Notices

few questions for turbo guru's

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few questions for turbo guru's

What I am doing is I am tenitately planning to put a twin turbo setup on my 00 S10 pickup with the 4.3 V6. I have been researching this quite awhile being I don't really have the first clue about turbos other than what a BOV, wastegate, FMU, and air/air intercooler do. I talked to the folks at Turbonetics and they told me that a single T4 or a dual T3 setup, "much harder to tune" would probiably work the best. I am looking for something that would build boost fast being the motor is screaming for mercy at 5500 rpm but is a total torque monster from idle all the way up, about 230 ft lbs at the wheels at 1000 rpm and maxes out at 255 at 3200, which is why I am thinking the twin setup. Now problem is that nobody makes a turbo kit for this of course. I looked at adapting over a syty setup but that is impossible being the syty is built off a 4wd chassis with a auto and I have a 2wd that I have converted and put a T56 6 speed outta a 97 Z28 in because the stock 5 speed is a POS and can't handle the stock motor let alone something modded. My main questions are how big are the T3 turbos physical size wise, and about how big of a down pipe would I need with one of those? Turbonetics mentions that one T3 should make about 325 hp so I am sure I would be fine with two and a modest amount of boost, stock compression is 9.2:1 with cast pistons. Also the issue of wastegates is something that I am kinda concerned about. I know the wastegate lets exhaust bypass the turbo so as to not "overboost" the motor. Being I have a 00 that has the southwest emissions package on it I don't have what we call AIR injection. What that does is there is a electric air pump that pumps fresh air into the exhaust manifolds to burn off any excess fuel that might have made it's way in there, most of the older cars have them. What I was considering doing was getting a set of those newer truck exhaust manifolds with the AIR injection having a turbo flange made to fit the exhaust manifold collectors and using the AIR injection provisions to use for the external wastegates being I am trying to make as much space as possible. Ok fine and dandy it should work in theory but I am wondering is there at certain size that the wastegate holes have to be in order to let enough exhaust by to prevent the motor from overboosting? I don't have a set of the exhaust manifolds that have the AIR injection provisions on them but I think the AIR injection holes are about 1/2" to 3/8" in diameter from just a quick visual inspection on other peoples trucks, which is why I am in question. I know this is kinda different from the norm around here but I figured this would be the best place to ask a question like this being the truck forums are all about bagging trucks ect ect, and if they are into drag racing they are going with superchargers or nitrous. Few actually drag race these things so I have little to no help to be found with my people. I haven't talked to Lingenphilter (sp) yet being anything that they would recommend to me would cost an outragious price and if I had money like that to mess around with I would have a Z06 or some other 50+K sports cars if you know what I mean. For you DC/MD/VA guys if you were up at Capital the 9th of August I was the one with the black S10 running 14.90's, truck has just bolt-on's on some old Dunlop SP 5000's, 'no those weren't drag radials LOL' and that conversion I meantioned earlier. Anyways, thanks alot for your help guys.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:12 PM

Default Re: few questions for turbo guru's (kossuth)

People say anything is possible with enough money. It sounds really difficult to accomplish what your trying to do with your space restrictions and all, I can't answer any of your questions but I'd like to make a few suggestions...How about internal wastegate instead of external...external might save you room but would be more to set up also maybe u could do your setup WRX style where you have a single turbo but your exhaust pipes come from both exhaust banks and meets up wherever there is room for that turbo sorry thats all i have otherwise, u know cyclones or typhoons are pretty nice hint hint.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:21 PM

Default Re: few questions for turbo guru's (maddskilzz)

I thought hard about the single turbo with a crossover pipe because it would be cheaper and easier to do, just like what the sytys are like also the Grand Nationals and the 89 Turbo Transam. Just tough with where I really need to put the turbos at. I could do a single T3 but that wouldn't be worth the time and effort on an engine this size. Also, about what is the physical size of a T4 because I could do a single T4 and be ok. I almost would have to put the turbos facing downward basically in the back of the motor by the starter and all that crap. Originally thought about just flipping around the manifolds and mounting them upside down and flip flopping them from the driverside to the passenger side that way you could actually get to them but that is next to impossible with how my accessories are mounted. Thanks for the ideas, keep em coming