those..when it's not 100 degrees that is lol.

Decided to go take some new shots of the car now that it's back on the road. I was on E and wasn't willing to run out of gas (e85 stations are both 10 miles from my house) so I just went to a spot in my neighborhood for some quick shots

IMG_9707 by AlwaysInVtec, on Flickr

IMG_9709 by AlwaysInVtec, on Flickr

IMG_9731 by AlwaysInVtec, on Flickr

IMG_9763 by AlwaysInVtec, on Flickr
This one ended up being my favorite for some reason
IMG_9773 by AlwaysInVtec, on Flickr

IMG_9783 by AlwaysInVtec, on Flickr

IMG_9798 by AlwaysInVtec, on Flickr

IMG_9799 by AlwaysInVtec, on Flickr
Old 07-10-2014, 09:36 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

nice pics bruh! once i get my coil in the mail and hopefully my car running and tuned shortly after that. ill hit up to try and meet up with you guys in austin for a meet.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That DA is gorgeous! The wheels look so good on all integras it seems. Great job on the pictures as well.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man that is a beautiful ride. God I love Integras lol. I hope to make it to one of the Austin meets here soon.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice pics bruh! once i get my coil in the mail and hopefully my car running and tuned shortly after that. ill hit up to try and meet up with you guys in austin for a meet.
Thanks. We've got a big meet in the works, mexico racing league is coming out and it's supposed to be the biggest meet in months. Pm me if you want details about where and when.
Originally Posted by Eight09
That DA is gorgeous! The wheels look so good on all integras it seems. Great job on the pictures as well.
Originally Posted by darkvader0
Man that is a beautiful ride. God I love Integras lol. I hope to make it to one of the Austin meets here soon.
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've put 200 miles on my car since finishing it so I decided to raise it up and do a once over on everything to make sure it's all still good. Found no leaks, everything is still tight, compressor and turbine wheel are both oil free, turbo doesn't have any shaft play and spins freely, haven't lost/burnt any oil, and no coolant loss either. Can't ask for anything better then that. I'm happy =]

Bearings are broken in on the turbo as well. No more stopping at idle =]

Still waiting on my map sensor, no big deal on how long it takes to get to me since it wont go on until I'm ready to dyno. Still don't have money to get a downpipe or dumptube made...or get hondata =[

Being trying to decide what to do for the downpipe though. I've been concerned with the 2.25 diameter of the rsr exmag that I've got on the car. I don't want to get rid of that exhaust, it sounds too nice and is too hard to come by to get rid of it. I feel it's going to be a major restriction though at higher rpms. So I've been debating on whether or not to have a cutout put on the downpipe somewhere. Either electronic or boost actuated, which ever I can afford. I think that would be the best option. I can keep the quiet rsr for driving around and then when I want to run or really get on it, just open the cutout and be restriction free. Just an idea, idk for sure yet. Like I said I can't afford to make the downpipe yet so I've got time to think
Old 07-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Have you ever met a mustang owner that can drive? that's how I beat him lol

Most Ford's sound like they can rip the asphalt off the ground but make sub 300whp
Old 07-17-2014, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most Ford's sound like they can rip the asphalt off the ground but make sub 300whp
LOL that's so true about the exhaust!

Did a little throwback Thursday photo. On the left is when I got it in April 2010 and on the right is how it sits now in July 2014

Old 07-18-2014, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had many Mustangs and many set-ups from a bolt on 302 to a V1-Si trim Vortech supercharged H/C/I set-up. I have always beat 99% of imports with ease mostly due to the fact that fox body Mustangs can pull a 1.5 60ft on wet grass. I am currently doing a Coyote swap with a Mccleod twin disc clutch and a 26 spine 03 cobra 6 speed on my 92 LX.

Back on topic, OP let me know how it goes at the tuner. I will need mine tuned soon and am unsure of where to go.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I know you build badass cars :p
I also know you know how to drive lol

around here it's just really loud cars with stereotypical mustang wheels and mustang stripes, along with lots of shiny parts and roush stickers everywhere, not to mention the guys that make their v6 mustangs look like gt's with nothing but an exhaust... then try to race everything around them.

when you getting this thing tuned son? interested in numbers
Old 07-18-2014, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
I have had many Mustangs and many set-ups from a bolt on 302 to a V1-Si trim Vortech supercharged H/C/I set-up. I have always beat 99% of imports with ease mostly due to the fact that fox body Mustangs can pull a 1.5 60ft on wet grass. I am currently doing a Coyote swap with a Mccleod twin disc clutch and a 26 spine 03 cobra 6 speed on my 92 LX.

Back on topic, OP let me know how it goes at the tuner. I will need mine tuned soon and am unsure of where to go.
Sounds like a fun mustang. I have nothing against them, just don't like the kids who think their stock v6 or even stock gt is "fast", that goes for any car though.
I know you build badass cars :p
I also know you know how to drive lol

around here it's just really loud cars with stereotypical mustang wheels and mustang stripes, along with lots of shiny parts and roush stickers everywhere, not to mention the guys that make their v6 mustangs look like gt's with nothing but an exhaust... then try to race everything around them.

when you getting this thing tuned son? interested in numbers
Good question. I got my map sensor in =] So now all I have left is get a real downpipe made, dumptube, and hondata. I'm taking the car over to my friends house tomorrow for him to take a ride and tell me what he thinks about my afr's. He's my "turbo guru" lol, he knows how to tune a car so he might be able to help show me where in the map I need to adjust. I'm just wasting a lot of fuel cruising down the highway and I want that fixed. Maybe...maybe I can get him to tune a few psi for me...under 5, just so I can feel some boost. I'll see about that though

Omni 3bar
Old 07-22-2014, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I drove a roughly 75 mile round trip for the biggest meet we've had in months and the next day I decided to pop the hood and check everything out to make sure it was still good. Everything seemed fine, oil level was good, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary at first. Then as I was looking at the turbo checking for any leaks on the feed and return I noticed at the bottom of my block, right along the corner of the oil pan gasket there was some oil there. I then checked under the car and sure enough there was a drip of oil hanging on the bottom of the pan and a small (quarter size) puddle on the ground under it >=[

Turns out there was a bit of oil all the way around the pan along the gasket. I can't say I'm not surprised. Out of all the new gaskets and stuff I replaced while the car was down I reused the old oil pan gasket cause it was fairly new. It was just a Felpro gasket not an oem one like the other gaskets I had used. I'm fairly certain I severely over tightened it as well now that I looked in the book and saw it only needs 9ftlbs. So again can't say i'm surprised. Just bummed cause everything was nice and leak free.

So now, as soon as I can I'll get an oem gasket and go ahead and replace it. I'll also torque it to the correct spec this time as well and hopefully it wont leak anymore.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:52 AM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

That sucks but it happens. I've got the same issue right now. Basically said "**** it" when it came down to the oil pan gasket and ran all the bolts in with an air ratchet. Squished the gasket and now it's leaking in 2 different spots. I believe when I replace mine I'm going to put a thin layer of silicone all the way around and torque it to spec as well.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aradin
That sucks but it happens. I've got the same issue right now. Basically said "**** it" when it came down to the oil pan gasket and ran all the bolts in with an air ratchet. Squished the gasket and now it's leaking in 2 different spots. I believe when I replace mine I'm going to put a thin layer of silicone all the way around and torque it to spec as well.
I wouldn't of done that...but that's just me. Breaking one of the bolts or studs off in the block would not be fun to fix.

I was doing some research yesterday and found a site called myhondahabit.com. I had never heard of it, but apparently they make laser cut solid composite gasket and stud kit for it that supposedly is damn near leak proof. It's not cheap though. It's $80+15 shipping. I think a standard oem gasket will do fine if put on properly and torqued correctly. If that fails again though, then I'll consider going that route
Old 07-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Yeah they actually have an eBay store as well. Their stuff isn't bad at all. I'm using an extended intake manifold stud kit & extended fuel rail stud kit from them.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

the mhh gasket is great because it doesn't compress like the other gaskets out there so it's infinitely reusable, yet it compresses enough to seal any imperfections in the gasket sealing surfaces on the block and pan
Old 07-25-2014, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice clean setup, I love to see a clean da they are so far and few these days . Hopefully mine comes out as clean as yours, what size rim and tire are you running?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by da love
Nice clean setup, I love to see a clean da they are so far and few these days . Hopefully mine comes out as clean as yours, what size rim and tire are you running?
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Rims are 16x7 cheapo rotas. Tires are 205/50/r16 yokohama s-drives
Old 07-27-2014, 06:25 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Getting air fuel right only makes the car run smooth.. ignition timing is the most important thing on a turbo motor.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:55 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

the mhh gasket is great because it doesn't compress like the other gaskets out there so it's infinitely reusable, yet it compresses enough to seal any imperfections in the gasket sealing surfaces on the block and pan
Co-sign!
I'm running the oil pan kit from mhh. It's worth the buy mos def! Not sure if you have a tq wrench that can go that low but if you don't, get one!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Getting air fuel right only makes the car run smooth.. ignition timing is the most important thing on a turbo motor.
Oh yeah most definitely. I had it checked out by a couple people who said it was safe, but I can post the map and have you check it out as well. If you know about that type of thing. I trust what they said about it, but I'm all for playing it safe and getting an opinion from more people. I tried playing it safe and stay out of boost all together..but I couldn't. I have to be able to get up the hills around here lol
Co-sign!
I'm running the oil pan kit from mhh. It's worth the buy mos def! Not sure if you have a tq wrench that can go that low but if you don't, get one!
Cool, you and several other people have said nothing but good things about. I'll definitely get it as soon as I can. And yeah, I've got a little 1/4in snap on tq wrench that reads in inch pounds so it can do the small stuff.

Quick Reply: Finally Getting My Turbo Set Up Going