Notices

Fiberglass catch can.... would paint be enough to protect it from oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fiberglass catch can.... would paint be enough to protect it from oil?

An idea I came up with today, I am VERY strapped for space in my Crx turbo build, and have a small area by the driver headlight I can fabricate a small box style catch can. But the angles are to intricate for me to fabricate with sheet metal, plus Im not great at accurately cutting or welding it

If I were to make this box out of chop mat and regular fiberglass resin, would it resist oil on its own, or would some engine enamel type paint protect it from the oil that will be collecting inside it? I planned on wrinkle painting the entire thing anyways after sanding.

Just would like to know if the materials are compatible for the application really. I am really good at fiberglass and could bang this out quite nicely, and being able to use fiberglass would make the brackets, lid and shaping very easy.

I am using a PVC catch can right now, which works fine, but is an eyesore as it doesnt suit the area its in at all. Thanks for the help!!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Fiberglass catch can.... would paint be enough to protect it from oil?

For the amount of time and trouble, why not just trade your fiberglass skills for a few minutes of someone's welding time.

You can make a prototype out of cardboard quite easily.

Personally, I just use whatever catch can I can wedge in an empty space behind the motor.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:56 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fiberglass catch can.... would paint be enough to protect it from oil?

I don't think fiberglass would work. I think it'll crack due to heat and who knows, give off a toxic gas as well
Old 10-06-2013, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by justYncredible
I don't think fiberglass would work. I think it'll crack due to heat and who knows, give off a toxic gas as well
It will take the heat just fine, I make engine bay covers for show cars out of fiberglass all the time and they get much closer to manifolds than mine is going to be. It also wont off gas anything more toxic than the fumes its containing.

Originally Posted by Black R
For the amount of time and trouble, why not just trade your fiberglass skills for a few minutes of someone's welding time.
I practically fiberglass for a living, so it would be "free" I can do this quick and very nice looking. If I had to pay to upgrade this, I probably wouldnt do it, or would buy prefabbed.

Id really like to make this work though, just need to know how oil residue/water in the can would affect it if at all, surprised I cant find any info on that on the internet at all
Old 10-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sunday couldnt wait, went ahead with it. Got the mockup mould and lid done in cardboard and fiberglassed anyways.