Notices

a few turbo questions..

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few turbo questions..

i bought a used full-race kit off here a few months ago and finally go to installing now, i have a few little problems though.

One the turbo had a little bit of shaft play. Like maybe a total of a millimeter of movement. Is that normal or should there be absolutely no shaftplay at all.

Another question is that the lower intercooler pipe has the bov on it and it doesnt really fit too well with the stock traction bar or front cross member. The bar the goes to the LCA from it is right in the way of the bov. Im ordering either an lcon or etd traction bar.. will that tension bar or w/e call it still be in the way?

Another one is that the feed line to the turbo has been cut at one end with no fitting on it.. How and where would this attach to to get the feed from... And the way the turbo is facing, when i put the return line on it face straight out the front of the car towards the ground a little bit. How the hell is that supposed to reach the oil pan.. can i rotate the turbo..or just at least just rotate the middle where the two oil fittings are?

Also when the wastegate was off i was trying to like just push it open with my hand. And couldnt at all. Is it possible for them to seize? Or is that normal too.

Last but not least im still a little iffy about running this thing. The wastegate spring is at 6 psi(thats what the seller told me at least, is there a way to check this?) I have dsm i think 750cc or something close to that(according to the seller), i have hondata s300, plx wideband, walbro fuel pump. The motor, internally, is 100% bone stock. With a tune, will my b16 take 6pounds of boost no problem? I obviously cant beat on it like a did before i boosted it, but will it still be somewhat reliable with a typical daily driving and racing most weekends?

some questions may be stupid but i dont care jsut trying to play it safe.

thanks
Old 07-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a few turbo questions.. (ef dino)

1) What kind of shaft play? In/Out or Side to Side?

2) Yes, you can rotate the center section (CHRA). You will need to loosen the bolts on the compressor and the exhaust housing. (Big hole is for the oil return, small is for the feed)

3) Just buy a new oil feed line. They are not that expensive.

4) If you are worried about the wastegate, take it apart and inspect the spring/diaphram.

5) Stock DSM injectors (5 speed turbo) are 450cc injectors (the automatic dsms have smaller injectors). I would check with the seller to verify.

6) Once you get everything installed, get it tuned. A good tune with only 6psi will be reliable for sure (this is assuming everything was running ok before you turboed it)
Old 07-25-2007, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a few turbo questions.. (herecomesboost)

shaft play is side to side not in and out..

where can i get some cheap oil lines and fittings from?

thanks for the help man.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 07-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A little side to side is ok. You can get oil lines from steathmode on here.