Notices

Filter - Screen - Open Intake What Are you Running, Whats The Best? Restriction?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filter - Screen - Open Intake What Are you Running, Whats The Best? Restriction?

Just going to start building all the piping for my crx when the flanges and couplers get here, was deciding on whether or not to make an intake pipe or not. The car is daily driven, zero fenderliner or underbody liner.

Just wonderring what everyone is running, what works the best, what sounds the best.... etc etc

I really dont think i wanna run an intake so Im preally just inbetween squeezing a piece of panty hose/mesh screen behind a custom flange or just running it open. Would the panty hose decrease flow a lot? Curious
Old 11-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Filter - Screen - Open Intake What Are you Running, Whats The Best? Restriction? (W O T)

i'm using a filter in my crx....works well if you ask me

Old 11-17-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Filter - Screen - Open Intake What Are you Running, Whats The Best? Restriction? (red_crx)

i have no idea whats the best thing to go with, but im running a hks velocity stack. for my app is should be ok since im gonna be running a topmount manifold.

what mani do you plan to use?

Modified by imola-red dc2 at 12:09 AM 11/18/2005
Old 11-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

loving those camgears!
Old 11-17-2005, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboPieces5280)

there is a thread around here that said that you actually lose power running a screen
Old 11-18-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Re: (EF8opey)

I would think a filter would do some damage to flow
Old 11-18-2005, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (W O T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by W O T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would think a filter would do some damage to flow </TD></TR></TABLE>

funny stuff, thanks for the laugh.

I'd rather lose a little flow than lose my turbo to F.O.D.

Just make a pipe with mandrel bends and get the biggest K&N filter you can get your hands on.

Also - Scientific Fact = cool air is more dense, therefore you will make more power, and you'll also reduce the likelyhood of detonation.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:05 AM

Search and you will find a thread about this. Putting a filter on there is advisable for safety and performance..
Old 11-18-2005, 04:18 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (swlabhot)

driving i will run the filter. dyno pulls and the track, it may be open havent decided. i will see the results with and with out on the dyno.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:38 AM

Nope, unless something is wrong w/ the filter.

On my turbo Maxima, I ran a screen for a while while awaiting my HKS filter (only one that would fit). And everyone told me that the filter would cost me power, so I dynoed it both ways. I actually gained about 2 whp w/ the filter (but that's within dyno tolerances/error so it doesn't really count). We made 3-4 pulls on each setup, and I hit 298-299whp each time w/ the screen and 300-301 whp w/ the filter, both at 7psi.

I could see not running a filter only if you absolutely positively couldn't fit one in there, but especially if it's daily driven, I'd run a filter.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by W O T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would think a filter would do some damage to flow </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-18-2005, 05:42 AM
sh!t happens.

G

Default Re: (AP-Signworks1)

Man i want those cam gears..
Old 11-18-2005, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (G"UNIT)

Get a filter, more surface area=more flow. A screen WILL rob horsepower, it has been proven many times.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:45 AM

Default Re: (91dxcrx)

Do they still sell those HKS camgears??? Those are very nice
Old 11-18-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Re: (EF8kid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G"UNIT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Man i want those cam gears..</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, they took me awhile to find them. found a new set on ebay for 300. pm if you want the info on it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EF8kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do they still sell those HKS camgears??? Those are very nice </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks, they have been discontinues for awhile now along with the T51R velocity stack.

what about when you run a topmount manifold?
Old 11-18-2005, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (91dxcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91dxcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get a filter, more surface area=more flow. A screen WILL rob horsepower, it has been proven many times.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bingo

There is WAY more surface area on the surfaces of a nice filter than there is on a screen.

Get the largest K&N you can fit and call it a day. Safer and more powerful
Old 11-18-2005, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (imola-red dc2)

Those HKS cam gears are known for shredding belts apparently. They were discoed for a reason
Ask the Supra Guys.

Screens work ok , but on a more expensive turbo, deff run a filter.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: (itr206)

I'm looking to buy a filter very soon. I'm running a screen right now.

I was on my way to the store the other day and out of nowhere my car got all piggish. At first I thought I blew a charge pipe, but it was worse than that. Turns out I had sucked a leaf up onto the intake part of the turbo and there was almost no air getting through.

I can't imagine what would have happened if I hadn't been running a screen.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: (Everyones Hero)

Old 11-18-2005, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Filter - Screen - Open Intake What Are you Running, Whats The Best? Restriction? (W O T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by W O T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just going to start building all the piping for my crx when the flanges and couplers get here, was deciding on whether or not to make an intake pipe or not. The car is daily driven, zero fenderliner or underbody liner.

Just wonderring what everyone is running, what works the best, what sounds the best.... etc etc

I really dont think i wanna run an intake so Im preally just inbetween squeezing a piece of panty hose/mesh screen behind a custom flange or just running it open. Would the panty hose decrease flow a lot? Curious</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm assuming you got my PM *yesterday*, I want to know when I should be reciving the payment you agreed to refund.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Filter - Screen - Open Intake What Are you Running, Whats The Best? Restriction? (HiProfile)

Use a filter.. i use K&N.. they make all sorts of dimesions
http://www.knfilters.com/
Old 11-18-2005, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Filter - Screen - Open Intake What Are you Running, Whats The Best? Restriction? (STD ONEpoint

i just run a screen and at the track i take it off
fwi DONT USE THOSE CAM GEAR. i had them for 2 year went thru 4 timing belts and the gears them self are shitty the teeth wear out over time and cause belts to slips i had it happen to me..........
Old 11-19-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Filter - Screen - Open Intake What Are you Running, Whats The Best? Restriction? (STD ONEpoint

I figured a filter would definetely decrese flow quite a bit

Thinki I may just go open turbo
Old 11-19-2005, 12:49 PM

You know what else will decrease flow? a damaged compressor wheel.

I've seen track only cars that don't run filters on their turbos.. its not a pretty picture. Now just imagine a street car thats driven everyday...

You can make horsepower with a filter.. Its been done before.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would also say use a filter. The only time I'd ever consider not running a filter personally is if it was next to or impossible with the turbo's intake placement (large turbos, exotic manifolds).

I would highly doubt that there would be a substantial power difference between having a filter or not, and yes a screen would even provide some restriction itself.

Would you run a screen on your intake pipe with no turbo? Or an open intake pipe?

Yeah you can, but why?

just my .02

to me it's somewhat analogous to riding a motorcycle on the open highway with the facemask up with your mouth wide open. big bugs are kinda heavy at 100 mph
Old 11-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by W O T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I figured a filter would definetely decrese flow quite a bit

Thinki I may just go open turbo</TD></TR></TABLE>

A filter does not decrease flow that much, I'd rather lose 1 hp than have a rock expletive up my turbo

Quick Reply: Filter - Screen - Open Intake What Are you Running, Whats The Best? Restriction?